• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers hosting and then traveling to play the LA Dodgers

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what do you do if you get say Holland and Perez back? Do you send back down Chi Chi? I don't see how you can at this point. Maybe you send down some BP guys and ease the starters back in coming off of injury through the BP? I could see that with Perez maybe but not Holland. Or maybe you toss someone that is in the rotation in the pen. Or even better maybe pigs fly and Feliz finds his 99-101 fast ball - I kid.

But seriously what do you do in that situation, it's tough to say who gets shafted. Might be clearer when/if that time comes.
I don't send Chi Chi down unless he proves he's ineffective.

And I think it will take care of itself. With this club I think it's been proven that you can never have enough starters.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are going to have to make those determinations by how they pitch in their rehab assignments. I agree about Wandy being the first I would trade, but when the second pitcher comes back some tough decisions are going to be made unless they carry through with the 6 man rotation idea. I hope that idea was floated out there just so it appears to other teams that we don't have to trade starting pitching. I understand about not wanting to deplete that area, but it sure could shore up another depleted area. Then again, I agree with Romeo that we really aren't contenders, but I don't think JD can afford to operate with that mindset.

My thing is if we are not a team playing for a playoff spot, which I am not ready to throw in the towel on that but do not want to be buyers at the trade deadline, I would want to retain as much starting pitching as possible for next season and work on the BP in other ways. This pitching thing has just bit us in the butt way too much the last couple years and do not want to be on thin ice next year.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't send Chi Chi down unless he proves he's ineffective.

And I think it will take care of itself. With this club I think it's been proven that you can never have enough starters.

Agree 100% on that Rev.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats Hambombs! Warriors won it all!

They were underwhelming. I wanted them to beat Cleveland but after watching this series I can't help believe if Cleveland had Irving and Love that Cleveland would have won this thing.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually sort of like the idea of Harrison in the BP starting out at least, if he is able to make it back which I honestly still don't expect.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thing is if we are not a team playing for a playoff spot, which I am not ready to throw in the towel on that but do not want to be buyers at the trade deadline, I would want to retain as much starting pitching as possible for next season and work on the BP in other ways. This pitching thing has just bit us in the butt way too much the last couple years and do not want to be on thin ice next year.

I completely understand that standpoint.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rua has been struggling but hit a HR and went 2-4 tonight. Patton had the save and his ERA is 0.90.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe the Rangers have a split in hand already against the Dodgers. The Dodgers have a good veteran filled line up, I expected the Rangers to either get swept or only win one game. Anything that happens in LA is just a bonus. With that said, we need the Rockies to win one against the Astros.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another impressive outing by Chi Chi. That kid has been pretty amazing. I would love to have a healthy rotation of Yu, Derek, Chi Chi, Perez and Martinez next year. I don't know what they would do with Harrison and maybe even Thompson, but that is a very good problem to have. Maybe even bring in Colby on a minor league deal just in case of a rash of injuries.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't believe the Rangers have a split in hand already against the Dodgers. The Dodgers have a good veteran filled line up, I expected the Rangers to either get swept or only win one game. Anything that happens in LA is just a bonus. With that said, we need the Rockies to win one against the Astros.
I hope for you that you can just enjoy the ride and not build up the expectations. It's way more fun and so much less stressful this season for me. When Chi Chi gave up the two run homer I remained calm and thought "damn..." I've freaked the fuck out for a lot less. Yeah I still have moments where I get pissed, but as a whole the last 18 months have mellowed me out big time as a baseball fan.

Don't get caught up too much in the expectations and worry about other teams in the West in June. Enjoy the good baseball, because we haven't seen it in a while.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another impressive outing by Chi Chi. That kid has been pretty amazing. I would love to have a healthy rotation of Yu, Derek, Chi Chi, Perez and Martinez next year. I don't know what they would do with Harrison and maybe even Thompson, but that is a very good problem to have. Maybe even bring in Colby on a minor league deal just in case of a rash of injuries.
I give Colby another 4 million dollar deal and let him pitch until the hip or arm falls off. He's earned it man.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give Colby another 4 million dollar deal and let him pitch until the hip or arm falls off. He's earned it man.
What if you legitimately think you have 5 or maybe even 6 better options though? Of course, I know we don't know if that is the case yet, but we could know that in 3-4 months. If everyone stays healthy and looks good the rest of the year I would at the least ask Colby to come back on a minor league deal with a shot to make the rotation if a couple of injuries occur in ST. I do realize we are a long ways away from knowing that we can depend on the other guys though. There is a real possibility we get to the end of this year and think Colby would be the 5th best pitcher or better should a couple of these guys fail down the stretch.

