• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reasons why the defense isn't great.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you could read my whole post and see the answer to that question rather that cutting one statement out of it. Just a thought.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions D gave up the 5th most points in the 4th quarter in the league. Only 33 sacks from our stellar D-line because our corners can't cover anyone. 2 INT in total is evidence tour corners cannot create turnovers either.

No hole is bigger on the Lions heading into the draft than the secondary.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you could read my whole post and see the answer to that question rather that cutting one statement out of it. Just a thought.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. IMO, if the goal of the team is to just get to the playoffs. Then adding more weapons to the offense is the way to go. If they want to actually compete once they get in the playoffs -- they are going to have upgrade multiple positions in the back 7 or the CBs they have on the team are going to have to get better by leaps and bounds.

33 sacks and only 2 interceptions by your CBs are not going to get it done.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you seem to continuously fail to realize is how bad our offense was last year. That had to be addressed. What I keep telling you is those offensive problems cost us more games than the defensive problems.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you seem to continuously fail to realize is how bad our offense was last year. That had to be addressed. What I keep telling you is those offensive problems cost us more games than the defensive problems.

Detroit moved the ball, they just turned the ball over WAAAAAY too much. They finished 6th in total offense, 5th in passing yards and 18th in rushing yards.

Detroit's issue was turning the ball over -- they had 15 lost fumbles, compared to only 7 fumbles recovered by the defense. Stafford threw 19 interceptions and we had 15 interceptions. That is -12 for the turnover ratio. The offense also averaged almost 25 points a game.

I will also state -- Detroit put up those numbers offensively with no Titus Young, no Ryan Broyles and Nate Burleson missing half the year. How much change do you see happening with the addition of Tate? They may end up 3rd overall in passing, as they won't throw for more than Manning or Brees, but that isn't far from what they did last year without Tate.

It is like Detroit is chasing a dream of an unstoppable offense, but that dream has brought us one winning season and embarrassing performance in the playoffs.

As I said -- I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. IMO, if Detroit wants to get to the next level, upgrading the defense is essential. If their goal is to just get in the playoffs, continue to build the offense and we will see early exits once we get to the playoffs, as top teams will pulverize our secondary.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every QB we faced played great. Mike Glennon crushed it when the Bucs had 1 win lol we couldn't stop anyone.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every QB we faced played great. Mike Glennon crushed it when the Bucs had 1 win lol we couldn't stop anyone.

I know TP likes to say all I do is bitch, but all I want to see the Lions become a winning franchise. I don't want to see them as just being content on getting to the playoffs.

That is why I was so vocal about the Tate signing (even though I know it is a good fit for the offense). I watch CBs like Alterraun Verner and Rodgers-Cromartie get contracts comparable to what Detroit gave Tate and it makes me ill. I know it takes two in FA and we have no idea what the Lions attempted to do or not to do, but it is still upsetting to see players who would make the Lions defense immensely better sign with other teams.

I'm just tired of watching the front office continue to do everything they can to make the offense one of the best in the NFL, while outside the defensive line, the rest of the defense is pieced together and players are starting for us who should be nothing more than backups who give starters a breather.

Alright -- I think that is my last rant on the front office (maybe, lol).

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know TP likes to say all I do is bitch, but all I want to see the Lions become a winning franchise. I don't want to see them as just being content on getting to the playoffs.

That is why I was so vocal about the Tate signing (even though I know it is a good fit for the offense). I watch CBs like Alterraun Verner and Rodgers-Cromartie get contracts comparable to what Detroit gave Tate and it makes me ill. I know it takes two in FA and we have no idea what the Lions attempted to do or not to do, but it is still upsetting to see players who would make the Lions defense immensely better sign with other teams.

I'm just tired of watching the front office continue to do everything they can to make the offense one of the best in the NFL, while outside the defensive line, the rest of the defense is pieced together and players are starting for us who should be nothing more than backups who give starters a breather.

Forget about what Toilet Paper says. He's always crabby. There's simply no getting away from it. Moving forward I'd ignore him.

If you were Mayhew and planned to draft a CB at 10, you would do the same thing, grab your WR in FA now. Just because they haven't upgraded the defense yet, doesn't mean they still won't.

I expect both a CB and WR to be drafted.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The thing is overall our team should be better. And I know you don't think the coaching will matter the best thing we could have done for our secondary is develop. Houston had his worst year ever. He's not usually that bad. Slay has a year under his belt and our staff right now specializes in the secondary. We may bring in a rookie but I don't know that he'll start. As far as the big fa signing, good teams don't rely on that for one. And if we were a playoff team this year we will have a better chance at some of those guys next year if need be. Right now the only way Detroit gets the big names is to over pay and that doesn't help anything. Build a playoff team via the draft. Start there. Fuck the quick fix shit. It hasn't worked.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You will most likely keep bitching then. Those corners went to winners for cheap or went to big money. Neither the Lions are or had. Until they prove to be worthy the studs will stay away IMO. Now for the offense. Bush, Tate and such fit the scheme and see high flying offense. Honestly easy to say you can play next to CJ and see 1 on 1.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those corners went to winners for cheap or went to big money.

