• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rating Cousins vs Hawks

TCB

Run like the wind!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give him a B+. Two seconds to throw is just not enough. Our offensive line is garbage. They can't even run block now. Roberts had a few drops if I'm not mistaken and one was pretty large. The field position he had to start with was pitiful combined with the fact that our line was being dominated. Cousins did a damn good job in my opinion.

Curious to hear others opinions.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just asking myself this question. My first reaction was he played very well. He threw 2 perfect deep balls. But as I look harder I see other than those throws he padded his stats with a ton of short completions, especially early. He had pretty good time, which was a surprise, but really didn't make enough plays to win the game. When they needed him at crunch time he went 3 and out. Again

I'd say B-. Solid but with this team we need him to do more.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a difficult question to answer for those looking in hope towards KC as the answer at the position. For all others a clear eyed sober look at him reveals the truth.

He played at about an even "C" level, which is just about all he's capable of. For whatever he brings to the table, he takes away just as much. Granted he is more polished in the pocket and gets the ball out a tad quicker, but let's examine what he takes away. Alfred Morris averages just about 50 less yards per game with KC. There is no career threat that he able to beat the defense with his legs nor is he able to buy time by escaping what is being passed as a pocket here.

So, what's his up-side? we're seeing it, how many times are we to ask and KC to say that he has to get better before we realize that the question has already been answered. I like KC, he was a great pick-up in the draft but honestly, his proper placement in the NFL is exactly where he was drafted to be....behind a more gifted starter.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a difficult question to answer for those looking in hope towards KC as the answer at the position. For all others a clear eyed sober look at him reveals the truth.

He played at about an even "C" level, which is just about all he's capable of. For whatever he brings to the table, he takes away just as much. Granted he is more polished in the pocket and gets the ball out a tad quicker, but let's examine what he takes away. Alfred Morris averages just about 50 less yards per game with KC. There is no career threat that he able to beat the defense with his legs nor is he able to buy time by escaping what is being passed as a pocket here.

So, what's his up-side? we're seeing it, how many times are we to ask and KC to say that he has to get better before we realize that the question has already been answered. I like KC, he was a great pick-up in the draft but honestly, his proper placement in the NFL is exactly where he was drafted to be....behind a more gifted starter.

I agree that RG3 is probably the eventual starter (either that or you need major upgrades on the line to make this offense consistently effective). However - if this is to ever occur it will require RG3 to play very similar to how Wilson played last night.

Notice how Wilson rarely gets hit when he scrambles. Notice how he runs very smartly & slides very well (baseball background). He also makes the key throw when needed. He also throws the ball away when needed & does not always try to be the hero.

Not sure if it will ever happen on a regular basis, but this is how RG3 must act to stay effective and healthy. Only time will tell.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had several drop balls on him. Jackson had two. One for a first down. Roberts dropped a first down ball. He played very well considering the circumstances. The only blunder he had was he missed Helu for a TD. If he puts air under that ball he would of hit Helu for a TD instead we had to settle for a FG. A huge turning point in the game. He hits that pass its 17-14 in the early third.

As you guys know I think KC is the real deal. With more experience he should be a very good NFL QB.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had several drop balls on him. Jackson had two. One for a first down. Roberts dropped a first down ball. He played very well considering the circumstances. The only blunder he had was he missed Helu for a TD. If he puts air under that ball he would of hit Helu for a TD instead we had to settle for a FG. A huge turning point in the game. He hits that pass its 17-14 in the early third.

As you guys know I think KC is the real deal. With more experience he should be a very good NFL QB.

Could be & I certainly hope that he does great & wins some more games while he is the Skins QB. However - fair or not - there is a very good chance that RG3 is the starter again this season since he lost the job due to injury & especially if Cousins doesn't win the majority of his remaining games and/or have career type games.

It doesn't matter if any of this is directly related to Cousins' performance - it is just how it is - time will tell. I just want what is best for the team - not what is best for RG3, Cousins or their fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - that dropped ball excuse is lame. It also has happened several times for RG3. I remember a game in his rookie year (before they rallied to make the playoffs) where receivers dropped over 10 balls I believe. It happens at times to all QBs.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I was thinking of the Roberts drop as I made my post but forgot about the DJax one (the other was defended). Put that with the number of well thrown balls that were batted away by great defensive plays and I'm moving my grade up to a B.

