• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

REMAINING FREE AGENTS

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisniewski is still looking for a job. He was one that many here(you and me both) want. Does it knock him? He's not even considered a second tier FA. Later second and third tier guys always get singed late after the draft. I see Wiz getting work. Don't see Sims or Dom getting anything but backup roles if even that.

Sims I get, you stated the hatred for him last off season. I thought bringing Dom back for a million was okay and a smart signing last year? At least I remember agreeing with you on that. Now it is okay to bash Mayhew after making a move you agreed with. I get you hate the guy. I agree that he sucks. Just seems odd to use a guy you agreed with as clown hatred.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisniewski is still looking for a job. He was one that many here(you and me both) want. Does it knock him

He has visited several teams and will very likely be snapped up once signings no longer factor into the comp pick equation.

I thought bringing Dom back for a million was okay and a smart signing last year? At least I remember agreeing with you on that.

I did agree that bringing him back at $1.5m coming off his best season ever made sense. But that took place AFTER Millenhew had already failed to use any vision in seeing the Zach Martin made fantastic sense. We didn't pick him, at which time it made bringing back Ravioli the best option.

Now it is okay to bash Mayhew after making a move you agreed with. I get you hate the guy. I agree that he sucks. Just seems odd to use a guy you agreed with as clown hatred.

???? See answer above. I bashed him for his staggering lack of vision. At $1.5m I might very well have still brought back Ravioli after we drafted Martin. It was his versatility that made his so attractive given that he fit anywhere on the line. Sims was set to be a FA at the end of the season and Ravioli wasn't even under contract at the time of the draft. Even if they had already decided to try and bring Ravioli back Martin is still an easy pick to make IMO, especially after you just hired a coach who runs a more conservative offense where the running game is so important. Instead, we take Ebron and The Clown Show celebrates honking their noses and spraying water out of a flower.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many would have squawked at the fact we drafted a lineman at number 10 who was not a left tackle. His vision was sign Dom and draft a interior linemen 3rd to replace him. His vision there was clear to me.

I am not supporting the guy. It just old every move is scrutinized with hind sight judgement.

You prolly would have scoffed at the fact Johnson was giving a second round tender, once nobody made a offer.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Donald pick I get because he had a productive season. He gets drafted by the Browns and socks we are not even using him in this debate to say Mayhew is an idiot.

IMO 0BJ would have never had the production he had in New York with Detroit, but if he did then Golden Tate would've never had the season he had and therefore Mayhew would be a idiot for signing him to the contract he did.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Many would have squawked at the fact we drafted a lineman at number 10 who was not a left tackle. His vision was sign Dom and draft a interior linemen 3rd to replace him. His vision there was clear to me.

I am not supporting the guy. It just old every move is scrutinized with hind sight judgement.

You prolly would have scoffed at the fact Johnson was giving a second round tender, once nobody made a offer.

Lineman are top 10 picks, TE's aren't. By vision I am referring to seeing more than just what is right in front of him. Such as already having a shitty LG who would be a free agent after the season, questions still at the RT position, there was talk of Reiff kicking inside, and an aged C who would likely need to be replaced at the end of the season as well if he was brought back. Martin was the perfect solution to that, not a TE. I also think it flies in the face of the offense the coach he just hired planned to run. Fair question to ask as to whether they are even close to being on the same page.

No hindsight at all, I was all over the record saying Martin should be the pick and the vision I described is exactly why?

Made a post some time ago about the one I didn't actually post wondering what they were thinking with an original round tender. Didn't agree with it then, don't agree with it now. He would not have gotten an offer from someone else with a 2nd rd tender, that's why you put it on him, to make sure you don't lose him. $2.34m for a six sack guy on limited snaps who brings a relentless motor? Yeah, I'll pay that.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisniewski is still looking for a job. He was one that many here(you and me both) want. Does it knock him? He's not even considered a second tier FA. Later second and third tier guys always get singed late after the draft. I see Wiz getting work. Don't see Sims or Dom getting anything but backup roles if even that.

Sims I get, you stated the hatred for him last off season. I thought bringing Dom back for a million was okay and a smart signing last year? At least I remember agreeing with you on that. Now it is okay to bash Mayhew after making a move you agreed with. I get you hate the guy. I agree that he sucks. Just seems odd to use a guy you agreed with as clown hatred.

I just don't see it. Coaches have stated they want Swanson to be the center. Wiz is not going to come here to play guard. Drafting a Cam Irving makes more sense. Let him compete for the Center position and the loser plays Guard.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dom and Sims are certainly who he means there. Both want to keep playing, neither have retired. Both have agents that would be out there looking for a team but neither have been mentioned even once as linked to a team that has even brought them in for a visit.

It's sad that for a team wanting to run the ball that two starters from last year cant find even one team interested in them. What he is saying, and I complete agree with, is that when your o-line is garbage it should surprise no one that we cant run the ball.

And although I realize its getting old now but who do we draft, a TE with a very high drop %. The stupidity of that pick is beyond belief. I have said that LewanDUI lacks vision numerous times but so does Mayhew. They hadn't resigned Ravioli when the draft came along and he was a FA, Sims was coming off a shit year and was set to be a FA after the season, and although he had played well the year before you had an undrafted second year player penciled in to be the starter at RT.

Martin was evaluated as a guy who could play all five positions on the line. He would have competed to push out the losers at LG and C, and perhaps even move Reiff to the right side. At an absolute minimum he provides great depth at multiple positions and is a starter for sure this year.

But then they would of had to pass on the second best offensive player in the draft.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't see it. Coaches have stated they want Swanson to be the center. Wiz is not going to come here to play guard. Drafting a Cam Irving makes more sense. Let him compete for the Center position and the loser plays Guard.
Why do you not see Wiz coming in and Swanson playing G, but you can have Irving playing C and not Swanson. As you should not see that either. Afterall the most honest guys in Detroit stated they want Swanson at C.
Is it more your desire to see Irving drafted and Wiz does not fit your agenda?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you not see Wiz coming in and Swanson playing G, but you can have Irving playing C and not Swanson. As you should not see that either. Afterall the most honest guys in Detroit stated they want Swanson at C.

Forget about Wiz....

5ee1ef39cb6171b945f80f8585f78732.jpg

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not at all. I wanted us to draft Wiz that year. I like him better than Hudson. I would be fine with Wiz at center and Swanson at guard too.

The point is Wiz will command a big salary for a center, at least 4 mil a year. When you bring in a guy like that, it is basically implying just the opposite of what they are saying about Swanson. You are also committing to Wiz as the center. If you dont, he will not bother coming here. When you draft a rookie, it is not a commitment of any kind and Swanson would have to be outplayed by a rookie to lose the center position. That is the normal course for any player.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much salary he will command now? You are at getting into late FA pickups.

I wanted the kid from Colorado St Weston Richburg last year. Not big on Swanson at C. Mainly because I like veteran callers on the line. (Richburg if it had to be a young kid graded out the best for blocking assignment calls)
Throughout Dom's lackluster career, the one thing he could do was make the right calls. Now the execution from him and others was not stellar. Wiz is still very young and about to hit his prime years.
I see four holes that have to be addressed in three picks. I see Wiz as a way to get one need taken care of, and he is prolly best remaining FA left of the holes to fill.

Plus, nowadays I tend to think opposite of what Mayhew says anymore.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good teams have to hit in the mid to late 20's. Because thats were they are drafting year after year. The Free Agency is like the black market. You really don't know what your getting or how long it will be good for. Nothing comes with a warranty.

I do think the Lions have done well in getting Reiff, Swanson, and Warford. But without a solid RT and a mobile guard the Lions will be a patchwork unit that can't run the ball and gets their QB killed. IMO Waddell and Lucas will be good depth pieces but I doubt they can be a png term answer.

As for filling out the line I would rather see Detroit take a chance on Barksdale than bringing back Sims. Barksdale is a good run blocker, not so much a pass blocker but he could definitely help the run game.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see Barksdale coming in. At 23 the option of a great RT is there. IMO not the only way, but smart way if you do go RT at 23 is already having the G/C situation settled before draft day. Smart way because RT first means you still need a interior guy somewhere in the draft.

I'm not ready to give up on Waddle and Lucas just yet though.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much salary he will command now? You are at getting into late FA pickups.
Precisely why you roll the dice on bringing him in. I read somewhere that he was looking for a deal in the $3m/yr range. But that was some time ago and obviously his market value is below that. I am perfectly good with a 3yr/$6.6m so long as its put together the right way. $900k SB, $900k G, salary 1.1, 1.9, 2.7. Caps 1.4, 2.2, 3.0. Very easy out after just one year with only $600k dead. Little of no risk, plenty of upside.

Wiz is still very young and about to hit his prime years.

That's why he is worth bringing in. He doesn't offer versatility but he is an experienced player who is most definitely an upgrade over Ravioli and IMO a better player at this point over a completely unproven Swanson.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisniewski signed with Jags. Not sure yet on how much his contract was. Nothing in the article and nada yet on Spotrac and OTC.

One year deal and if anyone could over pay it was the Jags.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 year 2.5 million are the early rumors

edit

Good deal for Jags. More of a prove it type deal. Shoulder surgery concerns I guess. Many teams passed on him so there is definitely some issue. Plus he was just above average but not a superstar in his few years so far.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wisniewski signed with Jags. Not sure yet on how much his contract was. Nothing in the article and nada yet on Spotrac and OTC.

One year deal and if anyone could over pay it was the Jags.

Groan. I hate this hip new trend of slapping the "overpay" tag on anyone the dear old Lions don't sign. Stop acting like all of a sudden the Lions are the beacon of financial sense anytime they don't sign someone. Where are the "3 or 4 great players" the Lions were supposed to get with the money they saved by nor "over paying" Suh? Where's the Ngata extension? Levy extension? Anyone? Money means nothing if the players don't want to play here.

The Lions wish they could "over pay" for a few guys right now.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well 2.5 is not overpaying. You can hate the new hip term all you want. It happens.

I deal with drama spewed by you, I guess you can deal with overpay once in awhile.

I made a statement that if he got overpaid, the Jags were in position to do it. You are just taking any and every chance you get to stand on a soap box about Mayhew and Lewand. I get it. You hate them. I think they suck and are middle of the road. I just don't have go on and on about any and every move.

Considering some have been discussing solutions and ways to better the team. Wiz and his monetary value of his contract came up a few times. You would prolly know this Rob if you followed along instead of just posting to follow along with your current agenda. Which is to prove this new mediocre team is better than the mediocre team I cheer for.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well 2.5 is not overpaying. You can hate the new hip term all you want. It happens.

I deal with drama spewed by you, I guess you can deal with overpay once in awhile.

I made a statement that if he got overpaid, the Jags were in position to do it. You are just taking any and every chance you get to stand on a soap box about Mayhew and Lewand. I get it. You hate them. I think they suck and are middle of the road. I just don't have go on and on about any and every move.

Considering some have been discussing solutions and ways to better the team. Wiz and his monetary value of his contract came up a few times. You would prolly know this Rob if you followed along instead of just posting to follow along with your current agenda. Which is to prove this new mediocre team is better than the mediocre team I cheer for.

Over pay is just something fans say to feel better about their crappy team.

"I'm sure glad the Lions didn't overpay for Suh!!" Lions fan sipping $10 Starbucks, posting from $500 phone.