That is why I mentioned Verner and Rodgers-Cromartie -- both younger guys, I believe 26 or 27. Both signed contracts comparable to Tate. Both signed with teams who were terrible last year, even though both teams beat the Lions.

I realize guys like Talib and Revis were out of our price range. Both Verner and DRC signed for basically the same amount of guarantee money as Tate got from Detroit.

I do agree whole heartedly about the comment about the high flying offense and it being an easier sell to a FA. It is more about me being selfish and wanting to see a proven #1 CB than another offensive toy. That is all. As a proven #1 CB would make the Lions defense light years better, while adding a proven #2 WR will help the offense, but it isn't as if they are going to produce much more than they already have.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forget about what Toilet Paper says. He's always crabby. There's simply no getting away from it. Moving forward I'd ignore him.

Talk about a couple of bitches- I'm not even involved in this conversation and you're bringing me into it so you can talk shit... Seems about right, though, for the level you two are at.

And I think it's funny that Swarm says he's going to ignore anyone moving forward- the last two weeks or so on here you're done nothing but try to get under people's skin. I don't understand what kind of joy you get out of trying to make everyone think you're a total jackass, but you're certainly succeeding, and you seem to be enjoying the hell of of it for whatever reason...

Still, though, only bitches bring other posters into the conversation so they can keep talking shit even after said posters has lost interest in fighting with Team TMZ (that's you guys, btw...).

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about a couple of bitches- I'm not even involved in this conversation and you're bringing me into it so you can talk shit... Seems about right, though, for the level you two are at.

Exactly what in my post is 'talking shit' about you?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck the quick fix shit. It hasn't worked.

Here is where you lose me Kreton. If the quick fix doesn't work -- why spend 31 million on a #2 WR, when you already have the #1 WR in all of football? Why give out a 25 million dollar contract to the #2 WR before that? Why go and sign the best RB on the market last year?

It seems like the quick fix theory is fine for the offense, but not the defense.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with Team TMZ (that's you guys, btw...).

No offense TP. But your nickname for us makes absolutely no sense. TMZ is a celebrity news show. The only sports they really talk about is paternity tests, marriages and the occassional playboy bunny that is suing for getting hit with a golf club after putting a tee in her butt.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blah blah. Controversial statement. Blah blah.

Swarm can you merge this thread with the whiny bitch fest one?

Every thread turns to shit around here. Maybe merge all of them to one big pile of shit...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No offense TP. But your nickname for us makes absolutely no sense. TMZ is a celebrity news show. The only sports they really talk about is paternity tests, marriages and the occassional playboy bunny that is suing for getting hit with a golf club after putting a tee in her butt.

Nobody is more dramatic than Toilet Paper lol clean up on aisle TP's feelings!

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is more dramatic than Toilet Paper lol clean up on aisle TP's feelings!

Ha! That's a good one coming from the Team TMZ captain. Drama is your drug, man, you can't seem to get enough. You monkeyed with the whole board unannounced to get under people's skin, and have been really pouring it on since. Don't know if you're bored, meds changed, or what, but it seems to be your personal mission each and every day to stir up as much crap on here as possible.

I'm kind of half expecting to not see any more posts from you after that one because I suspect you might have been struck by lightening for typing that one...

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad we are to the "No, YOU started it" phase.

New Plan:
All of you in this stupid snipe fest shut the fuck up for a day. Let Lions fans talk football without hijacking every thread. Let someone speak about who they would like drafted without all of your grade school bullshit.

We all get that both sides don't like each other, from here on out when one of you posts we will all just assume that the other side disagrees. No need to rehash you argument. We all have you down on the disagree side of things. Maybe that way we can go back to discussions about football.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am glad we are to the "No, YOU started it" phase.

New Plan:
All of you in this stupid snipe fest shut the fuck up for a day. Let Lions fans talk football without hijacking every thread. Let someone speak about who they would like drafted without all of your grade school bullshit.

We all get that both sides don't like each other, from here on out when one of you posts we will all just assume that the other side disagrees. No need to rehash you argument. We all have you down on the disagree side of things. Maybe that way we can go back to discussions about football.

I actually went ahead and finally set his profile to "ignore." Now his posts won't even show up when I view the board. Best invention ever of the day!