• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers at the Big Apple for four, 6/27-6/30

jaar01

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 19 of next 23 on the road, including a pretty brutal road trip to Wrigley, Anaheim and KC right after the break. I'll take 5-5 on this upcoming 10 game trip. And then likely Yu returns to rotation right after the break.

Sounds like Colby is out until mid-August with his lat strain.

What about Holland? What exactly is his injury and when is he supposed to be back?

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So 19 of next 23 on the road, including a pretty brutal road trip to Wrigley, Anaheim and KC right after the break. I'll take 5-5 on this upcoming 10 game trip. And then likely Yu returns to rotation right after the break.

What about Holland? What exactly is his injury and when is he supposed to be back?
Right now the Angels do not seem all that scary. AJ has pitched very well even though he ran into some problems in the 5th but I think a lot of that had to do with getting himself back into pitching shape and then Yu will be back. I am good with Hamels, Darvish, Perez, AJ and Martinez. Then eventually Lewis is back.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shoulder inflammation for Holland, no timetable that I've seen, most reports don't have it being overly serious, but we've heard that story before with Holland

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could seem them bringing him back for one appearance before the ASB so that he could get some game reps in then have an extended break. I'm ok if they don't bring him back until afterwards though. Houston is red hot right now, but we could afford to let a few games slip now if it means better chance at health late.

I understand the Houston being hot issue. Good news is other than one game against the Reds and one against the BoSox, we are still hot too! :)

As long as we win when they win, only lose when they lose and always win when they lose, we will be golden. :) Now if we could elect a committee to ensure it works out that way....:)

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now the Angels do not seem all that scary.

Good point. Also it seems the Angels see the writing on the wall and are going to sell early. The Mets already made a call to them about Escobar (3B) given David Wright is probably out for the season. If the Angels organization was smart (and they are not) they would look hard at trying to dangle Puhols to some contending team needing a DH (Royals?) and dump some salary.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is part of an article on ESPN's Insider by Tony Blengino, a former scout, on Profar. Overall, he is a fan of Profar's but the article is way too lengthy to post here.

What should the Rangers do with him?

One big question: Is he a shortstop moving forward? Elvis Andrus' extreme reliability and durability makes that position off limits in Texas. For a team to pony up the cost-controlled pitching the Rangers seek, they need to be convinced that Profar can fill a premium defensive position. His actions and instincts certainly fill the bill, and there is still reason to hope that his arm strength will trend upward the further he is removed from his surgery. The fact is, however, that his arm is closer to average these days than it is to plus-plus. From what I have seen, I'm very confident that Profar can be a high-quality second baseman, but I'm not ready to go all-in on shortstop.

Another under-the-radar factor working against the odds that someone will pay a king's ransom for Profar is the fact that very few teams are looking for shortstops presently. Sure, the Yanks could turn the page on Didi Gregorius, the White Sox could push Tim Anderson's time a little further down the road, but when you get down to it, the only team I can find with a truly bleak shortstop situation is the San Diego Padres, who have Alexei Ramirez as a short-term placeholder. Perhaps the Reds, if they opted to move Zack Cozart, or the Mets, if Operation Jose Reyes goes awry.

Plus, how many teams are in a position to give up playoff-worthy pitching, the game's most precious commodity? Ervin Santana, not exactly anyone's panacea, might have the best combination of availability and ability.

Ultimately, Profar is likely to remain a Ranger, in my opinion. No club appreciates the value of depth more than the Rangers, who have needed to call upon numerous catchers and godsend rookie outfielder Nomar Mazara to attain their current position, before you even get into their pitching woes.

There is no reason to move their valuable utility man unless someone elects to value him as the blue-chip, can't-miss stud he once appeared to be. And I would submit that there is no reason for any other club to value him that way; going forward, I see him as a potentially solid all-around second baseman with above average injury risk, who unfortunately is already a second-year arbitration player with just three years of team control after this one. He's a player I'd love to have on my side, but I wouldn't mortgage the farm for him.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is part of an article on ESPN's Insider by Tony Blengino, a former scout, on Profar. Overall, he is a fan of Profar's but the article is way too lengthy to post here.

What should the Rangers do with him?

One big question: Is he a shortstop moving forward? Elvis Andrus' extreme reliability and durability makes that position off limits in Texas. For a team to pony up the cost-controlled pitching the Rangers seek, they need to be convinced that Profar can fill a premium defensive position. His actions and instincts certainly fill the bill, and there is still reason to hope that his arm strength will trend upward the further he is removed from his surgery. The fact is, however, that his arm is closer to average these days than it is to plus-plus. From what I have seen, I'm very confident that Profar can be a high-quality second baseman, but I'm not ready to go all-in on shortstop.

Another under-the-radar factor working against the odds that someone will pay a king's ransom for Profar is the fact that very few teams are looking for shortstops presently. Sure, the Yanks could turn the page on Didi Gregorius, the White Sox could push Tim Anderson's time a little further down the road, but when you get down to it, the only team I can find with a truly bleak shortstop situation is the San Diego Padres, who have Alexei Ramirez as a short-term placeholder. Perhaps the Reds, if they opted to move Zack Cozart, or the Mets, if Operation Jose Reyes goes awry.

Plus, how many teams are in a position to give up playoff-worthy pitching, the game's most precious commodity? Ervin Santana, not exactly anyone's panacea, might have the best combination of availability and ability.

Ultimately, Profar is likely to remain a Ranger, in my opinion. No club appreciates the value of depth more than the Rangers, who have needed to call upon numerous catchers and godsend rookie outfielder Nomar Mazara to attain their current position, before you even get into their pitching woes.

There is no reason to move their valuable utility man unless someone elects to value him as the blue-chip, can't-miss stud he once appeared to be. And I would submit that there is no reason for any other club to value him that way; going forward, I see him as a potentially solid all-around second baseman with above average injury risk, who unfortunately is already a second-year arbitration player with just three years of team control after this one. He's a player I'd love to have on my side, but I wouldn't mortgage the farm for him.

Pretty good read

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now the Angels do not seem all that scary. AJ has pitched very well even though he ran into some problems in the 5th but I think a lot of that had to do with getting himself back into pitching shape and then Yu will be back. I am good with Hamels, Darvish, Perez, AJ and Martinez. Then eventually Lewis is back.
Nice sound to it. Just gotta stay healthy

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time to send Profar down, they're not going to play him
I agree. It's wrong to jack him around when he could be helping the team.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chirinos is actually polling 5th in the AL at catcher.

Here is the breakdown:

MLB All-Star voting updates

Edit: Rangers fans better get on the stick and vote Beltre and Desmond at the least. They should not be buried down in the standings.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Gordon ahead of Desmond is absurd, but those KC guys :noidea:
Yes, the man (Desmond) is a machine. This is indicative of not being a big market team.

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Gordon ahead of Desmond is absurd, but those KC guys :noidea:

Had to drop Gordon as dead weight on my fantasy team. Maybe they should pick All Stars by the pick rate on fantasy teams. I'm sure Desmond is a hot fantasy baseball commodity.