• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How could he throw the ball away? It was grounding or it was a sack. Follow me...either of those scenarios make it 2nd down. If it is grounding, it would have been 2nd and 20 from our own 47 or so. If he had taken a sack, it would be 2nd and 15ish from the 48. We needed another 15 yards for our 75% kicker to get a chance at a 52 yarder.

Both of those scenarios are significantly better than what happened.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can totally understand your sentiment Ruz. Does he have "it" or not, that remains to be seen. But again it's not about Kirk being the highest paid player in the league, that is the function of timing and nothing more and will change quickly if it happens. No it's about the Redskins and what their other options are. Again look at our history of our QBs and how that position has killed us for generations. Then look at teams like the Browns, Bears, Jags and every other loser and their struggles to find that guy and tell me what our Plan B is to get a QB that's as good or better?

The price is based not on skill alone, it's based more on the old reliable supply and demand curve you learned in Econ 101.

Youre right that price isnt based on skill alone. But the price of something also isnt the same as the value of something.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what i dont get is some of these posters think they could do better if they were in that situation . oh just take the sack or throw it away , like its that easy to read the defense and make the throw under pressure late in the game in less then 3 seconds .

and the countrys of the world cant even name any qb great or not so much who hasnt blown a game with everything on the line yet KC is the antichrist because he did ?

the guys has been starting for 2 years and his numbers are at the all time level . all qbs make mistakes in big games (and non big games ) and the guy should get paid according to market value . his contract within 3 years will be at the "normal level " of his percieved skill level and this whole point will be mute

Of couse I wouldnt make the right decision. Im not an NFL QB. He is. And hes supposed to be a good one. So he deserves to be held accountable for his decisions in that situation.

That said...

Youre totally right that it happens to everyone. That one throw is not a big deal and really shouldnt be the basis of any contract discussion.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how folks think anyone causes an NFL team to win by themselves. So when the QB and his offense leads you to a go ahead score with 1:05 left but the defense can't prevent the other offense from getting a TD or when the QB and is offense lead you to a game winning field goal but the kicker misses it is all the offenses fault? Seriously?? You can say that with a straight face?

#QBwinzzzz

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And i would say that so far Dallas looks to have gotten lucky, though as some have pointed out Dak hasnt really been tested yet as he was rarely put in a position to NEED to pass.

Philly paid out the nose to move up to get Wentz, they in effect used two firsts, a second, a third and a 4th to draft Wentz. The only team to take it harder than that to get a QB was.... well we know who got butt raped on a QB trade.

So which is it, do we hope to get lucky, or take it up the exit chute again in the quest for elite??

And I think theyre gonna regret that trade big time.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, how about be smart? Apparently, that's not an option...

Ruz the smartest GMs in football miss on first round QBs constantly. But I get your point, I really do. Philly is set at QB and that guy will carry that team for 15 years, Dak as well although I'm still not convinced on that one seeing as he is in the perfect situation. As you know I'm a big fan of getting the best QB you can as Andy Dauton and Alex Smith constantly lose to better QBs in January.

But the Plan B you are suggesting has more trap doors than a bad horror movie. First with the demand for QBs from bad teams (not a coincidence that bad teams need QBs) the only way the Redskins can get into position to draft one would be to sacrifice multiple high picks as Philly did. Then of course they need to beat the odds and pick the guy who will turn out to be better than Kirk. Just not a good plan IMO.

Ruzious

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ruz the smartest GMs in football miss on first round QBs constantly. But I get your point, I really do. Philly is set at QB and that guy will carry that team for 15 years, Dak as well although I'm still not convinced on that one seeing as he is in the perfect situation. As you know I'm a big fan of getting the best QB you can as Andy Dauton and Alex Smith constantly lose to better QBs in January.

But the Plan B you are suggesting has more trap doors than a bad horror movie. First with the demand for QBs from bad teams (not a coincidence that bad teams need QBs) the only way the Redskins can get into position to draft one would be to sacrifice multiple high picks as Philly did. Then of course they need to beat the odds and pick the guy who will turn out to be better than Kirk. Just not a good plan IMO.
You gotta take a chance to build a championship team. Tying up 25 million a year in a slightly better than average starting QB is not building a championship team. It's building a team that's objective is going to be... slightly better than average. Even if you make the case that Dak is no better than Cousins (and he is already better, imo), he'll be getting paid peanuts compared to Cousins. We've already had the discussions many times about how you do NOT have to have the first pick to get an outstanding QB, but... even if you do pay multiples firsts, you've got 4 years of relatively cheap cap space you're using on your starting QB (who should have more potential than Cousins), so you can use that extra cap space on free agents - and actually give them more than 1 year contracts.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously your assessment of Cousins is different than mine. I happen to believe Kirk can be good enough to win a title with. I can see your point, I really can. And no my goal is not the 2nd round of the playoffs as a ceiling. But I also see your method as resulting in 5-11 over Super Bowl Champs 8 out of 10 times.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You gotta take a chance to build a championship team. Tying up 25 million a year in a slightly better than average starting QB is not building a championship team. It's building a team that's objective is going to be... slightly better than average. Even if you make the case that Dak is no better than Cousins (and he is already better, imo), he'll be getting paid peanuts compared to Cousins. We've already had the discussions many times about how you do NOT have to have the first pick to get an outstanding QB, but... even if you do pay multiples firsts, you've got 4 years of relatively cheap cap space you're using on your starting QB (who should have more potential than Cousins), so you can use that extra cap space on free agents - and actually give them more than 1 year contracts.

