• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Travel to Arizona For 2 Games With the Diamondbacks August 21-22

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers addressed starting pitching last off-season. Didn't address the bullpen. We know that. And other than Heim and Jung becoming full time players didn't bring in any substantial bats. Grossman and Jankowski are not big bats at all.

Garver and Duran were the big offensive additions, both already on the roster. Garver was hurt last year and Duran was not an everyday player. Tavares early season hitting was his best ever according to every metric. Regression was a certainty.

Need a big bat this off-season in addition to a couple of bullpen pieces.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers addressed starting pitching last off-season. Didn't address the bullpen. We know that. And other than Heim and Jung becoming full time players didn't bring in any substantial bats. Grossman and Jankowski are not big bats at all.

Garver and Duran were the big offensive additions, both already on the roster. Garver was hurt last year and Duran was not an everyday player. Tavares early season hitting was his best ever according to every metric. Regression was a certainty.

I’m thinking a LF’er big bat and a DH

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I think we’re going to need more than a couple bullpen pieces I’m thinking at least 4 (Stratton, Chapman and 2 more maybe 3)

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you only expect Eovaldi to only go a couple innings or so over his first 2 or 3 starts so you want to bring up Bradford to be the real starter and Eovaldi the opener?
I have read that we will most likely only go 40 to 45 pitches his first time out. So, 2 or part of a third inning.

You mentioned, "you want." Him not being able to go very far has nothing to do with what I want. Having Bradford to piggyback with Eovaldi, since Eovaldi would be extremely limited, is what I want, if there are no rehab starts.

It isn't an "opener" situation; it would be a situation where the starter is not stretched out.

As far as what I want, I want him to get a couple of rehab starts. If he doesn't there is either going to be a piggyback starter with him, or it will be a bullpen game.

The 2 or 3 innings limitation would only be for 1 start. I imagine he gets 15 to 20 more pitches each outing.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have read that we will most likely only go 40 to 45 pitches his first time out. So, 2 or part of a third inning.

You mentioned, "you want." Him not being able to go very far has nothing to do with what I want. Having Bradford to piggyback with Eovaldi, since Eovaldi would be extremely limited, is what I want, if there are no rehab starts.

It isn't an "opener" situation; it would be a situation where the starter is not stretched out.

As far as what I want, I want him to get a couple of rehab starts. If he doesn't there is either going to be a piggyback starter with him, or it will be a bullpen game.

The 2 or 3 innings limitation would only be for 1 start. I imagine he gets 15 to 20 more pitches each outing.
Your phrasing of piggybacking indicates the standard opener/starter. The first pitcher is the opener and only goes 2 innings and once in a while 3 and the real starter finishes the game or most of it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need several bullpen pieces for next year, but I doubt the FO recognizes that. But that is where most of the offseason money should be spent.

It is time to try some AAA guys in the lineup and pursue relief pitching instead of the other way around.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your phrasing of piggybacking indicates the standard opener/starter. The first pitcher is the opener and only goes 2 innings and once in a while 3 and the real starter finishes the game or most of it.
Piggybacking has been going on for several years in the minors, long before the term Opener was thought of. I tried to explain the difference and that is all I can do. There is a big difference in the two, but I cannot force you see that if you choose not to.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Piggybacking has been going on for several years in the minors, long before the term Opener was thought of. I tried to explain the difference and that is all I can do. There is a big difference in the two, but I cannot force you see that if you choose not to.
It is the same calling it by any other name doesn’t change what it is. I’m not trying to argue but the primary pitcher in either is the 2nd one and the first is nothing but the opener. Might as well send Eovaldi down to Frisco for a couple of weeks and bring up Bradford

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is the same calling it by any other name doesn’t change what it is. I’m not trying to argue but the primary pitcher in either is the 2nd one and the first is nothing but the opener. Might as well send Eovaldi down to Frisco for a couple of weeks and bring up Bradford
When Eovaldi goes 2.1 innings who do you want to bring in? Leclerc? Stratton? Perez? If you do bring one of those guys in, what keeps Eovaldi's role from being that of an Opener?

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why they wouldn't give Eovaldi one rehab start in the minors. It seems foolish to immediately put him back in the majors regardless of how long he can go.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why they wouldn't give Eovaldi one rehab start in the minors. It seems foolish to immediately put him back in the majors regardless of how long he can go.
Yeah, I think he definitely needs one and probably two.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn’t that what we put Heaney and Perez into the pen for? Or they just window dressing occupying 2 seats out there and bringing up Bradford just makes it 3 basically sitting out there with only 5 real relievers in Burke, Stratton, Leclerc, Chapman and Smith. Unless we’re going to put Heaney and Perez on the IL for the rest of the season or DFA them that’s a lot of deadwood out there

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JPM sits again.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me Leody had some better ABs. If JPM plays I think it is for Janks

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Last year it was Calhoun. This yer Grossman. Next year, probably Gallo.
Hope not any of them. Go after quality like Bellinger or if not expect another season like this one. And there is only one good DH