• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ranking the rosters of all 32 teams - ESPN Insider

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting for you. One word answer. Who is better Marino or Flacco?

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you avoiding the question or are you saying Flacco is better? I'm not putting qualifiers into it.
I would take Dan Marino in the regular season and Flacco in the playoffs.

Make sense?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Never even inferred that. Your turn (Tgann and Money) to answer

That was my bad. That's what it looked like from your post, but I should have read further back.

My answer:

Marino is a top 5 all-time QB in the history of this league. Right now, Flacco isn't even a top 5 QB in the league today. I'm certainly happy the Ravens have him though. I can also understand why Dallas fans are happy Romo is a Cowboy. It's all good...

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would take Dan Marino in the regular season and Flacco in the playoffs.

Make sense?

No. Not the question I asked. Who is better? No qualifiers.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was my bad. That's what it looked like from your post, but I should have read further back.

My answer:

Marino is a top 5 all-time QB in the history of this league. Right now, Flacco isn't even a top 5 QB in the league today. I'm certainly happy the Ravens have him though. I can also understand why Dallas fans are happy Romo is a Cowboy. It's all good...

Thanks for the objective answer. Even if you said Flacco, at least you would have answered what was asked.

Tgann69

tOffficial Avi Welcher
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Not the question I asked. Who is better? No qualifiers.
It's a paradigm. Marino couldn't get it down in the playoffs Flacco can.

Its more complex then who is better... Stats Marino owns

January Flacco equals wins.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"January Flacco is good" says aging February Brady

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll ask again...

Would u give up all of Romos stats and regular season accolades for just 1 championship from him for Dallas?

Dumb question. Of course I'd take the win over stats. A QB can play bad and still win. It a team game, not one man wins it all.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK Tgann69 I answered your question. Now answer mine. Does being elected to the probowl mean you are the better player?

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb question. Of course I'd take the win over stats. A QB can play bad and still win. It a team game, not one man wins it all.

Yes, it is a team game. That seems to always be remembered when it comes to wins and losses, but not when it comes to stats which is funny to me.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still waiting for you. One word answer. Who is better Marino or Flacco?

I'll take Marino personally. QBs got away with a LOT less in his era (less pass interference, touching a QB wasn't an auto flag).

Flacco is a good QB though. I'd be happy to build a franchise around him.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is a team game. That seems to always be remembered when it comes to wins and losses, but not when it comes to stats which is funny to me.

You can use individual numbers to compare players but you cannot use wins to say who is better. Sorry for my money Marino is the best QB to ever play in the NFL, too bad he was never on a TEAM that won it all.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can use individual numbers to compare players but you cannot use wins to say who is better.

I think this is completely off base.

A. There is no such thing as "individual numbers". There are 11 players on the field all doing their job on every single play in the NFL.

B. There are plenty of things that QBs do that affect W's and L's, but don't show up on a stat sheet.

C. Every QB is in a completely different situation to say the least.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A. There is no such thing as "individual numbers". There are 11 players on the field all doing their job on every single play in the NFL.

B. There are plenty of things that QBs do that affect W's and L's, but don't show up on a stat sheet.

Then all players are equal? Numbers may not be the perfect way to compare players because it does require the other 10 on the field to help build said numbers, but a bad player will have lower numbers than the better player as years pass.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are right to a point as there are certain things that don't show up in the stats that show just how much one individual player impacted the game. Still we have to do with what we got and for the most part I think there are some stats that have shown a correlation to how much a player truly impacts a game. The DYAR stat is probably one of my favorite as it factors in a bunch of stats to get the total impact of just the one player on the field. Now yes they are still affected by others and how they do of course but you will never find a perfect stat.
As for Flacco he at least in the playoffs has had some games where he was a huge reason of why his team won and he has also been a huge reason of why they lost in some games. Same on the opposite of there are games where he played well but the team still lost while others of he played terrible but the team still won. Playoffs especially though become more about the team than about the individual. I do think there are some quarterbacks in this league such as Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, and maybe a couple of others that especially against lesser opponents can win games with very inferior players around them. Playoffs though are when they face better coaching, better all around players, plus usually more elements such as weather become part of the picture making it much more difficult for one individual to really carry a team to victory.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit....lets not over think this or anything but the best QB to ever play the game shoulda won at least one championship. Playing your best when the stage is the brightest should count.

The QB position remains all about the decisions made through the course of the game

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit....lets not over think this or anything but the best QB to ever play the game shoulda won at least one championship. Playing your best when the stage is the brightest should count.

The QB position remains all about the decisions made through the course of the game

I don't disagree but I also understand that plenty of great quarterbacks who are the best at their respective position haven't gone on to win the Super Bowl. I mean some of the best QB seasons in the history of the league such as Brady in 2007 and Manning in 2013 both lost yet not sure anybody could argue much that they had historical seasons and even showed up in the playoffs well at least until the Super Bowl. Honestly to win the Super Bowl a team needs some luck to go along with some great play by the entire team not just one player. Sometimes things just fall perfectly into place for a team at the right time.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ted Williams is one of the best to ever play the game of baseball. He has ZERO championships because his team never won the WS. Marino's teams never won, he 100% had the personal talent to do so.

The ultimate goal is to be crowned champions but the best don't always win it. A great player on a constantly inferior team may never win a championship, while every year so so players get their ring.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't disagree but I also understand that plenty of great quarterbacks who are the best at their respective position haven't gone on to win the Super Bowl. I mean some of the best QB seasons in the history of the league such as Brady in 2007 and Manning in 2013 both lost yet not sure anybody could argue much that they had historical seasons and even showed up in the playoffs well at least until the Super Bowl. Honestly to win the Super Bowl a team needs some luck to go along with some great play by the entire team not just one player. Sometimes things just fall perfectly into place for a team at the right time.

Marino's teams weren't very good defensively nor did they they run the ball effectively. Marino and the passing game carried the Dolphins as far as they could. Dan Fouts was a really good QB. Could not get to Super Bowl because the Chargers D was atrocious then.