its a foolish arguement to worry about the cap . we arent and will not be in any cap problems resigning KC . KC is a TOP 70 player in the entire NFL , let that sink in TOP 70 player , so saying he is a "slightly above avg " qb is a total mis evaluation of his ability . his play puts him at just a notch below the elites and clearly in the very good area of qbs not "slightly above avg "

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The last time we gambled for greatness, we had four years of relatively cheap QB cost, and three years of no first round pick and hoping some one would slip to us in the second round that was capable of coming in and contributing right away. If you make this kind of move you damn well better not miss and come up with another flash in the pan QB, because all it will mean is you end up paying other teams free agents to fill the gap for the multiple first rounders you gave up.

Also lets note... we gave up two extra firsts and a 2nd to move up four spots. Total cost on RG3 was three 1st and a 2nd. So basically you are saying, lets put all our eggs in the QB basket, because we accept that aside from another trade, we are not going to have a first rounder. Now lord help us if we finish say 8-8, and we are picking at around #17 and we want to trade up for a QB. I can only shudder at what it would cost us to trade up into the top five in order to secure the next great hope.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you going to deny the bashing of Allen handling the KC situation or not?
nope i am denying anyone said they wanted a blank check for KC

and allen deserves to be bashed because we had the opportunity to resign him at a much lower rate but HE killed it

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now you going to deny the bashing of Allen handling the KC situation or not?
and stop being a chicken shit and changing the subject , show me where anyone said give KC a blank check or else shut up about that lie and propaganda

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope i am denying anyone said they wanted a blank check for KC

and allen deserves to be bashed because we had the opportunity to resign him at a much lower rate but HE killed it

If it wasn't you some poster said pay KC no matter what b/c we have no other option. We already went through this. Kc would have never signed the lowball offer SM gave. Why do you think that offer was a fair market value offer? Sm wanted KC to play on the tag b/c the ORGANIZATION was still unsure if they were going to give him a big deal or not. It was SM's idea of giving him the tag. plus he was praises for it by other Gm's such as Bill Polian.This was explained in the recent article. Rumors were that KC wanted 25m per season after the 2015 season, which was nuts. That is why the tag was placed on him.

I was constantly debated on here b/c I didn't want to give KC the highest paid Qb in the league type deal. So then I was called a KC hater b/c I did not want to do this. From my memory it s was you, shark, socal and others who said this. This was around Feb and March.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it wasn't you some poster said pay KC no matter what b/c we have no other option. We already went through this. Kc would have never signed the lowball offer SM gave. Why do you think that offer was a fair market value offer? Sm wanted KC to play on the tag b/c the ORGANIZATION was still unsure if they were going to give him a big deal or not. It was SM's idea of giving him the tag. plus he was praises for it by other Gm's such as Bill Polian.This was explained in the recent article. Rumors were that KC wanted 25m per season after the 2015 season, which was nuts. That is why the tag was placed on him.

I was constantly debated on here b/c I didn't want to give KC the highest paid Qb in the league type deal. So then I was called a KC hater b/c I did not want to do this. From my memory it s was you, shark, socal and others who said this. This was around Feb and March.

You are right Dean... it was me. Give him a blank check. Because we either pay him now, pay him later, or watch him leave for nothing. If we trans tag him we likely lose him for nothing. If we franchise tag him, we likely pay him even MORE than you want to now.. so we either over pay him now (in your opinion), over pay him later, or let him walk for nothing and do another Dumbshit3 trade. great plan.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again - please show me even the slightest proof that Cousins wanted what you term to be the highest QB contract in the NFL. You won't find it because it doesn't exist & you subsequently admitted that you don't have a clue about what is being asked/demanded from either side.

You also left the part out about how you were practically doing cartwheels at mention of any rumor about Cousins being traded & to this day you pretty much harp on any shortcoming for Cousins while basically never giving him credit for anything (in spite to the fact that you were his biggest fan at the beginning of last season).

You strike me as someone (like Allen) who loves picks, FAs & other new toys. If they falter you are the first one demanding that the team get rid of him & find yet another new toy. This is not how you run a football team.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@SoCalWizFan Im still waiting for one of the "We cant pay him what he wants" crowd to explain exactly how its smart to put ourselves in a position where we either

1. End up paying him MORE

or

2. End up needing to draft a QB??

Because logic says, if the Skins perform to the level we hope, then Kirk is likely going to cost even more. And if we are in a position to draft a QB without trading up, well then the team as a whole failed rather spectacularly.