• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Redskins' Kirk Cousins: Still far apart on extension terms

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, how about be smart? Apparently, that's not an option...

So what exactly is smart about continuing to pay some one year to year more than he would have cost you over the same time period on a long term deal??

Again unless you expect Kirk to fail, there is no logic in tagging him this year.

If you expect the team, and more importantly the player to improve, all you are doing is driving his eventual price up.

And again, if the team finishes where we want them to ( namely at least in the playoffs), the cost of walking away from Kirk and drafting a rookie is likely going to be as much if not more than we gave up for RG3.

So lets stop mistaking a smart move for one born of stubbornness.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering that there are STILL 4 teams unsettled at QB not named Washington, if the league at large had as much faith in McCarron as you do, some one would have pulled the trigger on getting him. IM also curious as to how Schuler, Campbell, and Ramsey were Gimmick QBs, pocket passers and a game manager sure. Granted Bob was a gimmick straight out of the circus.

Also, as an off shoot, say McCarron does hit the FA Market next year, considering Oswiler got $17M a year, and the likeliness of the Carr and Stafford deals driving the QB market up... just how much do you think McCarron is going to cost? Or rather, if $24M a year is too much to give Kirk, and assuming the market for a starting QB is going to be around that, how cheap do you think starting over with what you have deemed an elite QB is going to be?? Because plenty of people outside this board have said Kirk IS a franchise QB, so the next logical step if McCarron is better than Kirk is... he must be elite right??

Not necessarily, there was this little thing called a draft where building their teams became the priority. There were in fact GM's touting him during the buildup to the draft. It is a crude thing to do to ask someone to account for what others did or did not do, if you don't mind let's stick to this team and what they should and shouldn't do for a while.

In as much as Shuler, Campbell and Ramsey were concerned, what chance did any of them legitimately have at success. Each of them came into horrific situations with little to nothing being offered to help them. Specifically, Shuler was a desperation pick in the 1994 draft that included such notable QB names as:

Trent Dilfer
Perry Kline
Doug Nussmeier
Jim Miller
Gus Frerotte
Jay Walker
Steve Matthews
and Glenn Foley

We all know what happened to Campbell, a revolving number of coordinators, and a front office that included both Jim Zorn and Vinny Cerato. Ramsey suffered for shellshock after having to block for himself and QB simultaneously.

I'll respond to the second part next post.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, as an off shoot, say McCarron does hit the FA Market next year, considering Oswiler got $17M a year, and the likeliness of the Carr and Stafford deals driving the QB market up... just how much do you think McCarron is going to cost? Or rather, if $24M a year is too much to give Kirk, and assuming the market for a starting QB is going to be around that, how cheap do you think starting over with what you have deemed an elite QB is going to be?? Because plenty of people outside this board have said Kirk IS a franchise QB, so the next logical step if McCarron is better than Kirk is... he must be elite right??

What separates the really good and really bad in this league is well reasoned foresight and planning. McCarron should have never been left in Cincy this year, but Bruce is smarter than everyone else and insists that Kirk will get signed with that 20 million dollar offer. There's the problem. Had we finally either gotten that deal done or traded him this year, we could have traded for McCarron resigned him to a very friendly contract like the one originally missed in dealing with Kirk and not missed a beat. Now even the price for him is going to go up...I don't know what others call this sort of shenanigans, but I'm betting that around the NFL in a face to face Bruce is well respected, behind his back, a punch line.

F.R.A.N.C.H.I.S.E....good spelling, now let me try, E.L.I.T.E... ahhh, another good spelling and interestingly enough, NOT the same thing! Therein lies the problem, conflating two things. so let me ask you, is it possible to be a franchise QB and NOT be elite? (hint: we have a franchise QB and he's far from elite).Your logic fails!!

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude I'm in my 60's and I've said on many occasions that we all learn something new in the course of our lifetimes. Unfortunately, or fortunately, we're talking about football, a very specific thing that limits growth that players experience to a very few seasons. To be clear more often than not football players master and peak out by a time certain in their careers, once there the skills erode and they are no longer the prize that they once were.
Damn. And I thought I was old!:suds:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why do people always forget our playoff year ? didnt we have to win like 4 straight games to even get in and KC helped us over the hump ?

how many of you people gave up on that team before the streak ? country , dean breed sty coach ruzious , VT ?

but the giants game is all you wanted to hear ? and you move the goal posts when he backed up his play again

go back and look at the game threads . when the team goes bad everyone sucks dick and they are all bums

this team stunk up the joint for 20 plus years , we finally get started on turning it around and you impatient fools want to chase fools gold

when have been in rebuild mode since gruden took over and we are entering year 4 and just about have the pieces assembled to be a year in year out contender . yet we want to take a step backward because darnold looks prettier even though he could be a flash in the pan

i believe KC will get better and wiser . he isnt bradford or smith . he isnt rodgers either but he is right there with ryan in my opinion

now again if there is a better option out there at QB i am all ears . but when i ask for names all i get is crickets from the choir of doubters

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Up from #85 a year ago, at that rate, a mere 4 years and five games from now and he'll be #1:thumb:

And people doubt when I say Kirk just isnt exciting enough?? So to be worth keeping he needs to be the best player in the league... otherwise he can be replaced by one or two backups, or most of the rookies in next years draft. :thumb:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why credit Brady with all the success when his team wins 75% without him?

Exactly!!..... so much for Kirk being expendable huh?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And people doubt when I say Kirk just isnt exciting enough?? So to be worth keeping he needs to be the best player in the league... otherwise he can be replaced by one or two backups, or most of the rookies in next years draft. :thumb:

Because it absolutely makes no sense, unless you believe that he won't be around in the next 4 and 1/3 seasons. YOU posted the rankings, I'm sure to show that he's moving up, I just did the math.

Just for kicks and giggles though, I'm sure that somewhere on the planet we'll be able to find someone who buys into the Kirk isn't exciting enough line, so you're right....(snickers bar).....Better?:D

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it absolutely makes no sense, unless you believe that he won't be around in the next 4 and 1/3 seasons. YOU posted the rankings, I'm sure to show that he's moving up, I just did the math.

Just for kicks and giggles though, I'm sure that somewhere on the planet we'll be able to find someone who buys into the Kirk isn't exciting enough line, so you're right....(snickers bar).....Better?:D

Dude... when 90% of the people saying we shouldnt keep playing wait and see use the reason.. well he isnt Brady, Rogers or Jesus fucking Prescott... that to me says... he just isnt exciting enough.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude... when 90% of the people saying we shouldnt keep playing wait and see use the reason.. well he isnt Brady, Rogers or Jesus fucking Prescott... that to me says... he just isnt exciting enough.

:thumb: pretty sure those comments came when others attempted to mention Kirk in the same sentence as these guys. (Prescott excepted)

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:thumb: pretty sure those comments came when others attempted to mention Kirk in the same sentence as these guys. (Prescott excepted)

NAh... Im pretty sure those comments come up when people start trying to proclaim that Kirk doesnt deserve to get a market value deal because he is not as good as (Insert elite player name here).

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NAh... Im pretty sure those comments come up when people start trying to proclaim that Kirk doesnt deserve to get a market value deal because he is not as good as (Insert elite player name here).

Yep that too!

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to love how people are dead set on the logic that Cousins is made so much better by the talent around him, and totally ignore the fact that the only differences between the 2014 offense and the 2015 offense were

Matt Jones, Brandon Scherff and Morgan Moses.

So if the offense was that talented, why did we finish bad enough to draft Scherff at #5??

Because RG3 was awful. Not sure what that proves. That really has nothing to do with whether or not Cousins is made better by the talent around him.