• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers vs KC in march to #1 draft Pick

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Supposedly there's not a megastar prospect in this draft like a Harper or Strasburg. That's just what I heard. I really don't follow the drafts. I might this year though.

I'd still trust our staff to find a " can't miss guy" who ends up to be a future starter ( doesn't have to be an all-star).

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COL just gave up 1 in the 8th and are behind 4-3 now. SOB.

Relax..... We play KC tomorrow and a hungry Seattle team that is fighting g to get into the playoffs. I'd expect 3 losses and wouldn't be surprised if we dropped all of the next 4.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be another long season next year if he's our 4th starter.

That's sort of what I am saying, it's gonna be a few years before this team competes for a division title. I don't see JD doing much in FA or via trade to land more than 1 SP, if he even manages to get that done

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's sort of what I am saying, it's gonna be a few years before this team competes for a division title. I don't see JD doing much in FA or via trade to land more than 1 SP, if he even manages to get that done

I don't see the team contending next year unless we have a "perfect" offseason. What I mean by a perfect offseason is everyone coming back healthy and playing at a high level ( except Harrison.... I think he's a goner), JD signs 2 good FA arms ( even a fucking Ervin Santana would do... Or Kyle Lohse) both of those guys are having better years than the crap we're trotting out there and we could have pursued / probably signed at least one of em. JD needs to drop the dead weight like MM, Carp, Etc..... Guys need to perform at their capabilities ( Elvis, Leony's, Choo, have all underperformed greatly) and JD needs to sign several solid bats ( how or why did he let Cruz get away?). It's possible, just not very likely.....

At least we won't make the mistake of relying on guys who are over the hill ( Lewis) and a dead man Walking ( Harrison) to start next season and for the love of god, keep a certain dog named " Wrigley" away from ALL staircases.

Last edited by a moderator:

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couldn't disagree with you more on Rosales. Can play all 4 INF positions, pinch hit/run, DH - granted he's not all world at any of them - but that versatility is very valuable.

Jury is out on JPA. But my concern was and is, who's going to drive in runs for this team in 2015? This makes him an option to be considered.

We've traditionally had one of the worst benches in the majors. Guys who can play multi positions are a huge plus IMO.

You may be right on Rua. He's gotten about 500 ABs at AA/AAA now, which quite honestly, I didn't think he had that many.

Rosales is a career .226 hitter. That is who he is. When we are playoff contenders I want a much better bench player than that. I think you guys are judging what he has done in a very small sample size this year and that is not who he is. There is a reason why he has been available so much the past couple of seasons.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been kind of thinking about 2015 and the off season. 1.What do we need that we don't have? 2. What do we have that we don't need? Those two questions pose a lot of thought processing if you think about it. JD has a lot to sort out and then how to accomplish it all. Well what ever he does, DFA Wash.

This team needs bats on the corners who can hit and hit with power. Only Beltre has done that this year and even his power numbers are slipping. If they slip this much again next year we will be really hurting for corner power. Before we can correct teh problems on the corner teh front office has to see what we have in those corner positions now. The popular opinion is that we are fine at 1B and with Choo in the OF. I am very leery about both of those guys myself, but I know I am in the minority. If I am wrong we don't need a whole lot offensively. If I am right nothing will be done about it for at least another year as it will take that long for everyone in the front office to see that those guys have slipped too far to give us enough help to get to where we need to be. Therefore, I don't see a lot being done this coming offseason to improve our offense because I really don't think the front office sees much of a need.

We also need good healthy starting pitching. I think that will come eventually from our own system. We will not be able to sign a high quality free agent pitcher and I say that based on our history. We never have signed anyone on the level of a Shields or Lester.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would hope we get a #1 or #2 out of it if it ends up being a pitcher.

I would be happy to get a Mark Teixeira type. We will need a stud 1B in 2-4 years.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we try at least.

We have tried in the past and they never seem to sign here for whatever reason. I would think after the year we just had that it would be hard for any team to sign a pitcher like that. We never had any success when we were much better.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have tried in the past and they never seem to sign here for whatever reason. I would think after the year we just had that it would be hard for any team to sign a pitcher like that. We never had any success when we were much better.

Neither Shields or Lester would sign with the Rangers unless blown away by money or years or both and I know this FO won't do that, and probably shouldn't. Those guys will perceive the next couple years as losing seasons for this team and will want to be on a winning club unless they are just willing to sign for personal security and to the highest bidder. Without big bats that drive in lots of runs this team going forward as is will not win 80 games per season without upgrading 4 fifths of the starting rotation

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rosales is a career .226 hitter. That is who he is. When we are playoff contenders I want a much better bench player than that. I think you guys are judging what he has done in a very small sample size this year and that is not who he is. There is a reason why he has been available so much the past couple of seasons.

If they are really good they would not be on the bench. And he seems solid on defense. Have to agree with donaldson on this one.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they are really good they would not be on the bench. And he seems solid on defense. Have to agree with donaldson on this one.

But, there is a pretty large difference between "really good" and someone with a career BA as low as Rosales. There is a lot of ground between those two to get your backup infielder from for a WS contending team. That is a discussion for a couple of offseasons from now though I think.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are due to see a lot of highly regarded prospects arrive in Arlington over the course of the next 1-3 years. Here is a good article to prepare us for how much patience will be needed.

“I think the rule of thumb is that it takes at least three years for a young player to become a legitimate major league hitter,” says Kansas City’s Dayton Moore, who has watched some very talented young position players struggle with their hitting development.”

Peter Gammons: The struggles of top prospects in MLB - GammonsDaily.com

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neither Shields or Lester would sign with the Rangers unless blown away by money or years or both and I know this FO won't do that, and probably shouldn't. Those guys will perceive the next couple years as losing seasons for this team and will want to be on a winning club unless they are just willing to sign for personal security and to the highest bidder. Without big bats that drive in lots of runs this team going forward as is will not win 80 games per season without upgrading 4 fifths of the starting rotation

so therefore we shouldn't try and just accept our fate

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been afraid Jim is a career minor leaguer or spare outfielder at best

Not to be confused with a 4th OF......not kidding.....he's not in the league of the Craig Gentry's of the MLB world. Today.....I'd take Robertson as a 4th OF for next season.

Not saying this is what I want.....just the lesser of two evils perhaps......however.....Robertson is fast, plays with abandon, can play - quite adequately - all the OF positions, can PH/DH/PR. Just saying......He's in the Gentry mode anyway.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some high school somewhere in some God forsaken town a Trout or Kershaw is out there that JD can find. That is my hope right now. Probably more important than what JD can do this off season.

Sorry....this is such a reach......even if.....that's 3 years from now.