• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Remember when the B12 was good at basketball

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upsets happen this time of year. Did the Big 12 have a bad day, yes. Is it still the best conference this year, yes.

I look at it this way. The Big 12 lost three coin flip games(literally two by 1 point, and Texas/Butler was a two point game with 1:30 left) Those three all go against them and they suck(according to the public)

The ACC had three coin flip games(two teams were playing defense up 2, with the other team on offense for a potential GW, and then hit an actual GW) They happen to win all of them, and now they're awesome.

That logic makes no sense. It's the tournament for christ sakes. I don't know why people want to make absolutes about anything based on one game scenarios. We ALL know UK is the best team, should they happen to lose, it still doesn't diminish the fact they are the best. Same with Big 12 this year.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^All accept for stating the B12 was the best this year, you have some valid points. But the B12 was not head and sholders above other conferences. Some good teams...but none are really great teams.

I agree in saying the one point losses were a coin flip so it doesn't really prove much on a grand scale. We'll see what reamins with the other....what....five teams still in it.

Now if WV loses to buffalo.....

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 could easily go 4-0 today. It's all about the match ups.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^All accept for stating the B12 was the best this year, you have some valid points. But the B12 was not head and sholders above other conferences. Some good teams...but none are really great teams.

I agree in saying the one point losses were a coin flip so it doesn't really prove much on a grand scale. We'll see what reamins with the other....what....five teams still in it.

Now if WV loses to buffalo.....

How many conferences have great teams though? I think it says alot about the overall state of college basketball when you have #3 seeds struggling to beat #14 seeds, and #4 seeds struggling to beat #13 seeds, and so on and so forth. There is ONE outstanding team IMO in UK. I'd have Nova as the 2nd best team, but that's just me. Like I said does it make the ACC awesome that they held on for one possession wins against much lower seeded teams? IMO, no. Each league probably has one great team. The ACC could have two depending if Justin Anderson is completely healthy, but he doesn't look like he was during the ACCT.

The Big 12, despite yesterday, still had the best 2014-2015 year.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upsets happen this time of year. Did the Big 12 have a bad day, yes. Is it still the best conference this year, yes.

I look at it this way. The Big 12 lost three coin flip games(literally two by 1 point, and Texas/Butler was a two point game with 1:30 left) Those three all go against them and they suck(according to the public)

The ACC had three coin flip games(two teams were playing defense up 2, with the other team on offense for a potential GW, and then hit an actual GW) They happen to win all of them, and now they're awesome.

That logic makes no sense. It's the tournament for christ sakes. I don't know why people want to make absolutes about anything based on one game scenarios. We ALL know UK is the best team, should they happen to lose, it still doesn't diminish the fact they are the best. Same with Big 12 this year.

I get your point but I disagree.

If Iowa st and Baylor won 1 pt games yesterday... the discussion today is not how awesome the big12 is... I would expect more of "wow, maybe the big12 isn't that great after all".

Playing in a coin flip game with a 14 seed is always going to be viewed negatively, win or lose, whether that's fair or not. Actually losing just makes the discussion more vehement.

I've already heard people today questioning UNC and Notre Dame's abilities to keep winning in the tourney.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point but I disagree.

If Iowa st and Baylor won 1 pt games yesterday... the discussion today is not how awesome the big12 is... I would expect more of "wow, maybe the big12 isn't that great after all".

Playing in a coin flip game with a 14 seed is always going to be viewed negatively, win or lose, whether that's fair or not. Actually losing just makes the discussion more vehement.

I've already heard people today questioning UNC and Notre Dame's abilities to keep winning in the tourney.

That's fine to disagree. But it's not like the Big 12 didn't deserve the seeds they got, or the selections they got. Based on the season the Big 12 had(which includes Non. Conf.) they should have been rewarded and rightfully so. I guess in general it's dumb to claim conference supremacy based on this single elimination format tournament. Winning/losing in the tournament shouldn't take away from 5 months of basketball.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st round ain't over yet. And i'm pissed at myself - Iowa St never does a dam thing in the tourney or hasn't lately. My memory is shady so correct me if i'm wrong. No one expected UT to go far.

But what gets me is... UAB??? Really.

Top to bottom the Big 12 might have been good, but they weren't great.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 had Kansas, OU, ISU, Baylor, WVU, Oklahoma State and Texas in the top 50 of the RPI, BPI, Ken Pom and Sagarin. That's a staggering number for a conference with 10 teams. The only conference that comes close to that is the Big East in terms of percentage of teams.

The Big 12 was the #1 conference in RPI, BPI, and Sagarin(couldn't find it for KenPom)

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine to disagree. But it's not like the Big 12 didn't deserve the seeds they got, or the selections they got. Based on the season the Big 12 had(which includes Non. Conf.) they should have been rewarded and rightfully so. I guess in general it's dumb to claim conference supremacy based on this single elimination format tournament. Winning/losing in the tournament shouldn't take away from 5 months of basketball.

Yes, I agree. UCLA winning doesn't mean they deserved their spot in the tourney. Baylor losing doesn't mean they didn't deserve their spot.

Evaluating the committee's selections should be done completely independent of tournament results.

That said... a conference underperforming or overperforming might say something about the strength of that conference... it doesn't eliminate 5 months of basketball... but it adds to the story.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Big 12 finally showed up.:L

Thank you Kansas.