• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers travel to Yankee Stadium to play the Jeter-less Yankees

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive been waiting on the bustout since 2013. Doesn't walk, swings at balls he cant hit, gets picked off and doesnt get good reads or jumps.

He has played better defense and has a hose in the OF. Should be a defensive replacement until DDJ starts regressing or Leonys gets moved at the AS break. Can we get Betances for Leonys and Gallardo?

LOL....No Thanks....But they would be wise to move Gallardo at his highest value to a team like Toronto, as mentioned earlier.......A get like Aaron Sanchez or Daniel Norris would be a great pickup for Tex.....I read Toronto has done everything they can to get Hamels, they have the pieces, but Hamels wont waive his NT to go there

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you're referring to Buckel? What's the skinny on Beras? Didn't really understand the comment in the article about him not being on the team, but yet is working with the team.
No, actually I was referring to Beras.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All,

Thanks for the info on Rua at 2B, didn't know. I actually thought he was OF/1B for some reason. So is he good enough defensively to replace Field at 2B? If so, having his bat in there would be more helpful. Although he was slumping a bit before the injury I think.

As for DeShields replacing Martin when Josh comes up, I'm not sure if I like it or not. At this point trying anything is ok with me though I suppose. Having his speed off the bench would be good but I am not sure sending him down would be helpful at this point given it's his 3rd full season. Just needs to work a better batting coach than we currently have IMO. Really we need Martin to get it figured out, he is under control until 2019.

My expectations have been pretty low for this season all along. I really just want to see them get some of their core re-established and focused.

He's not performing and DDJ is, its as simple as that, if he doesn't want to get demoted, play better, simple as that, he's not making 20 million a year, he can be taken out of the lineup, we payed him that much for about 2 seasons when he first signed,

DDJ can't be sent down, he's a Rule V guy and he's playing better than Martin

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL....No Thanks....But they would be wise to move Gallardo at his highest value to a team like Toronto, as mentioned earlier.......A get like Aaron Sanchez or Daniel Norris would be a great pickup for Tex.....I read Toronto has done everything they can to get Hamels, they have the pieces, but Hamels wont waive his NT to go there

I cant blame Hamels, I wouldn't want to play there

I would like a pitching prospect or proven bullpen guys in return for Martin and/or Gallardo

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am beginning to think Harrison makes it back before Holland makes it back. I just don't have a good feeling about Derek's injury, but then again I got the same uneasy feeling when he hurt his shoulder a few years back and he made it back just fine then.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are Scott Lucas' first quarter rankings for our prospects based on their performances.

Position Players of the First Quarter (35 games)

This isn't purely a performance or prospect list. I take every player's stats, prospect status, position, level, age and my personal observations, and I arrange the players as I see fit. My WAR (Wins Above Replacement) calculations include a positional adjustment and stolen bases but not quality of defense (in essence, I'm assuming everyone is average) or other aspects of baserunning.

1. Williams, Nick (Age 21.7, 1.3 WAR, AA) -- .315/.369/.510, 6 HR, 16 XBH,4 SB, 8% BB,15% SO
2. Gallo, Joey (Age 21.5, 1.4 WAR, AA) -- .324/.440/.608, 4 HR, 12 XBH,1 SB, 18% BB,35% SO
3. Mazara, Nomar (Age 20.0, 1.2 WAR, AA) -- .323/.396/.417, 1 HR, 9 XBH,0 SB, 10% BB,21% SO
4. Cordell, Ryan (Age 23.1, 1.3 WAR, hi-A) -- .313/.369/.524, 6 HR, 16 XBH,4 SB, 8% BB,19% SO
5. Robinson, Drew (Age 23.0, 1.2 WAR, AA) -- .214/.370/.462, 8 HR, 13 XBH,7 SB, 19% BB,23% SO
6. Telis, Tomas (Age 23.9, 1.0 WAR, AAA) -- .333/.368/.452, 3 HR, 9 XBH,1 SB, 5% BB,8% SO
7. Alberto, Hanser (Age 22.5, 1.0 WAR, AAA) -- .305/.321/.443, 2 HR, 11 XBH,3 SB, 2% BB,10% SO

Yes, Gallo had the best WAR despite missing 40% of the quarter. I ranked Williams ahead for his astonishing improvement in plate discipline. Telis and Alberto are the best defenders. Honestly, I think you could take the top seven and order them almost any way you like.

