• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Reality check

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need a reality check. After reading Kreton's post -- I decided to look up Detroit's numbers on defense. Not only are they #1 in total defense. They are the least penalized defense thru 3 games.

If they keep this up -- I will be eating some serious crow.

Good for you man, thes way too many people here that cant admit they are wrong. I was wrong about levy and the offensive lion pre 2013 season.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issues admitting when I'm wrong. I did last year regarding Levy. Thankfully, it is few and far between when I am wrong.:pound:

I really hope the injuries stop. We just don't have the depth needed to withstand too much more.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kreton will always be right whenever the lions do well, and he will always be wrong when they dont. If thats realism, then give that fucker his crown.

If the Lions are doing bad I'm going to be pissed so might as well be wrong too. I have faith in this team. And always will. Not ashamed of that.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he be an idiot for paying cash instead of taking a loan? I mean, I dont believe him, because why brag about it? But it doesnt seem like a financial mistake. I'm no expert though, IM not rich, bitch.

Because the annual and total interest he would pay on a (let's say)$30,000 dollar loan would be a lot less than the annual and total return he'd get if he invested that into a pretty basic mutual fund.

A truck instantly loses value, and keeps losing that value. The house is a great investment, but don't pay cash- put down a healthy down payment to help get a better interest rate and then invest the rest if you happen to have that much cash on-hand.

That money could be used to grow a whole lot more money, and you can still get the house and truck. Considering that this person is hypothetically pretty financially stable, given that they have that much cash to spend, then their credit is probably pretty good, so their interest rates on their home and auto loans should be pretty low to boot...

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive been on the suh and fairley train forever as have many of us. I had to defend both of them for some fucking reason last year because several posters said they sucked. Still dont get that. The point being, we all get some things right and some things wrong when it comes to the lions. You said the team would come to a screeching halt when they lost to GB sunday. Many posters including myself disagreed. Why arent you beating our chest over that? Because you are insecure, you beat your chest over your correct predictions to overcome your insecurities when you look like a fool on here. Solution. Quit acting like you know more shit than other posters here, because you dont and it makes you look like a giant douche. We had a guy like that at CBS named bslegend that did the same damn thing, starting to think you and him are one and the same.

Not THEM's fighting words - even to Swarm.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would he be an idiot for paying cash instead of taking a loan? I mean, I dont believe him, because why brag about it? But it doesnt seem like a financial mistake. I'm no expert though, IM not rich, bitch.

I think there actually is an answer, but it'd require you to be REALLY rich. If you're saving for retirement, you have a mix of risky and safe investments. If you have enough money that you'd rather pay off your house to avoid mortgage interest as the 'safe' portion, then you're effectively getting a before-tax return of 3-4% compared to a 30-year mortgage with good credit. Shorter-term municipal bonds from cities with AAA ratings are generally tax-free, but only paying about 2% right now, so paying down mortgage is actually not a crazy way to 'save for retirement' as the safe portion of your investments.

I guess if you also think the market is going to crash, then paying down debt is better than losing on your investments. There are thousands of people paid billions of dollars a year to judge this stuff and I'm nowhere near smart enough to out-do them, never mind on a part-time basis.

Meow will have forgotten more than I know about this stuff - my investments are really, really simple because that way I feel like I can understand them. Most of the advice I have received says you need to make a hell of a lot more than 3% return on your money if you're ever going to retire, so most people don't do it - maybe you turn your 30-year mortgage into a 15-year, but that's about it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like an 8% annual return on a basic mutual fund is a pretty safe "low" number, and right now while the market is climbing returns are much higher- some of mine netting almost 30% last year.

The key is not to panic and sell when the market is down. It rises and falls on several year cycles, pretty much without fail. For us younger guys we can afford to ride those peaks and valleys out and make good money for our retirement.

30,000 grand on a truck today is several hundred thousand dollars in 30 years...

Max is right, though- Dr. Eviler has forgotten more about this kind of stuff since breakfast than I'll ever know about it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a nutshell as long as you can get a yearly return that's higher than the interest rate on your loan then you're making money.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for you man, thes way too many people here that cant admit they are wrong. I was wrong about levy and the offensive lion pre 2013 season.

The Lions have been very surprising, especially their defense. But it is only 3 games into the season. Last year they raced to a 6-3 record and everyone was all over them as a playoff team.

Although I like what I have seen I am still with holding any judgement of them being vastly improved. Their injuries and the total lack of depth in the secondary concern me. I just can't see them keeping up the defensive effort with guys signed off the street in the secondary.

I hope I am wrong but again 6-3 last year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions are doing bad I'm going to be pissed so might as well be wrong too. I have faith in this team. And always will. Not ashamed of that.

Dude, I think we are all pissed when the lions are sucking, but good on you for the positive tude.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because the annual and total interest he would pay on a (let's say)$30,000 dollar loan would be a lot less than the annual and total return he'd get if he invested that into a pretty basic mutual fund.