Then again Colby could be the one who fails down the stretch.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD says Alfaro is going to miss 2.5-3 months with this injury and it is a possibility, although not likely, that he gets a September call up if he makes it back in time. He also says they aren't looking to bring back either Harrison or Perez as relievers. They are preparing to be starters. He says the idea of a 6 man rotation if they even decide to do that would be temporary.

“That’s not something we’ve talked about at this point. We’ve talked about a couple of different scenarios. Either the possibility of a period of time with six starters. I don’t know how long we’d do it if we did. We’re bringing both of those guys back preparing them as starters. We haven’t really discussed relief at all.”

Jon Daniels on if Rangers could have too much depth, how team will handle Josh Hamilton when he returns | Dallas Morning News

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if you legitimately think you have 5 or maybe even 6 better options though? Of course, I know we don't know if that is the case yet, but we could know that in 3-4 months. If everyone stays healthy and looks good the rest of the year I would at the least ask Colby to come back on a minor league deal with a shot to make the rotation if a couple of injuries occur in ST. I do realize we are a long ways away from knowing that we can depend on the other guys though. There is a real possibility we get to the end of this year and think Colby would be the 5th best pitcher or better should a couple of these guys fail down the stretch.

Then again Colby could be the one who fails down the stretch.

I offer Colby 4 Million every year until he's ready to hang it up. He's earned a spot on this roster in 2016 as it stands now.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I offer Colby 4 Million every year until he's ready to hang it up. He's earned a spot on this roster in 2016 as it stands now.

That is the key. "As it stands now." As it stands now I agree with you. I just don't expect the way things stand now to be the same way they will stand at the end of the season. Colby has proven a lot of folks wrong in the past though so he could very well prove me wrong about this.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the key. "As it stands now." As it stands now I agree with you. I just don't expect the way things stand now to be the same way they will stand at the end of the season. Colby has proven a lot of folks wrong in the past though so he could very well prove me wrong about this.

I understand in what you are saying. We want the 5 best out on the mound at that time not the 5 we think should be out there based on what they did in the past. I am a big fan of Harrison but we cannot automatically think he would be slotted into the rotation because we do not know what to expect. Same with Perez. He may not be ready for a while and when he is will he be able to out pitch the 5 we have now. Of the 5 currently the one who may be pitching the weakest right now is Martinez but it is not terrible. After that it may be Colby. But again that does not mean he is not pitching well even though he had the worst stretch of any of these but seems to have righted himself. These 5 pitchers are pitching out of their minds right now.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder's RBI single in the 1st game of the series was hit hard but for the most part his contact has been weak. Hope he gets it going again.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

with Darvish, Holland, Perez, Martinez and Chi Chi, i would be surprised if they did

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with Darvish, Holland, Perez, Martinez and Chi Chi, i would be surprised if they did
I highly doubt Darvish will be back in the rotation before late spring/early summer next year. Unless he's just a physical freak and comes back with no issues, but what are those odds? It would be fantastic if he bounced back like Matt Harvey, but you cannot count on that. We also don't know what Perez will have yet either. You are making loads of early assumptions based on things that are still up in the air. Darvish, Perez, and Holland are not locks to make the rotation in 2016 based on anything we know today.

What is the average time missed in the majors for TJS? About one year to 14 months?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highly doubt Darvish will be back in the rotation before late spring/early summer next year. Unless he's just a physical freak and comes back with no issues, but what are those odds? It would be fantastic if he bounced back like Matt Harvey, but you cannot count on that. We also don't know what Perez will have yet either. You are making loads of early assumptions based on things that are still up in the air. Darvish, Perez, and Holland are not locks to make the rotation in 2016 based on anything we know today.

What is the average time missed in the majors for TJS? About one year to 14 months?

they're not? who is this we?