• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers on the Road to Face Pirates May 22-24

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once Garver and Janks gets into the mix. Yes it complicates. Bubba about to go down once Janks is back methinks. Harvey needs a rehab assignment and so does Janks.
That delays things
Unfortunately I think Josh gets sent down too when both Garver and Janis are ready although Leon could also be the one

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't normally like to give credit to other ballparks, but that's one hell of a ballpark setting.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately I think Josh gets sent down too when both Garver and Janis are ready although Leon could also be the one
Who would be the backup catcher? I didn't think Garver would be available to play that position yet but I could be wrong.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would be the backup catcher? I didn't think Garver would be available to play that position yet but I could be wrong.
That’s why I think it’s Josh although I hate it. There just isn’t going to be enough playing for him and I’d rather see him get playing time at AAA than be wasted on the bench

The following aren’t going to get much time: Garver, Jankowski, Leon and Miller

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Athletic Power Rankings

2. Texas Rangers
Record: 29-17
Last Power Ranking: 3

OK, I’m stumped. I have scrutinized the Rangers roster up and down and I’m having a hard time picking out someone important who is underperforming in a meaningful way. Sure, Jacob deGrom is out with an injury, but terrific pitching interrupted by stints on the injured list is kind of what you expect, right? Almost every lineup regular is turning in above-average offensive production. Unsurprisingly, the Rangers are scoring the most runs per game in MLB. What, am I going to pick on Robbie Grossman? He may be the weak spot in left field, but he’s actually performing better than he did a year ago. Starting pitchers Martín Pérez and Andrew Heaney are carrying mediocre ERAs, but those numbers are inflated by a few rough outings. Perhaps this explains a lot about the Rangers — aside from a few key injuries, almost everything is going well and very little is going poorly. — Zach Buchanan

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s why I think it’s Josh although I hate it. There just isn’t going to be enough playing for him and I’d rather see him get playing time at AAA than be wasted on the bench

The following aren’t going to get much time: Garver, Jankowski, Leon and Miller
Not sending Miller down is a mistake. Simply no reason keeping him. Garver can play 1B and Bochy has said Duran can as well.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Athletic Power Rankings

2. Texas Rangers
Record: 29-17
Last Power Ranking: 3

OK, I’m stumped. I have scrutinized the Rangers roster up and down and I’m having a hard time picking out someone important who is underperforming in a meaningful way. Sure, Jacob deGrom is out with an injury, but terrific pitching interrupted by stints on the injured list is kind of what you expect, right? Almost every lineup regular is turning in above-average offensive production. Unsurprisingly, the Rangers are scoring the most runs per game in MLB. What, am I going to pick on Robbie Grossman? He may be the weak spot in left field, but he’s actually performing better than he did a year ago. Starting pitchers Martín Pérez and Andrew Heaney are carrying mediocre ERAs, but those numbers are inflated by a few rough outings. Perhaps this explains a lot about the Rangers — aside from a few key injuries, almost everything is going well and very little is going poorly. — Zach Buchanan
Reasons to think this level of play can continue:

1. Our best offensive player has missed more games than he has played so far.
2. Our best starting pitcher has been hurt for more of the season than he has been healthy so far.
3. Duran will most likely play in a bigger percentage of games than he did in our first few weeks and he is an offensive force.
4. Most likely, our three best bullpen pitchers aren't even on the team yet.
5. Nathaniel Lowe hasn't heated up to nearly the level he showed he could last year.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sending Miller down is a mistake. Simply no reason keeping him. Garver can play 1B and Bochy has said Duran can as well.
I doubt Miller is here more than 8 more weeks. He may be gone much sooner if they decide to let Huff be the backup at 1B. They just do not have anyone to fill that role presently if they released Miller now. As long as he stays on the bench he isn't hurting anything currently.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your boy Smith is in the lineup. Seems to be a lot of smith fans on the board.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From Evan:

On Monday, deGrom threw the equivalent of two innings in a 32-pitch bullpen session, his third bullpen in the last six days. He threw 17 pitches in the “first inning,” rested, then threw another 15 pitches. Because the Rangers’ upcoming schedule includes an early start Wednesday and an off day Thursday, deGrom won’t throw another bullpen until Friday in Baltimore. In that outing, he will start to throw breaking balls again.

“He felt great,” manager Bruce Bochy said. “He will start spinning it now.”

The next question for the Rangers might be whether deGrom needs a rehab outing before returning to the rotation. That’s still a couple of steps away at least; deGrom would need to throw to hitters in some form before the Rangers more seriously consider that possibility. If he did return without the buildup of a rehab outing or two, it would likely limit his pitch count to sort of an opener for a couple of starts. Dane Dunning, who has replaced deGrom in the rotation, could then theoretically back him up.

Last edited:

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he's had 8 plate appearances in May. if someone is going to waste away on the bench (and someone has to), I prefer it him over a guy like Huff who needs regular AB's.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he's had 8 plate appearances in May. if someone is going to waste away on the bench (and someone has to), I prefer it him over a guy like Huff who needs regular AB's.
Agreed and I’d rather not see Smith struggling to get playing time and sitting on the bench with the Rangers either

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed and I’d rather not see Smith struggling to get playing time and sitting on the bench with the Rangers eithe
I was talking about Miller being DFA'd when Garver is back so he can back up 1B. Comment had nothing to do with Huff or Smith.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Miller is here more than 8 more weeks. He may be gone much sooner if they decide to let Huff be the backup at 1B. They just do not have anyone to fill that role presently if they released Miller now. As long as he stays on the bench he isn't hurting anything currently.
Sorry I meant when Garver returns. Bochy said last night he would not hesitate to play Duran at 1B

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leody has been a nice surprise thus far this year

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My advice to Sborz is don’t throw a fastball unless it’s outside the zone. Seems to get better results with his other pitches.