• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers set to face the Asterisks for the first time in 2021 - TEX @ HOU 5/13-16

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that 0-for-6 w/RISP is looking large at the moment.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the Chris Young AMA today:

Q: My questions is this, how do you see the new hire of Daren Willman playing into your new or existing analytics plans. Or more broadly, how much value do you place on analytics and what tangible or non tangible improvements in on field performance do you think are achievable with a quality analytics department?

A: We are extremely excited about the addition of Daren Willman to our organization. He will make a great impact on all aspects of baseball operations for the Rangers. I place great value on analytics and recognize how impactful they are in the game. I relied heavily on them as a player and continue to see the influence now in the front office. As with anything, analytics are a piece of a complex puzzle...all pieces factor equally in completing that puzzle!

Q: i know you probably can’t discuss plans for upcoming free agency, but it seems like the rangers are in a position to add an impact guy from this stacked class. do you anticipate making a play for a big-money guy this off-season?

A: A major aspect of 2021 is evaluating our current group of core players and determining what our needs are moving forward. By the end of this season we should have a solid idea of where we need to improve. We will then determine whether those improvements come through free agency, trades or player development. It is premature to suggest how we will improve the club without having fully evaluated our team and the rest of the league. That said, we expect to explore free agency as one avenue to improve the club.

Q: how has the advent of Hawkeye/Trackman changed the way that you evaluate prospects or players at the major league level? Has it completely changed the way you view certain players whose more overt numbers don't line up with their underlying metrics like exit velo/xwOBA/etc.? Any players that you know who jumped up in evaluation because of this more refined analytical approach?

A: Thank you for having me. I love being here and appreciate the great question. I would not say Hawkeye has completely changed the way we evaluate prospects or players, but it has shed light into important aspects of what makes a complete player. It provides objective data that is very important in determining who a player is and what we think he can become. Baseball continues to evolve...new metrics are derived daily and they all play a very important role in player evaluation. However, players are not defined solely by the metrics. Leadership, work ethic, resilience, perseverance, etc.. are characteristics we value as much as the quantifiable metrics. The game will always be a balance between the two.

Q: Hi Chris, how does a young up-and-comer such as yourself overseeing multi-faceted layers of baseball operations balance fans' desperate need for postseason baseball against a modest salary cap in an era of long-term contract instability within a youthful organization. I guess my real question is...when can we expect to see elite talent ushered in via Free Agency that's not of the rental variety?

A: I hear the fans desire for post-season baseball and am confident that we will get there. One of the many great aspects of my time working in the Commissioner's Office for MLB was that I was able to study successful teams and how they were constructed. Establishing a successful player development pipeline of talent is critical for sustained success. I am excited about many of the players in our system (including at the MLB level). Our goal is to surround that core with great talent acquired via free agency or trades.

Q: Are there any experimental rules going on in the minor leagues that you are liking? Shifting or pitch clock stuff?

A: Major League Baseball is testing a variety of experimental rules. The goals are to decrease the overall time of game and increase the action within the game. I believe it is extremely important to continue to study these changes with the goal of implementing changes that will enhance the product on the field. We have a great game and should always strive to improve it. Limiting shifts, a pitch clock, a rule limiting pickoffs and a rule that makes pickoffs slightly more challenging are examples of small changes that could have a meaningful impact in the big leagues soon.

Q: What are your plans to improve the development of pitchers in the Rangers' minor league system?

A: I have been impressed with the depth of pitching talent in our system. This season is an important year for our players to play a full season. Keeping them healthy and enhancing their strengths are primary goals for all our players. We are utilizing many tools to identify what makes our pitchers successful and how to teach them in areas we wish to see improvement. Based on what i have seen thus far, I am confident that we will have a wave of solid MLB pitching coming through our system.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like Gallo gunned him down

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Culberson has killed this team on defense on this road trip.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the Rangers will pursue Tomoyuki Sugano this winter?