• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Realistic trade scenarios for Alex Smith

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the realistic trade options for Alex Smith? Not everyone will agree, but IMO he's a top 20 QB in the NFL. He's only 28. He doesn't make much for a starting QB. Great teacher/teammate.

Also, keep in mind that Matt Cassel was traded for an early 2nd round pick. Matt Schaub was traded for two 2nd round picks. Charlie Whithurst was traded by swapping 2nd round picks(a 20 spot improvement for SD) and a 3rd round pick. Kevin Kolb was traded for a 2nd round pick and DRC, a CB who was in the pro bowl two seasons prior.

Here are some realistic scenarios to me:
1) To Philly for Nnamdi Asomugha (along with renegotiated contract)
2) Swapping 2nd Round pick with KC and another pick
3) Swapping 2nd round pick with Philly and another pick
2) To KC for Eric Berry
3) To KC with 4th round pick for Brandon Flowers
4) To KC for 3rd round pick
5) To Philly for 3rd round pick

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the lack of good QB prospects out there and low quality free agent QBs available, I can see a second and maybe a special teams player for him. I can see him going to the Browns, jags, or chiefs.

Last off season people thought Alex had a fluke year. This year he proved it was not just a fluke. Even not playing to the same level as last year he was damn close. he is still young and he has shown he is a willing team mate. So if in the future the team he is on drafts a project and potential starting QB in say the second round he can mentor that QB.

I am just hoping the niners package what they get and some of their numerous picks to move up in this draft to get a great player. The niners don't need starters and have pretty good depth. What they need is someone who can soon replace an older player or someone who can beat out a starter now to make the depth even stronger. I hope people understand what I mean. I feel as though I am not explaining it correctly. I just know they need a few great players instead of a bunch of players who will eventually get cut or not play because they are too far down on the depth chart.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are the realistic trade options for Alex Smith? Not everyone will agree, but IMO he's a top 20 QB in the NFL. He's only 28. He doesn't make much for a starting QB. Great teacher/teammate.

Also, keep in mind that Matt Cassel was traded for an early 2nd round pick. Matt Schaub was traded for two 2nd round picks. Charlie Whithurst was traded by swapping 2nd round picks(a 20 spot improvement for SD) and a 3rd round pick. Kevin Kolb was traded for a 2nd round pick and DRC, a CB who was in the pro bowl two seasons prior.

Here are some realistic scenarios to me:
1) To Philly for Nnamdi Asomugha (along with renegotiated contract)
2) Swapping 2nd Round pick with KC and another pick
3) Swapping 2nd round pick with Philly and another pick
2) To KC for Eric Berry
3) To KC with 4th round pick for Brandon Flowers
4) To KC for 3rd round pick
5) To Philly for 3rd round pick

Everyone of those scenarios is unrealistic.
Realistically we might get a 5th round pick from the Browns or Chiefs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Double Post

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thread, because it talks more about the options we get as the Niners, as opposed to Alex's interests. Plus, I like that you added your input, not just asked the question. Just in case you want to know others' opinions who might not respond to this thread, here are a few threads.

Where would Alex go if he were a free agent?

Why Alex might get traded, not cut.

Thanks, I'll check those threads out. I didn't see anything on the first page of the forum, so I started a new thread.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone of those scenarios is unrealistic.
Realistically we might get a 5th round pick from the Browns or Chiefs.

I disagree. Along with all of the other QB trades that I mentioned, the Jets gave up a 4th round pick for Tim Tebow, who everyone knew would get cut if he wasn't traded. Teams pay for quality QBs. The niners realistically should be able to get at least a 3rd round pick for him.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. Along with all of the other QB trades that I mentioned, the Jets gave up a 4th round pick for Tim Tebow, who everyone knew would get cut if he wasn't traded. Teams pay for quality QBs. The niners realistically should be able to get at least a 3rd round pick for him.

Tim Tebow didn't have a contract for over $8M in 1 year and the Jets were laughed at for making that trade. As you might have noticed they fired that GM.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And the Jets still had a glimmer of hope that Tebow could be a franchise QB... Alex is viewed as a good stop-gap game manager...

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Tebow didn't have a contract for over $8M in 1 year and the Jets were laughed at for making that trade. As you might have noticed they fired that GM.

Also, the Jets made the trade because of Jacksonville. There are teams that might want Alex, but I think Alex might make it clear where he wants to go (which might dissuade other teams from bidding) and the Niners will try that first, but if the compensation is unsatisfactory, they'll wait longer.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Jets still had a glimmer of hope that Tebow could be a franchise QB... Alex is viewed as a good stop-gap game manager...