Starting Pitchers of the First Quarter

1. Lopez, Frank, (Age 21.2, 0.9 WAR, hi-A) -- 35.2 IP, 3.28 ERA, 4.00 FIP, 2.8% HR, 6% BB+HBP, 23% SO
2. Ortiz, Luis, (Age 19.6, 1.0 WAR, lo-A) -- 22.1 IP, 0.40 ERA, 2.46 FIP, 1.1% HR, 3% BB+HBP, 24% SO
3. Jurado, Ariel (Age 19.3, 0.9 WAR, lo-A) -- 34.0 IP, 3.44 ERA, 3.14 FIP, 2.3% HR, 3% BB+HBP, 23% SO
4. Martin, Brett, (Age 20.0, 0.9 WAR, lo-A) -- 31.1 IP, 2.01 ERA, 3.36 FIP, 1.7% HR, 6% BB+HBP, 22% SO
5. Wiles, Collin (Age 20.9, 1.0 WAR, lo-A) -- 33.1 IP, 1.08 ERA, 3.40 FIP, 0.0% HR, 10% BB+HBP, 15% SO
6. Gonzalez, Chi Chi (Age 23.3, 0.7 WAR, AAA) -- 37.1 IP, 4.10 ERA, 4.22 FIP, 1.3% HR, 10% BB+HBP, 14% SO

Hickory's rotation has been outstanding (they're #2 through #5), but I've reserved the top spot for Lopez, who's pitched in one of baseball's most hostile environments for pitchers. Gonzalez has performed best among the upper-level starters, all of whom have endured some difficulties.

Relievers of the First Quarter

Short Relief
1. Ege, Cody (Age 24.0, 0.6 WAR, hi-A/AA) -- 20.0 IP, 1.80 ERA, 2.98 FIP, 2.4% HR, 11% BB+HBP, 40% SO
2. Fasola, John (Age, 23.4, 0.4 WAR, lo-A) -- 12.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 0.63 FIP, 0.0% HR, 4% BB+HBP, 43% SO
3. Mendoza, Francisco (Age 27.4, 0.6 WAR, AA/AAA) -- 18.2 IP, 0.48 ERA, 2.25 FIP, 0.0% HR, 9% BB+HBP, 27% SO
4. Patton, Spencer (Age 27.2, 0.5 WAR, AAA) -- 11.1 IP, 0.79 ERA, 1.60 FIP, 0.0% HR, 8% BB+HBP, 32% SO
5. Pirela, Jesus Age 26.1, 0.4 WAR, AA) -- 16.2 IP, 3.24 ERA, 1.89 FIP, 0.0% HR, 11% BB+HBP, 34% SO

Ege struck out nearly 50% of opponents in High Desert, while Fasola has been nearly that effective as Hickory's closer.

Long Relief
1. Reyes, Jimmy (Age 26.2, 0.9 WAR) -- 24.2 IP, 0.73 ERA, 2.41 FIP, 0.0% HR, 2% BB+HBP, 16% SO
2. Parks, Adam (Age 22.6, 0.7 WAR) -- 24.0 IP, 3.00 ERA, 1.96 FIP, 1.0% HR, 7% BB+HBP, 35% SO

The lefty Reyes isn't a hard thrower but hasn't allowed the hard hits that marred his first run through AAA last year.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not performing and DDJ is, its as simple as that, if he doesn't want to get demoted, play better, simple as that, he's not making 20 million a year, he can be taken out of the lineup, we payed him that much for about 2 seasons when he first signed,

DDJ can't be sent down, he's a Rule V guy and he's playing better than Martin

I'm not saying send DDJ down either... I'm just not certain sending Martin down is the answer either. There are a number of ways they could approach this but I honestly have to say I haven't paid enough attention this season to know what those ways are. I mean they are only carrying 3 OF on the active roster right now anyway, they need a 4th OF currently. I guess maybe they are trying Blanks in that role?

I have no issue with benching Martin or even sending him down really and even agree that it could be good if he had some time in AAA. I just think if he gets sent down it would be more through the DL avenue than a demotion... totally could be wrong here.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn has Leonyis fallin that far?

A lot of preseason bustout hype

Saw as much as 50 SB potential, but I guess you cant steal first
I can't recall seeing any estimates of him stealing anything near 50 bases by those who follow him on a regular basis.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what Bowden has to say about who is most likely to be traded off our roster (scale is based on a 1-5):

i
Yovani Gallardo, RHP
Texas Rangers
Trade likeliness rating: 3
Best fit: Blue Jays

Interested teams: Astros, Blue Jays, Dodgers, Marlins

The Rangers traded top infield prospect, Luis Sardinas, to get Gallardo, a free agent-to-be, this past offseason, but if they're not in the race at the end of July, they'll try and get similar talent back for him. Their preference would be to get a solid starting pitching prospect in return.

He listed 20 guys and made no mention of AB.
Haha, we saw how close Bowden got to what we would actually do this past offseason and several offseasons prior to that. The national guys never have a clue.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am beginning to think Harrison makes it back before Holland makes it back. I just don't have a good feeling about Derek's injury, but then again I got the same uneasy feeling when he hurt his shoulder a few years back and he made it back just fine then.

