• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RB question

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got into a huge debate with my neighbor over Arian Foster vs Murray. I'm on record for not being the biggest Murray supporter because of his durability issues....That said who would you take today. My Neighbor is a Texans fan I'm obviously a Cowboys fan who lives in Houston. I will never win this argument in Houston. The question was over the past 2 yrs and moving forward who would you take Foster or Murray? I say Murray because of his potential and his youth; I personally believe since Foster got paid he's not been the same RB and is on the down side of his career. Of course Houston wants to run me out of town. Please give me your unbiased opinion or an I just crazy.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill answer if you can answer one question...........

Are we talking for 1 game, 1 season, 2 seasons, rest of careers, what?

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ill answer if you can answer one question...........

Are we talking for 1 game, 1 season, 2 seasons, rest of careers, what?

The past 2 seasons and the rest of Career. Mostly rest of career. Murray is 26 Foster is 27 so age isn't a factor.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i think age is a factor.

past 2 years, is a wash.......

2012 foster had 1424 rushing, 11 tds, 200 some receiving yards and a few touchdowns
2013 hurt with 542 rushin yards

Foster also has 1131 rushing attempts and 189 career receptions

Murray
663 rushing 4tds 251 receiving
1121 rushing 9 tds 350 receiving

still gimme foster for those 2 years

murray has 542 rushing attempts and 114 receptions

the wear and tear on foster is TWICE as much.............thats a difference

so gimme murray on that factor alone

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well i think age is a factor.

past 2 years, is a wash.......

2012 foster had 1424 rushing, 11 tds, 200 some receiving yards and a few touchdowns
2013 hurt with 542 rushin yards

Foster also has 1131 rushing attempts and 189 career receptions

Murray
663 rushing 4tds 251 receiving
1121 rushing 9 tds 350 receiving

still gimme foster for those 2 years

murray has 542 rushing attempts and 114 receptions

the wear and tear on foster is TWICE as much.............thats a difference

so gimme murray on that factor alone

That's the point I was trying to make.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about either one if we could get a play caller to give them the damn ball

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we are talking fantasy then maybe Foster. Cowboys historically under garrett have not run the ball very much. The Cowboys could possibly draft Lewan whom would be perfect in the Cowboys run scheme. Lewan is very mobile. Cowboys could have one of the better run games if they drafted Lewan to play RT. Smith and Frederick are already studs at run blocking

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Snook. I thought you were telling me pretty much all year long that Dallas needs to draft a new RB. Now you have Murray above Foster?

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not Murrays Talent that I Question you know that, I don't trust him to stay healthy for 16 games. That said he doesn't have the mileage and the severity of injuries that Foster has. That's why I'm not opposed to bringing CJ2K in as an insurance policy. I'd rather draft the kid out of Auburn though.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Foster hasn't been good 2 years straight since he got paid.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here is another small thought on the subject.
Murray has produced (when healthy) behind a pretty bad line. (not counting last year)
Foster has produced when he took over as a starter behind an excellent Running line.
Hell there Second string produced & even their 3rd string produced behind that line. Anyone that ran for the texans did well.
Stats dont always tell the whole story. To borrow a line from Twist. This isnt Fantasy football.
Dont know much about Fosters ability to block & protect QB & all the little things that arent on stats, but I can see an argument for Murray being better.

Think it is an interesting debate, since you can make a case for either side.
So the wear & tear to me would really be the tiebreaker.
If right now they said you can have Foster on the boys or keep Murray (for the same money for either) I would take Murray.
He has proven what he can do with a crap line. Now I am curious to see what he does with a good line, So Garrett RUN THE DAMN BALL!!!!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the NFL stats have shown that when a running back the year before has so many carries the next season they are set up for failure or at least a huge drop off. I think you saw that this past season with Foster in his body still hadn't recovered from the season before. The Texans over the last few years have just ran him into the ground. Now a whole year off I expect him to come back playing a lot better.

Honestly at this point I have more trust in Foster to stay healthy than I do Murray. Foster before this past season was very healthy. Murray on the other hand just about every year something happens to him keeping him out of at least a handful of games if not more. Same thing happened to him in college. The kid has potential to be great if it wasn't for the injuries. Talent wise I would rate Murray ahead of Foster but for two backs with injury concerns Foster worries me less that he is going to miss big parts of the season.

Having said all of that I would still probably take Murray at this point as he has that homerun threat ability that every team wants from the running back position.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the NFL stats have shown that when a running back the year before has so many carries the next season they are set up for failure or at least a huge drop off. I think you saw that this past season with Foster in his body still hadn't recovered from the season before. The Texans over the last few years have just ran him into the ground. Now a whole year off I expect him to come back playing a lot better.

Honestly at this point I have more trust in Foster to stay healthy than I do Murray. Foster before this past season was very healthy. Murray on the other hand just about every year something happens to him keeping him out of at least a handful of games if not more. Same thing happened to him in college. The kid has potential to be great if it wasn't for the injuries. Talent wise I would rate Murray ahead of Foster but for two backs with injury concerns Foster worries me less that he is going to miss big parts of the season.

Having said all of that I would still probably take Murray at this point as he has that homerun threat ability that every team wants from the running back position.
All good points. I need Murray to prove this year he can stay healthy. He did for the most part last year I would like to see him give us at least another 12 to 13 games this year. Some injuries can't be avoided I get that, but when is the same player every year that's troublesome.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All good points. I need Murray to prove this year he can stay healthy. He did for the most part last year I would like to see him give us at least another 12 to 13 games this year. Some injuries can't be avoided I get that, but when is the same player every year that's troublesome.

Especially haven't most of his injuries been leg issues? For a running back even though he is a year younger and has less wear and tear leg issues usually shorten a career for a running back way quicker than that of a heavy work load.

Honestly at this point in their careers they are both huge question marks.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Especially haven't most of his injuries been leg issues? For a running back even though he is a year younger and has less wear and tear leg issues usually shorten a career for a running back way quicker than that of a heavy work load.

Honestly at this point in their careers they are both huge question marks.
he was on IR in 2011 for an ankle injury.
He missed some games in 2012 for a foot injury
Week 7 of 2013 he was doubtful (dont remember if he played or not) with a knee injury & was on the injury report from Week 7 to week 10.
He hasnt had reoccurring injuries like hammy's & such, so I am not one to classify him as injury prone or having a chronic injury. They have all been a different injury.
As some have already said on here. Injurioes happen in the NFL. Its not like Miles Austin where we are wondering when his hammy is going out, not if.

DeMarco Murray Injury History