• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.4

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the value of RBI totals is that it gives you some measurement of how a batter performs under pressure - certainly there's more pressure to perform with RISP. Some guys succeed with that more often than others. To me the RBI total is important as a positive stat for those who do well, but as a negative stat for a player it fails to help.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the value of RBI totals is that it gives you some measurement of how a batter performs under pressure - certainly there's more pressure to perform with RISP. Some guys succeed with that more often than others. To me the RBI total is important as a positive stat for those who do well, but as a negative stat for a player it fails to help.
Agreed. I've never considered RBIs the stat of stats, but it definitely carries a level of importance.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... which makes the stat worthless! i think that was richig's point. if you read the article i posted it's clear it's a faulty stat.
faulty = bs stat. an rbi guy has to have the opportunity the other players provide to "become the rbi guy". looking at it any other way is cart before the horse.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... which makes the stat worthless! i think that was richig's point. if you read the article i posted it's clear it's a faulty stat.
faulty = bs stat. an rbi guy has to have the opportunity the other players provide to "become the rbi guy". looking at it any other way is cart before the horse.
No, it is just a matter of measuring the performance vs. the opportunity to perform. However, it is a valid comparison to look at one team's 3 and 4 hitters and compare them to 3 and 4 hitters on other teams.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it is just a matter of measuring the performance vs. the opportunity to perform. However, it is a valid comparison to look at one team's 3 and 4 hitters and compare them to 3 and 4 hitters on other teams.
pretty much what i'm getting at. the number of rbi's a given player has isn't reflected solely or even largely by that player's abilities, but by the team and the opportunities it provides ... which make "rbi" as a stand alone personal stat bullshit.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pretty much what i'm getting at. the number of rbi's a given player has isn't reflected solely or even largely by that player's abilities, but by the team and the opportunities it provides ... which make "rbi" as a stand alone personal stat bullshit.
Yet, the RBI stat is not random as MLB RBI leaders - tend to also be MLB's best players going to the beginning of stats. It is not a stat that produces "one-year wonders."

I think LSD and would agree that it is a stat that has significant flaws. It stands apart from the BS. ;)

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet, the RBI stat is not random as MLB RBI leaders - tend to also be MLB's best players going to the beginning of stats. It is not a stat that produces "one-year wonders."

I think LSD and would agree that it is a stat that has significant flaws. It stands apart from the BS. ;)
well, we'll disagree on the bs part but yes the best players tend to produce ... mainly because . . . they're the best players.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gavin Sheets is toast - Moose will take his job. I don't think the Sox will get anything for Sheets.

Mendick might get himself a roster spot.

The current Vegas odds makers show the Sox at an over or under of 63.5 wins. I think betting the over is a pretty safe bet. I base this on the idea that a team full of guys interested in playing the game - will win more games than what we saw from the players last year.

Jordan Leasure will probably make the Bullpen to start the season.

Guys who may get moved at the next training deadline: Cease - Eloy - Moncada - Fedde - Max Stassi - Vaughn - Pillar - DeJong - Lopez and various bullpen possibilities. Perhaps Soroka shows something, and he will get moved since the Sox only control him this year. The Sox also - have a very good group of minor league catchers they can sweeten deals with.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gavin Sheets is toast - Moose will take his job. I don't think the Sox will get anything for Sheets.

Mendick might get himself a roster spot.

The current Vegas odds makers show the Sox at an over or under of 63.5 wins. I think betting the over is a pretty safe bet. I base this on the idea that a team full of guys interested in playing the game - will win more games than what we saw from the players last year.

Jordan Leasure will probably make the Bullpen to start the season.

Guys who may get moved at the next training deadline: Cease - Eloy - Moncada - Fedde - Max Stassi - Vaughn - Pillar - DeJong - Lopez and various bullpen possibilities. Perhaps Soroka shows something, and he will get moved since the Sox only control him this year. The Sox also - have a very good group of minor league catchers they can sweeten deals with.
why do you ay that about sheets? he's having a decent spring.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why do you ay that about sheets? he's having a decent spring.
Getz - wants defense - Sheets can play 1st base and RF, but he defends neither one well. Mike Moustakas plays 3rd and 1st and defends both very well. Both provide the LH bat - and both have some power (though I would give Sheets the edge on power, but we aren't talking big HRs numbers either way). Getz brought Moustakas in - they were former teammates and Sheets has been a disappointment with the Sox in his MLB career. So, the way I read the tea leaves - Moustakas was already going to be the guy before Spring training started - depending on showing up and passing a physical.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getz - wants defense - Sheets can play 1st base and RF, but he defends neither one well. Mike Moustakas plays 3rd and 1st and defends both very well. Both provide the LH bat - and both have some power (though I would give Sheets the edge on power, but we aren't talking big HRs numbers either way). Getz brought Moustakas in - they were former teammates and Sheets has been a disappointment with the Sox in his MLB career. So, the way I read the tea leaves - Moustakas was already going to be the guy before Spring training started - depending on showing up and passing a physical.
if either of these guys is worthless it's moustakas. his owar since '21 is negative 13! why is he suddenly a candidate for a good year? he shouldn't make this team. sheets is a power lefty making only $750k this year. plus i think they're more in need of depth in the outfield than at 3rd. don't know what moustakas signed for but i'm guessing it'd be more if he makes the team. he's over 35 and well past his prime meaning he's also probably more a health risk.

on another note ... watching kopeck suck (again) on the mound today. he and jimenez are the two guys i had the highest hopes for and both are just garbage so far. so disappointing.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if either of these guys is worthless it's moustakas. his owar since '21 is negative 13! why is he suddenly a candidate for a good year? he shouldn't make this team. sheets is a power lefty making only $750k this year. plus i think they're more in need of depth in the outfield than at 3rd. don't know what moustakas signed for but i'm guessing it'd be more if he makes the team. he's over 35 and well past his prime meaning he's also probably more a health risk.

on another note ... watching kopeck suck (again) on the mound today. he and jimenez are the two guys i had the highest hopes for and both are just garbage so far. so disappointing.
I'll have Sheets send you his resume - he gone.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now have a -35 run differential through 14 spring training games. The second worst team is at -17.

We can't even provide the illusion of competitiveness in meaningless games.

#Middleofthedynastythings

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We now have a -35 run differential through 14 spring training games. The second worst team is at -17.

We can't even provide the illusion of competitiveness in meaningless games.

#Middleofthedynastythings
The Sox are working through about 35 pitching prospects - and they all need mound time. I'd worry about run differential later in ST.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox are working through about 35 pitching prospects - and they all need mound time. I'd worry about run differential later in ST.

To give you the benefit of the doubt...I checked how many pitchers the Dodgers have run out in their 14 games with a +38 run differential.

43 pitchers in 14 games.

Your house is made of glass.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a stat breakdown, but it has seemed early on that a sizable percentage of runs surrendered by our staff so far have been at the expense of pitchers who have no chance of going north when camp breaks.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have a stat breakdown, but it has seemed early on that a sizable percentage of runs surrendered by our staff so far have been at the expense of pitchers who have no chance of going north when camp breaks.
and because you don't have a breakdown you should butt out! and you're wrong. just the first two worst are toussaint and shaw.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly - if you look that the box scores - it is almost always one pitcher who gives up like 7 runs and the rest 1 run or zero.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3