But he needs to start delivering when they need him the most.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B-. but it was against the seahawks so what did u expect. besides a couple of long plays the offense sucked.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that this thread was about rating KC.............He said almost after every game that he's played in that he has to get better..........when? if he knows this and doesn't..... does that indicate that he's incapable? Not with the cast that surrounds him. Right now, the running game is far better with RGIII....the passing game with KC. KC ONLY has a few games left to prove that Washington's running game is potent with him at the helm, show us what you can do with your legs KC or be prepared to sit as the running game returns and RGIII improves his passing game.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Cousins played pretty well. I will give him a B against a solid defense. He hasn't shown that he can be the guy or that he is a long term starter yet IMO. Hopefully he will get a few more games. But I agree with Stymie, he is a good player and an above average backup. But I just don't think he makes the future of the teams future that much brighter or that he can put the team on his back and win games. But he will have a little more time to prove himself. I don't really care who the starter is going forward, I just want it to be the best guy and I just want to win some games.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stymietee, KC is not a running QB. He is a pocket passer and had great accuracy last night except of the Helu throw. You cant ask someone to be what he is not. RG3 style of play is exciting but its injury prone. If you want to win from the pocket it has to be KC. If Synder makes the final decision its going to be RG3 even if KC lights its up over the next three or four games.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stymietee, KC is not a running QB. He is a pocket passer and had great accuracy last night except of the Helu throw. You cant ask someone to be what he is not. RG3 style of play is exciting but its injury prone. If you want to win from the pocket it has to be KC. If Synder makes the final decision its going to be RG3 even if KC lights its up over the next three or four games.

So just to be clear.....are we now in favor of giving up the running game in favor of being a passing team.....KC style?

....................................................OR...........................................................................

Are we still a running team willing to allow the passing game to catch up.......RGIII style?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure where the information is coming from. Cousins did not play in an option offense and certainly is does not have the speed that Griffin does but he is also not one of the Manning brothers. If you remember a week or two ago he ran a zone read play and had a nice gain. To say he can't run is not true. He is a pocket passer and his strength is getting the ball out quickly.

My take is as I stated before. We have two QBs but I am not sure that we have a franchise QB. Robert as many say as "more upside" but does he have the skill and health to be franchise QB. Cousins has skills as a pro style QB but can he stay away from the turnovers which has been his penchant. We'll see over the next couple of years.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So just to be clear.....are we now in favor of giving up the running game in favor of being a passing team.....KC style?

....................................................OR...........................................................................

Are we still a running team willing to allow the passing game to catch up.......RGIII style?

The question isn't what are we in favor of, but what is gruden in favor of. The best way to determine that is by looking in his past. What did he favor in Cincinnati?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question isn't what are we in favor of, but what is gruden in favor of. The best way to determine that is by looking in his past. What did he favor in Cincinnati?

Actually he favored a strong offensive line that was equally strong in the run and pass game. We do not have that here. What we do have is an offensive line that becomes inept in the running game when KC is at the helm and inept in the passing game when RGIII is at the helm.

This is not to say that they are world beaters in the passing or running game, but the run game is stronger when there is a threat from a QB who also can run. While, they appear stronger in the passing game when there is a QB who gets the ball out of his hands quicker.

This is what we currently have, there is no decision to be made by Gruden.......unless KC becomes a threat with his legs (not going to happen) then the guy here is RGIII when healthy!!

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
terrible example. dalton was the one main qb there and im sure marvin lewis got to pick the starter anyway.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
terrible example. dalton was the one main qb there and im sure marvin lewis got to pick the starter anyway.

Then look further into his past. He has always been a pass centric coach. Probably stems from his playing days when he was a pass centric QB in both college and semi pro. Whomever our QB is will be throwing the ball a lot. Alfred is not going to get the touches he would under other coaches.

Stymiee is right, RG3 opens up the running game more for alfred than KC does primarily due to RG3's threat to run.. However, a great passing attack can have the same effect. Unfortunately, KC has to proved that to defenses. Right now, opponents are keying on Morris and essentially saying to KC, beat us if you can. Plus, once we get behind by a couple of scores, the running game gets completely thrown out the window.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let the defenses stack up against the run. KC is more than capable of making big plays in the passing game.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played well against Seattle. The numbers don't tell the entire story because it was against Seattle. Against other teams, it would be adequate...against Seattle he played well.

He had one great game, one of the worst games ever, and the Seattle game which we will call good.