• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rangers at home for a weekend series vs the Dads - April 9-11

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This ties into my opinion of Gallo. I agree the Rangers will need to pay for a top tier hitter and a very good hitter. I do not consider Gallo to be either of those at this point, and if we're going to pay that kind of money, the return should be more than what Gallo can offer.
So, then you pretty sure Gallo is going to get a contract that is equivalent to hitters that have proven to be better than him?

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something to ponder about Joey Gallo when talking OPS with RISP...

And now Nelson Cruz...

And now Bryce Harper...

Just go into "career splits" and you will find all kinds of stats to support or disprove the theory that Joey is a clutch hitter worth big buck or small bucks...

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallos talent is quite undervalued by some of you on this board. It is a shame that so much was put on him as a franchise type player so early. I think he could be but without players around him, it is very difficult to carry a team vs spending time earlier in his career with a two strike approach. Just a shame that we finally realize an all or nothing approach is flawed
3 true outcomes SMH. But yes I am still big on OPS however situational hitting can easily be consider a lost art
But How do you improve if you are pitched around.
Also think some of you still see the strikeout Joey Gallo as opposed what we have now. We shall see if indeed 2020 was a fluke

Still if we can not extend him at seasons end it makes good sense to move him.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a shame we have been unable to cash in on that old Hickory class in a big way. It has passed us by now

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless I had a comfortable lead I would pitch around Gallo all day long. His stats are way less because of this.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, then you pretty sure Gallo is going to get a contract that is equivalent to hitters that have proven to be better than him?

Gallos talent is quite undervalued by some of you on this board.

Gonna respond to both of these points together.

My issue with re-signing Gallo has more to do with where the market is at than it does Gallo's talent. I look at the contracts of Trout, Rendon, Lindor, Tatis, etc. and how they have raised the market for hitters to an absurd degree. I'm not putting Gallo in their class, but when the market's ceiling rises, the entire thing follows suit. And currently, we're seeing $30m+ AAV coupled with 7+ years length for top tier hitters.

Let's say there are roughly 5 groups of hitters in baseball. A (best) to E (worst). For the purposes of my point, I'll say Gallo is in Group C. My guess is that he's going to be seeking a contract that puts him among those in Group B at minimum (taking into account his agent). Because the market is already being affected by the huge contracts being signed the past couple of seasons, the market for all the groups is now inflated. So Gallo is probably looking for high-end Group B money and possibly low-end Group A money.

If I had any faith that he'd one day be a Group B class hitter, I'd be more open to the idea. But I don't have that faith at this point.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gallos talent is quite undervalued by some of you on this board. It is a shame that so much was put on him as a franchise type player so early. I think he could be but without players around him, it is very difficult to carry a team vs spending time earlier in his career with a two strike approach. Just a shame that we finally realize an all or nothing approach is flawed
3 true outcomes SMH. But yes I am still big on OPS however situational hitting can easily be consider a lost art
Also think some of you still see the strikeout Joey Gallo as opposed what we have now. We shall see if indeed 2020 was a fluke

The possible extension is my main concern. Our FO has made some bad moves regarding extensions. At this date Gallo is running out of time to merit a large contract if he and Boras are going that direction. I think we all want a big time hitter from Joey. At some time he has to prove he is that guy.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me put it another way.

Gallo is probably going to be looking for 8 years at around 32m a year, if I had to guess. No way do I give him that.

I'm not against big contracts, but if we're going to spend that kind of money, it needs to be for more than what Gallo provides.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have always disliked the all or nothing approach. A roster filled with Gallos and odors isn’t fun to watch because they generally strike out a ton and rarely put the ball in play.

as a fan, I’ve always preferred what I call actual or real baseball. Things like hit and run, stolen bases, Sac flies, and stringing hits together should be emphasized over the Jeff banister meathead style of play where you go up and swing for the fences and a strikeout is ok as long as you are trying to hit a home run.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anything been leaked on what Gallo wants. Would not be surprised if an opt out clause is involved. Hardly makes sense to extend him unless you go after a SS. Maybe IKF can slide to 2B.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more rant

Still not a able to watch games at home. Baseball is an elitist sport now. Players want obscene money and owners are making a killing but instead the raised costs are thrown onto the consumer. I used to be a STH but the sport has gone crazy. People say don’t blame the Rangers for all the TV blackouts but even if you get MLB app all home games and games in Houston are blacked out.
The team really is not a consumer advocate. Terrible

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more rant

Still not a able to watch games at home. Baseball is an elitist sport now. Players want obscene money and owners are making a killing but instead the raised costs are thrown onto the consumer. I used to be a STH but the sport has gone crazy. People say don’t blame the Rangers for all the TV blackouts but even if you get MLB app all home games and games in Houston are blacked out.
I do not know why you can't get the games. I pay dearly for Direct TV but I watch all the games.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always disliked the all or nothing approach. A roster filled with Gallos and odors isn’t fun to watch because they generally strike out a ton and rarely put the ball in play.

as a fan, I’ve always preferred what I call actual or real baseball. Things like hit and run, stolen bases, Sac flies, and stringing hits together should be emphasized over the Jeff banister meathead style of play where you go up and swing for the fences and a strikeout is ok as long as you are trying to hit a home run.
I don’t mind swinging for the fences but a player needs to know how to have a situational approach and also know how to protect with 2 strikes. Balance
Also it is good to have a normal swing that can beat a shift

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more rant

I could be wrong, but I don't think teams have any control over blackouts. That's a MLB policy, and I agree it's complete bullshit. The sport has no idea how to market itself.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could be wrong, but I don't think teams have any control over blackouts. That's a MLB policy, and I agree it's complete bullshit. The sport has no idea how to market itself.
Not directly but I see no protest from the Rangers or MLB. They were happy to take the money

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not directly but I see no protest from the Rangers or MLB. They were happy to take the money

It's a MLB policy, they're not going to protest their own policy. Every team is subject to it, not just the Rangers. I'm not sure what they or any team could do about it.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gonna respond to both of these points together.

My issue with re-signing Gallo has more to do with where the market is at than it does Gallo's talent. I look at the contracts of Trout, Rendon, Lindor, Tatis, etc. and how they have raised the market for hitters to an absurd degree. I'm not putting Gallo in their class, but when the market's ceiling rises, the entire thing follows suit. And currently, we're seeing $30m+ AAV coupled with 7+ years length for top tier hitters.

Let's say there are roughly 5 groups of hitters in baseball. A (best) to E (worst). For the purposes of my point, I'll say Gallo is in Group C. My guess is that he's going to be seeking a contract that puts him among those in Group B at minimum (taking into account his agent). Because the market is already being affected by the huge contracts being signed the past couple of seasons, the market for all the groups is now inflated. So Gallo is probably looking for high-end Group B money and possibly low-end Group A money.

If I had any faith that he'd one day be a Group B class hitter, I'd be more open to the idea. But I don't have that faith at this point.
That is a good way to look at the situation. I guess it all depends on which group each of us place him in and if he is indeed looking for a contract worth more than those in his group are getting.

I would probably place him in your B tier myself, but I understand why some do not.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing to consider when determining how much you pay a player should be the overall budget. The more good young guys we can fill in on the 26 man roster the more we can afford to pay the few very good to elite players.

With this ballpark, having a budget of $175-180 million should be reasonable. If you have the talent to have about 20 of those guys making close to minimum, because of them still being young guys who have come through the system, then you can spend more in the remaining guys. You can even overspend on one or two of them.