• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.0

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So to me, based on all that I'm reading, it's looking an awful lot like the season is going to be truncated resulting from a later start date. The two numbers I'm seeing the most are 140 and 130 game options. The question is do you think a shortened schedule hurts or helps the Sox chances for a postseason berth....or does it even matter (as in we're gonna kick ass no matter what)?
It's not the length of the season - being shorter that will help - it is the later start. Playing baseball in Chicago in March and early April is brutal for pitchers and hitters. I think a late start for the White Sox is probably good from that stand point, but if it means a late finish that just moves the cold problem to the end rather than at the beginning.

The only other problem I have the shorter season - is that some guys have great seasons will get cheated on setting club records - like its conceivable Eloy Jimenez has the ability to set a club record for HRs.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the length of the season - being shorter that will help - it is the later start. Playing baseball in Chicago in March and early April is brutal for pitchers and hitters. I think a late start for the White Sox is probably good from that stand point, but if it means a late finish that just moves the cold problem to the end rather than at the beginning.

The only other problem I have the shorter season - is that some guys have great seasons will get cheated on setting club records - like its conceivable Eloy Jimenez has the ability to set a club record for HRs.
I completely agree, including your comment in another post that Latino players might benefit a bit more than others due to them not being use to playing in colder weather, especially to start the season after playing in perfect climates (AZ & FL) during spring training. And I'm not sure if any club has more Latinos on its roster than the White Sox. Interesting enough tho, if it turns out they end up playing the full 162 game schedule, the first 7 games will be played on the West coast - 4 against the Angels, 3 with the Mariners. So for at least that first week cold, nasty weather wouldn't be an issue.

I doubt anyone wants to see a truncated season for a myriad of reasons, including the likely squashing of so many records.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree, including your comment in another post that Latino players might benefit a bit more than others due to them not being use to playing in colder weather, especially to start the season after playing in perfect climates (AZ & FL) during spring training. And I'm not sure if any club has more Latinos on its roster than the White Sox. Interesting enough tho, if it turns out they end up playing the full 162 game schedule, the first 7 games will be played on the West coast - 4 against the Angels, 3 with the Mariners. So for at least that first week cold, nasty weather wouldn't be an issue.

I doubt anyone wants to see a truncated season for a myriad of reasons, including the likely squashing of so many records.
Historically - of course, the Sox don't do well on the West Coast trips.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically - of course, the Sox don't do well on the West Coast trips.
This is true and try this on for size: The latest rumors have the Angels as possibly the team most likely to ink Trevor Bauer. Guess who we face on opening day? Yep, you guessed it. The Mets are the other co-favorite for Bauer, but they may be focusing more on signing Springer and are now rumored to also be in the mix for an Arenado trade. If both of these are true, then I see them bowing out of the Bauer sweepstakes.

But back to the Sox not doing well on West Coast trips. Often times in the past we were the weaker opponent when making such trips. This is no longer the case. We are clearly better than any West Coast team not called the Dodgers or Padres, and we don't face either of these clubs in '21 - at least not in the regular season. :tongue:

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A case against signing Liam Hendriks:

He actually makes some salient points as to why inking Hendriks would be a too-costly signing or perhaps better stated, not getting enough bang for the buck. As much as I'm still for the Sox acquiring his services, I agree that a straight up 4 year deal for $50-60m is quite steep for a reliever, even a top-of-the-line closer like Hendriks. I always figured the Sox would make him a 4 year offer and probably at $12-15m per year. But the last two years should be club options and if the Sox were to decline in either season, a nice buyout of say $2m should be included to seal the deal. This seems a lot more reasonable and realistic. If another club wants to offer a better deal, so be it.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A case against signing Liam Hendriks:

He actually makes some salient points as to why inking Hendriks would be a too-costly signing or perhaps better stated, not getting enough bang for the buck. As much as I'm still for the Sox acquiring his services, I agree that a straight up 4 year deal for $50-60m is quite steep for a reliever, even a top-of-the-line closer like Hendriks. I always figured the Sox would make him a 4 year offer and probably at $12-15m per year. But the last two years should be club options and if the Sox were to decline in either season, a nice buyout of say $2m should be included to seal the deal. This seems a lot more reasonable and realistic. If another club wants to offer a better deal, so be it.
The Sox are never shy about bidding someone up and walking away. Since the Sox have their own FA closer on the market - even if they walk away from Hendriks - they have eliminated one suiter for Colome. Also - the Sox - as I have mentioned in the past - have two potential closers on the roster in Bummer and Heuer.