I can't get too excited about Harry's return. I hope he proves me wrong but it's going to be tough for him to get back to where he was given the surgery he is coming off of. Lewis proved me wrong on this though but what Harry had done was even more serious.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying send DDJ down either... I'm just not certain sending Martin down is the answer either. There are a number of ways they could approach this but I honestly have to say I haven't paid enough attention this season to know what those ways are. I mean they are only carrying 3 OF on the active roster right now anyway, they need a 4th OF currently. I guess maybe they are trying Blanks in that role?

I have no issue with benching Martin or even sending him down really and even agree that it could be good if he had some time in AAA. I just think if he gets sent down it would be more through the DL avenue than a demotion... totally could be wrong here.

I don't say send him down. I say plant his ass on the bench as a late inning defensive sub for Choo when Hamilton gets here, at least until DDJ stops producing. Thing is, one of the things I like so much about DDJ is his eye at the plate. He has zero problem taking a walk to get on base in front of Fielder and Beltre. He's also very hard to double off, and he's a far better base stealer than Martin. Those things probably aren't going away.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping Rua might be able to step in at 2b. Lineup could look like this.

Choo RF
DDJ CF
Fielder DH
Beltre 3B
Moreland 1b
Hamilton LF
Rua 2b
Chirinos C
Andrus SS

That is exactly the players I expect to be out on the field. I have no problem with the lineup either.

For the record Rua played 106 games at 2nd compared to 194 at 3rd in the minors. He started off at 3rd but I am sure was moved to 2nd at Hickory because of Gallo. And those two were monsters together at Hickory. So there is no problem with him at 2nd. And we need someone there. To be honest Field is an average 2nd baseman and Odor can be a really good one but needs to iron some things out for a while. So Rua would not be a dropoff compared to Field defensively.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't say send him down. I say plant his ass on the bench as a late inning defensive sub for Choo when Hamilton gets here, at least until DDJ stops producing. Thing is, one of the things I like so much about DDJ is his eye at the plate. He has zero problem taking a walk to get on base in front of Fielder and Beltre. He's also very hard to double off, and he's a far better base stealer than Martin. Those things probably aren't going away.

I agree. I have no problem overall with his defense so he would be a great sub at the end of the game and could even PR for someone as well at a critical time in the game. Even though his base running instincts are average he still has speed if a ball was hit in the gap to score from 1st.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can certainly get on board with this for the time being. I'm not convinced DDJ will keep hitting as well as he has lately nor that Martin be as bad as he has been. DDJ does seem to have a better approach at the plate than Martin though.

Tell me if I am wrong here but wasn't Martin hitting pretty decent at leadoff? I definitely don't wanna pull Choo from leadoff, given that it seems to have pulled him out of his slump. I actually was wondering why we ever moved him, I mean that was probaly the main reason we went after him over Cruz, to hit lead off bc we traded Kinlser. Anyway, that's a whole other thing. It's just weird how batting order mentally effects some of these guys approaches to the point where they can struggle significantly.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn has Leonyis fallin that far?

A lot of preseason bustout hype

Saw as much as 50 SB potential, but I guess you cant steal first

He hasn't fallen, he is standing still. Do not see him getting any better. This is what he is. One of the best arms in baseball, can go get the ball except has trouble when he comes in for a ball and if he has to go to the wall he most likely will jump feet first on the padding and stick his glove up with no idea where the ball is, has no concept of the strike zone almost to the point he is swinging at the next pitch no matter where it goes even though I do not think that is what he is doing and has speed but not a smart baserunner and his baseball IQ is non existent. When you see the growth Delino DeShields has made in just a month and compare it to Martin it is a blowout. A pitcher would be smart to throw him breaking balls down and in and fastballs up in the strike zone. Never throw him a strike at all.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I saw this right DeShields is leading off and Choo batting 2nd.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You saw it right, Wastin.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can certainly get on board with this for the time being. I'm not convinced DDJ will keep hitting as well as he has lately nor that Martin be as bad as he has been. DDJ does seem to have a better approach at the plate than Martin though.

Tell me if I am wrong here but wasn't Martin hitting pretty decent at leadoff? I definitely don't wanna pull Choo from leadoff, given that it seems to have pulled him out of his slump. I actually was wondering why we ever moved him, I mean that was probaly the main reason we went after him over Cruz, to hit lead off bc we traded Kinlser. Anyway, that's a whole other thing. It's just weird how batting order mentally effects some of these guys approaches to the point where they can struggle significantly.

In just 61 ABs DeShields is now 2nd on the team in walks and has a .405 OBP. Compared that to Martin's 130 ABs he has half as many walks and an OBP of .246. On top of that DeShields has stolen 11 bases in 12 attempts to Martin's 6 in 9 attempts. So his walks or singles are like doubles.