• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Recent talks about % of Black players in MLB

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Jackie Robinson talk yesterday, it was brought up that currently only 8% of MLB players are Black. It was said that 40yrs ago that number was at 19%

I heard part of an interview with Robinson's daughter this morning and said she was aware of the numbers and that she has spoke to MLB / Selig on the subject. Said that MLB needs to find ways to attract Black players back to baseball, set up programs for them etc....

My question is.....why is it MLB's job to make sure that there's a certain percentage of African Americans in the league? My understanding is that those who think you're good enough or will evolve someday will offer you a contract. The best players get to play. You should get contract offers because of your talent, not because you're African American.

Did anyone else hear the interview? I think she was on the Michael Kay show yesterday when she said this.

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Jackie Robinson talk yesterday, it was brought up that currently only 8% of MLB players are Black. It was said that 40yrs ago that number was at 19%

I heard part of an interview with Robinson's daughter this morning and said she was aware of the numbers and that she has spoke to MLB / Selig on the subject. Said that MLB needs to find ways to attract Black players back to baseball, set up programs for them etc....

My question is.....why is it MLB's job to make sure that there's a certain percentage of African Americans in the league? My understanding is that those who think you're good enough or will evolve someday will offer you a contract. The best players get to play. You should get contract offers because of your talent, not because you're African American.

Did anyone else hear the interview? I think she was on the Michael Kay show yesterday when she said this.

I have no clue, but I don't think anyone minds. I don't hear about black players complaining.

As far as attracting more youth, that might be an issue. It might start in the inner-cities. I suspect basketball courts are easier to build and maintain than baseball fields. It would be nice to have more public baseball spaces...

Also, I think they count hispanic blacks separately, so David Ortiz (for example) doesn't count towards the 8% - where he might have in the 60's....

J_E_T_S

Rihanna >>> Emma
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball will obviously always dominate the black community, with football second.

What MLB needs to "worry" about (i dont think it's their problem....it's not because of racism).......but if they were to "worry" about it..........Soccer.

Soccer is taking over.

For what it's worth, I am not a soccer player.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 More Latinos then in the past

2 More Asians then in the past. IDK how many are in the majors today, but before Hideo Nomo there was only one in history.

3 Instant money in the NFL and NBA.

4 The perception that baseball is a slow sport for old white guys. Football and basketball are perceived as action games by the ADHD generation.

5 With all that MLB's RBI program hasn't worked.

Lemon Harang Pie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's silly but this is the world we live in now.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It starts with the kids obviously and youth baseball is pretty much dead in the inner city.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while they are at it, i hope they can figure out some programs to get more caucasions into the NFL and NBA, our numbers are dwindling!