A truck instantly loses value, and keeps losing that value. The house is a great investment, but don't pay cash- put down a healthy down payment to help get a better interest rate and then invest the rest if you happen to have that much cash on-hand.

That money could be used to grow a whole lot more money, and you can still get the house and truck. Considering that this person is hypothetically pretty financially stable, given that they have that much cash to spend, then their credit is probably pretty good, so their interest rates on their home and auto loans should be pretty low to boot...

Ah ok, thanks...that makes sense.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions have been very surprising, especially their defense. But it is only 3 games into the season. Last year they raced to a 6-3 record and everyone was all over them as a playoff team.

Although I like what I have seen I am still with holding any judgement of them being vastly improved. Their injuries and the total lack of depth in the secondary concern me. I just can't see them keeping up the defensive effort with guys signed off the street in the secondary.

I hope I am wrong but again 6-3 last year.

Well not everyone. I was crucified on here at the 6-3 point last year for saying the lions were in trouble. I dont have a problem saying it again, they have way too many injuries, that secondary wont hold up, they cat make field goals, they are turning the ball over too much, they arent converting enough in the red zone, etc. I do think they have the talent to be a winning team this year but they are going to have to play much better.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there actually is an answer, but it'd require you to be REALLY rich. If you're saving for retirement, you have a mix of risky and safe investments. If you have enough money that you'd rather pay off your house to avoid mortgage interest as the 'safe' portion, then you're effectively getting a before-tax return of 3-4% compared to a 30-year mortgage with good credit. Shorter-term municipal bonds from cities with AAA ratings are generally tax-free, but only paying about 2% right now, so paying down mortgage is actually not a crazy way to 'save for retirement' as the safe portion of your investments.

I guess if you also think the market is going to crash, then paying down debt is better than losing on your investments. There are thousands of people paid billions of dollars a year to judge this stuff and I'm nowhere near smart enough to out-do them, never mind on a part-time basis.

Meow will have forgotten more than I know about this stuff - my investments are really, really simple because that way I feel like I can understand them. Most of the advice I have received says you need to make a hell of a lot more than 3% return on your money if you're ever going to retire, so most people don't do it - maybe you turn your 30-year mortgage into a 15-year, but that's about it.

I really shouldnt be responding to you as technically you are my current sworn enemy but thanks for the info. Im definitely not rich but I am able to save most of my money. I am always concerned about the market crashing, that would be devastating. Btw good matchup so far this week.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really shouldnt be responding to you as technically you are my current sworn enemy but thanks for the info. Im definitely not rich but I am able to save most of my money. I am always concerned about the market crashing, that would be devastating. Btw good matchup so far this week.

You're young enough that you don't have to worry too much about the market crashing. When the market is down, especially every 20 years or so when it basically crashes (and always comes back, despite what the panicked "experts" say, every time) young people with aggressive portfolios can make a lot of money by buying up all of the devalued stock that older people who either depend on that money or are just too scared to ride it out.

It's a pretty safe system for people who can commit to putting that money away until retirement and ride out the highs and lows of the market. Generally, as people get closer to retirement and their money has grown substantially they start to move it into lower-risk ventures like CDs and bonds and such that offer a lower return, but are much safer than the stock market.

The people who get themselves in trouble are the ones who constantly borrow against their retirement equity, because each time they do that their money technically becomes the bank's money until it's payed off again.

Keep in mind I'm just a draftsman and really don't know shit about the finer details of the financial realm. This is just my take on this stuff...

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're young enough that you don't have to worry too much about the market crashing. When the market is down, especially every 20 years or so when it basically crashes (and always comes back, despite what the panicked "experts" say, every time) young people with aggressive portfolios can make a lot of money by buying up all of the devalued stock that older people who either depend on that money or are just too scared to ride it out.

It's a pretty safe system for people who can commit to putting that money away until retirement and ride out the highs and lows of the market. Generally, as people get closer to retirement and their money has grown substantially they start to move it into lower-risk ventures like CDs and bonds and such that offer a lower return, but are much safer than the stock market.

The people who get themselves in trouble are the ones who constantly borrow against their retirement equity, because each time they do that their money technically becomes the bank's money until it's payed off again.

Keep in mind I'm just a draftsman and really don't know shit about the finer details of the financial realm. This is just my take on this stuff...

Right, I just meant in general it would be devastating to the economy. I dont have that much money in the stock market that I would take a huge hit but could definitely see secondary issues caused by the economy tumbling. Like if I cant have a fifth every weekend lord help us all.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max is right, though- Dr. Eviler has forgotten more about this kind of stuff
since breakfast than I'll ever know about it.

Maybe, but I don't remember what I had for breakfast either. :noidea:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My concern right now is the number of people pulling money out of the stock market. It seems most companies had so much cash on the sidelines they just waited and waited to put the money back into stocks...APPLE. This may keep the market artificially inflated while the true investors are thinking otherwise.

But if you believe the reports Ichan, Buffett, and others are pulling money out.