If the Sox had Hendriks - they could go 7 (Heuer) - 8 (Bummer) and 9 and 10 with Hendriks. Or, if the starter goes 7 - still have a great bullpen arm - after two closer innings by Hendriks. It's not about improving the end game closer record - it's about making themselves invincible all the way out to the 7th inning and past the 9th. What really makes Hendriks stand out is his ability to go longer than closers usually go.

I do think Hendriks goes for $15 mil a year and for 4 years.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox are never shy about bidding someone up and walking away. Since the Sox have their own FA closer on the market - even if they walk away from Hendriks - they have eliminated one suiter for Colome. Also - the Sox - as I have mentioned in the past - have two potential closers on the roster in Bummer and Heuer.

If the Sox had Hendriks - they could go 7 (Heuer) - 8 (Bummer) and 9 and 10 with Hendriks. Or, if the starter goes 7 - still have a great bullpen arm - after two closer innings by Hendriks. It's not about improving the end game closer record - it's about making themselves invincible all the way out to the 7th inning and past the 9th. What really makes Hendriks stand out is his ability to go longer than closers usually go.

I do think Hendriks goes for $15 mil a year and for 4 years.
I highlighted two of your statements, big dawg. As to the first one, we probably shouldn't leave out either Kopech or Crochet as candidates for the team closer as well. Probably more so Crochet, but either could be a candidate for the spot. I'm guessing if the Sox don't sign an established closer, including Colome, then Bummer will likely be given first crack at the position.

As to highlight #2, I'm not gonna disagree. It's quite possible, even likely that Hendriks gets a full 4 year deal and $60m total sounds about right. If that team who signed him to such a contract were the Sox, I'd obviously welcome the man with open arms, but it would be IMO too much $$$.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I highlighted two of your statements, big dawg. As to the first one, we probably shouldn't leave out either Kopech or Crochet as candidates for the team closer as well. Probably more so Crochet, but either could be a candidate for the spot. I'm guessing if the Sox don't sign an established closer, including Colome, then Bummer will likely be given first crack at the position.

As to highlight #2, I'm not gonna disagree. It's quite possible, even likely that Hendriks gets a full 4 year deal and $60m total sounds about right. If that team who signed him to such a contract were the Sox, I'd obviously welcome the man with open arms, but it would be IMO too much $$$.
Kopech and Crochet are potential closers only in emergency situations - possibly for one year only - or, if they fail as starters. I think Kopech gets his trial as a starter prior to Crochet - as I think Crochet will be in the bullpen next year -while Kopech will be either the 5th starter or in AAA starting.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kopech and Crochet are potential closers only in emergency situations - possibly for one year only - or, if they fail as starters. I think Kopech gets his trial as a starter prior to Crochet - as I think Crochet will be in the bullpen next year -while Kopech will be either the 5th starter or in AAA starting.
I agree about Kopech, altho as you suggested, he could start the '21 campaign in Charlotte, mainly to build up his stamina and get some starts under his belt. I don't want to rule out him beginning the season in the pen, but I think they've always pictured him in the rotation. If so, he almost surely has to go the AAA route.

Crochet is more of a question mark. I believe Hahn when he says they drafted Crochet to be a starter, but they also drafted Sale to be one as well and he began his Sox career in the pen. I'll put it this way, if the Sox want Crochet to be a starter out of the gate, then I think it's almost a certainty that he begins the season in Charlotte. But if they're ok with using him at least initially out of the pen, then I'm betting that he heads north with the team when they break camp. Personally, I'm for the latter.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what's going on with colome?
I haven't heard jack squat about him, either with the Sox or any other team for that matter. This has been a very strange offseason so far - of course for obvious reasons.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about Kopech, altho as you suggested, he could start the '21 campaign in Charlotte, mainly to build up his stamina and get some starts under his belt. I don't want to rule out him beginning the season in the pen, but I think they've always pictured him in the rotation. If so, he almost surely has to go the AAA route.

Crochet is more of a question mark. I believe Hahn when he says they drafted Crochet to be a starter, but they also drafted Sale to be one as well and he began his Sox career in the pen. I'll put it this way, if the Sox want Crochet to be a starter out of the gate, then I think it's almost a certainty that he begins the season in Charlotte. But if they're ok with using him at least initially out of the pen, then I'm betting that he heads north with the team when they break camp. Personally, I'm for the latter.
I believe the handling of Crochet will mirror the handling of Sale. He will be stretched for long relief - and become a starter later in the year, but probably next year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cuban season for the Sox is like Deer Season in some states - highly anticipated.

I don't think there will be enough money to sign Colas too, but hey - when you can get a Cuban player whose name begins in Y - sign him.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a PSA narrated by Aylissa Milano - showing Jerry Reinsdorf shivering in a cage - while the over riding narrative describes poor Jerry losing a few $Mil last year - because of the virus - even though he got TV money and was able to pay pro-rated salaries to the players - asking us to send him a dollar to make him feel better and go out and sign some players.

We already got the script for a new Major Leagues movie - with an owner who treats losing money like his children have died before he did - and an old drunk manager - who used to be good, but every 13 years gets slapped with a new DUI. A flamboyant lead off hitter with a heart of gold - and an old fixture latino player from the Caribbean who wears a Viking bead in his beard. A LF who can hit anything at the plate and can field well as along as the ball isn't too far away and there is no wall or net to negotiate during the fielding opportunity. A CF who slides headfirst into 3rd base by starting with a chest flop halfway between 2nd and 3rd. A 2nd baseman who has between the infield and outfield power. A 3rd baseman still trying to shake the Covid out of his legs and a Catcher with so many intangibles he can go invisible if he turns the right way.

Go Sox!

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need a PSA narrated by Aylissa Milano - showing Jerry Reinsdorf shivering in a cage - while the over riding narrative describes poor Jerry losing a few $Mil last year - because of the virus - even though he got TV money and was able to pay pro-rated salaries to the players - asking us to send him a dollar to make him feel better and go out and sign some players.

We already got the script for a new Major Leagues movie - with an owner who treats losing money like his children have died before he did - and an old drunk manager - who used to be good, but every 13 years gets slapped with a new DUI. A flamboyant lead off hitter with a heart of gold - and an old fixture latino player from the Caribbean who wears a Viking bead in his beard. A LF who can hit anything at the plate and can field well as along as the ball isn't too far away and there is no wall or net to negotiate during the fielding opportunity. A CF who slides headfirst into 3rd base by starting with a chest flop halfway between 2nd and 3rd. A 2nd baseman who has between the infield and outfield power. A 3rd baseman still trying to shake the Covid out of his legs and a Catcher with so many intangibles he can go invisible if he turns the right way.

Go Sox!
This is what drunk typing looks like.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Sox are about to sign the kid brother of Yoenis Céspedes.

One take I'm getting from the Céspedes signing is the Sox are probably giving up on Micker Adolfo as their future RF, with Céspedes likely being geared for that spot. Keep in mind that Adolfo still ranks as the organization's #8 prospect. But his strengths are also Céspedes' strengths, only the latter has even more of them. Here are the MLB's grades on the kid (20-80, with 80 being perfection):

Hit: 50
Field: 55
Power: 55
Run: 60
Arm: 60

Remember, any score of 50 & over is considered very good, so this unofficially makes Céspedes a 5 tool prospect. Micker's arm is or at least was rated 70 prior to his TJ surgery. But that's the only area where he's officially graded higher. So I'm looking to see the Sox include him in some type of trade package this winter or perhaps at the trade deadline.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea in RF is typical White Sox kind of thinking - you will find failed in the catcher's position. Have multiple candidates for a position in AA and AAA and hope one of them comes through.

White Sox RF candidates from the minors include: Cespedes, Adolpho, Rutherford and Gonzales. Cespedes is the new shinny ball for us to chase after and I like him. Adolpho hasn't really hit for power or average and hasn't come back yet from surgery. Rutherford, however, reportedly had a monster camp in Schaumberg - showing power that has always been hoped for by the Sox . Don't sleep on Rutherford - he is a lefty hitter and if he can sustain decent power - he will be the guy as he can field and hit for average (not a speedster, but average for an OF).