Bah. I don't buy that for a second. But that's just an opinion. Both Alex and Tebow were and will be looked at cautiously. If Alex is a stopgap, Tebow was a question mark enough not to be a franchise move. As in not looked at a possible franchise, but looked at for that year. Jets thought they could handle the circus and take the money in. Jacksonville wanted the hometown people's money. I think the Jets were as open to Tebow proving them he's franchise as a team would now with Smith. They'll get a contingency plan and it'll be the best they can, for both Tebow and Smith. Just because Kaep is better than Smith and Alex was a stopgap here, doesn't mean that they should or will go into the situation with that in mind fully. They'll be cautious, but not closed-minded. You can always trade a developed backup if Smith does well. Yes, I'm telling you there's a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I'm saying is not that I object to the game manager or the assumption of the stop gap, I just don't agree with the glimmer of a hope with Tebow. There's at least a glimmer of hope with Smith if there's one with Tebow. I said in another thread that I hope his professionalism doesn't lend to someone not taking him seriously because he'd be professional next time in replacement. Give him a try with an open mind, draft a guy to back him up - the best backup you can develop, trade one. Don't use his professionalism against him, only for him. Make football decisions, so yes, he may end up as a backup, but don't use it against him. Give him and the backup a chance.

justforkicks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

GMs have been making bad trades for QB's way before Tebow, look at the examples I've given. If they're willing to give up that much for all of those other guys along with signing them to giant contracts, they'll definitely give up more than a 5th rounder for Alex.

Again, you may disagree with me, but I believe that Alex is a top 20 QB, top 15 in some cases. Top 15-20 QB's get more on the trade market than 5th round picks.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we should be happy with a 4th/5th round pick. Obviously we would all like more, but I just don't see it.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This makes no damn sense, why would KC send a first round pick to us to get Brandon Weeden from the Browns? Also, three team trades don't happen. He doesn't list a source, so discard, but at least make sense!

https://www.facebook.com/sf49erswin

"There are rumors flying around on other sites that there is a three way deal being discussed that would send Alex Smith to Cleveland and Brandon Weeden to KC, the 49ers would receive a future second round pick from the Browns and reportedly a first round future pick from KC? seems unrealistic.

Supposedly Lombardi is moving fast at the request of Norv Turner to acquire Smith--RF"

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I don't believe this is even a rumor. Don't know why I posted it. I guess I just wanted to say how stupid it was.

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This makes no damn sense, why would KC send a first round pick to us to get Brandon Weeden from the Browns? Also, three team trades don't happen. He doesn't list a source, so discard, but at least make sense!

https://www.facebook.com/sf49erswin

"There are rumors flying around on other sites that there is a three way deal being discussed that would send Alex Smith to Cleveland and Brandon Weeden to KC, the 49ers would receive a future second round pick from the Browns and reportedly a first round future pick from KC? seems unrealistic.

Supposedly Lombardi is moving fast at the request of Norv Turner to acquire Smith--RF"

Lol.. So, we get KC and Cle's pick? I mean I wont say no.. I doubt Weeden would go to KC, he doesn't seem to fit what Reid looks for in a qb.. Just a personal thought/observation. I do think that Cle is the most logical place with the familiarity with Turner.. KC could work with the right circumstances..
I think Cle would easily give up a 4th, possibly a 3rd. I would love to end up with 3 3rd picks.. Trading to gain higher quality players, etc...

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Look at what Arizona traded in the Kolb deal which was based off potential. Alex is proven starter material with winning playoff experience. His contract is also currently two years at an affordable 8-9 mil per. If you don't think QB needy teams would salivate over that prospect, wake up. I would be disappointed if we received anything less than a third round pick.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at what Arizona traded in the Kolb deal which was based off potential. Alex is proven starter material with winning playoff experience. His contract is also currently two years at an affordable 8-9 mil per. If you don't think QB needy teams would salivate over that prospect, wake up. I would be disappointed if we received anything less than a third round pick.

I think you can get more for potential, which is opposite of my personality, but I understand it as far as football. I mean, unproven guys should be gotten by little risk and worked out. But that's not how it works. Reid would develop the backup and have a good reputation and exploit it. If Kolb had been traded to a team with a good oline, with just say, a retiring QB, he could have worked out, still can technically.

I feel Smith could do more if asked to do more, but it wouldn't be as efficient. There would be more TDs and yards, but more INTs, too. Smith is now risk adverse, so it would likely be a balanced risk, but still. My expectations was at first a low pick 5-7th because everyone knows we'd cut him. But now, a 5th or lower would be disappointing and a 3rd or higher would be exciting. 4th is now my expectation because of HarBaalke.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peter King is silly. He says that the Browns could pry Flacco away from Baltimore if they're not careful and Smith would be traded for by the Ravens. I understand that Flacco was in the same category as Smith was prior to this postseason (carried by the defense, question marks, etc., not comparing physicals), but that doesn't make them that similar. I do think if Flacco did leave or get injured greatly in a skiing accident, Smith would be considered, but don't think it's a move the Ravens would make. If it happened, it would be another similarity between Harbaugh and the Ravens.

Ravens, Flacco meeting this week to start hammering out a new contract