• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Random Thoughts 2.0

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea in RF is typical White Sox kind of thinking - you will find failed in the catcher's position. Have multiple candidates for a position in AA and AAA and hope one of them comes through.

White Sox RF candidates from the minors include: Cespedes, Adolpho, Rutherford and Gonzales. Cespedes is the new shinny ball for us to chase after and I like him. Adolpho hasn't really hit for power or average and hasn't come back yet from surgery. Rutherford, however, reportedly had a monster camp in Schaumberg - showing power that has always been hoped for by the Sox . Don't sleep on Rutherford - he is a lefty hitter and if he can sustain decent power - he will be the guy as he can field and hit for average (not a speedster, but average for an OF).
i haven't seen anything good from this guy at all. i expect he will never reach the major leagues
.... what happens in schaumberg STAYS in schaumberg!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I'll split the baby with the bathwater and kinda agree with both of you. We shouldn't completely rule out Rutherford and as Mingo reminds us, he brings a LH bat to the equation. But like id, I haven't seen any results from his minor league numbers that scream big league promotion. He's approaching his age 24 season, so while that remains a far cry from being considered a washed up age, you'd like to think that a one-time highly rated prospect would have already made his move or at least be on the cusp of reaching the majors. But again, never say never. If we can have a reasonably normal minor league campaign, maybe he'll show us something that will merit a mid or late season promotion.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yoelqui Cespedes - The Cespedes for the rest of us.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yoelqui Cespedes - The Cespedes for the rest of us.
Hahaha, love that little play on Festivus there.

But a much more important question to ask you, Mingo. On Jan 1, are you going to start a Random Thoughts 2.1 thread? It would only be fitting.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, just read that the Padres traded for Snell. It cost them 4 of their higher ranked prospects, including 3 of them in their top 14. But to me, that's more than reasonable, especially considering the Padres farm is stacked. Nice move on their part.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahaha, love that little play on Festivus there.

But a much more important question to ask you, Mingo. On Jan 1, are you going to start a Random Thoughts 2.1 thread? It would only be fitting.
Yes - I will do that - even though it hardly seems random. ;)

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes - I will do that - even though it hardly seems random. ;)
LOL, yeah, random probably doesn't really apply. But hey, traditions are traditions and you've started a new one for this board. Why change?

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, just read that the Padres traded for Snell. It cost them 4 of their higher ranked prospects, including 3 of them in their top 14. But to me, that's more than reasonable, especially considering the Padres farm is stacked. Nice move on their part.

And double wow....as I continue reading about this trade, apparently the Padres remain in "deep discussions" with the Cubs to acquire Yu Darvish as well. Dayum, if they land him, that just might make the Friars the WS favorite, at least from Vegas odds that is.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And double wow....as I continue reading about this trade, apparently the Padres remain in "deep discussions" with the Cubs to acquire Yu Darvish as well. Dayum, if they land him, that just might make the Friars the WS favorite, at least from Vegas odds that is.

aside from last year's 1/3 season, darvish hasn't had a good year since 2016, and that was only so so! cubs were dumb to give him that contract and pads would be dumb to take on the last 3 of it considering he'll start the year at age 34.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aside from last year's 1/3 season, darvish hasn't had a good year since 2016, and that was only so so! cubs were dumb to give him that contract and pads would be dumb to take on the last 3 of it considering he'll start the year at age 34.
Agreed about the Cubs overpaying, but that still doesn't diminish the fact that Darvish had one hell of a year in '20. No guarantee that those efforts will be duplicated, but if I was betting on him having a good or bad season, my money would be on the good. If the Padres land him, they will almost certainly be right up there with the Dodgers and Braves as one of the teams to beat in the NL.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those trades all look great until one of your acquired pitchers gets arm trouble - and the club is stuck with an expensive contract - with nobody left in the minors to fill in. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those trades all look great until one of your acquired pitchers gets arm trouble - and the club is stuck with an expensive contract - with nobody left in the minors to fill in. You pays your money and you takes your chances.
Speaking of trades, NBCSports ran a hypothetical trade between the Sox and Rays, substituting what we might have had to give up in comparable prospects to what the Padres surrendered.

Nothing set in stone here, it was all suggestive, but if remotely close, there's no way I would have given up what's mentioned in the article. Two of the four suggested prospects were on my personal untouchables list. No way, Jose.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of trades, NBCSports ran a hypothetical trade between the Sox and Rays, substituting what we might have had to give up in comparable prospects to what the Padres surrendered.

Nothing set in stone here, it was all suggestive, but if remotely close, there's no way I would have given up what's mentioned in the article. Two of the four suggested prospects were on my personal untouchables list. No way, Jose.
agree. and maybe we'll get more than one year from lynn. based on what already have i believe our top 4 prospects should be untouchable.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy freakin' shit - the Padres are about to acquire Darvish from the Cubs:

This could very well make the Friars the top team for the WS title, at least from a Vegas betting standpoint. Hot damn!!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of follow up thoughts before heading out for a dental appt (yuck):

1. I admire the way the Padres were able to acquire two very high end starters, and while it put a dent into their farm talent to get this done, they managed to do so while still retaining their #1 prospect, MacKenzie Gore, who just so happens to be MLB Pipeline's #1 ranked pitching prospect. And my guess is when it comes to salaries, it won't cost the Pads any more for these two than it will for whichever club inks Bauer. Two for the price of one. And I have to say as well that if the Rays & Cubs had to move such high caliber pitchers, I'm glad they both landed in the National League - less direct competition against the Good Guys. :clap:

2. With the Cubs now ditching Darvish and the Schwarbs and perhaps more to follow, if the Sox weren't already, they are now clearly the top dog in Chicago. Woof woof!!

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little at-the-moment take on the '21 AL Central from the MLB channel. Of course a little bias from our own Chuck Garfien:

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little at-the-moment take on the '21 AL Central from the MLB channel. Of course a little bias from our own Chuck Garfien:

Just one of many discussions/articles that are gonna ride our nuts...There's probably so many written/prepared for the next few months that they're already working on the "expand on our nuts" and "What is happening with the White Sox" stuff they're prepping for early season based on results...

Buckle up boys.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just one of many discussions/articles that are gonna ride our nuts...There's probably so many written/prepared for the next few months that they're already working on the "expand on our nuts" and "What is happening with the White Sox" stuff they're prepping for early season based on results...

Buckle up boys.
Well, it's nice for a change to be discussing the Sox in terms of division title/playoff possibilities instead of the usual rebuilding blather. I'm certainly not ready to give us the flag when the New Year bell hasn't even rung in yet, but I sure am ready to believe we have ourselves a pretty damn good ballclub.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's nice for a change to be discussing the Sox in terms of division title/playoff possibilities instead of the usual rebuilding blather. I'm certainly not ready to give us the flag when the New Year bell hasn't even rung in yet, but I sure am ready to believe we have ourselves a pretty damn good ballclub.
anxiously awaiting your first new year's post. :drum: