• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams game notes from Ray Dogg

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More post-game notes, quotes and thoughts on 16-13 OT loss | 49ers Hot Read

Ginn didn’t return to that game in New Orleans because of what Harbaugh called a hand/wrist issue, and yet they’re trusting him in that spot today?

That's dumb.

---------

(On who the more nimble quarterback was today)
“I think he (49ers QB Colin Kaepernick) did get out of the pocket for a long one. I’m not sure if I quite have that speed, but I was able to make a couple plays with my feet today and I’ll look to continue to do that.”

Not sure? No, you don't. :) I get it, though. Not something he really thought about so I'm only joking.

Last edited by a moderator:

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But you know, Ginn could have protected his wrist by just falling on the ball. Not saying the play call wasn't dumb, and now the personnel for the play call was dumb.

The reason I said what I did was for this reason and people can tell me if I'm dumb or not for thinking this way. In my mind if the training and coaching staff deem Ginn healthy enough to be able to go out and run routes and be an option in the passing game to CATCH the ball, then I generally don't have a problem using him coming out of the backfield to catch an option pitch.

I didn't hate the call like so many others but I wouldn't say I liked it either. I expect Kaepernick and Ginn to be able to make that connection. I expect a player like Kaepernick and any receiver to be able to make that play.

The reason why I'm not entirely good with that call is because of where the ball was on the field and the slight risk involved if what happened on the play (Kaepernick's midjudgement) ends up happening on that play. I would RATHER live with a poor read by Kaepernick dropping back resulting in an INT or something more traditional like that than what happened on that play. That's really the only problem I had with that play.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/12/03/refo-49ers-rams-week-13/

Some highlights:

Blemish on the O-Line

The 49ers have had the league’s best offensive line this season, and four of the five starters were getting it done again today. The one blemish on that performance came from LG Mike Iupati, who struggled in pass protection in the game and had a mixed day with his run blocking. Iupati coughed up a hit and three hurries, and accounted for almost half of the total pressure the 49ers allowed all game long. He was also flagged for a holding penalty when he was badly beaten to his inside as the 49ers were trying to get out from the shadow of their own goal line with a fullback dive up the middle.

With Anthony Davis, Alex Boone and Joe Staley in particular all having fine games, we can put this down to something of an anomaly, but it’s a game where Iupati will feel he should and could have done much better.

-----

Stand Out D

Ten members of the 49ers’ defense graded in the green for this game, so singling any out for praise is tough work, but there were a couple of standouts that do deserve some credit. Chris Culliver had another excellent game as he looks to prove he is one of the league’s brightest up and coming corners. He was targeted seven times and allowed just four catches for 28 yards. He showed excellent coverage on both deep shots and short passes, where he was able to pull a ball out in the process of making a tackle that saved a first down on a quick slant. Culliver was arguably the best performer on that defense, but Carlos Rogers and Justin Smith were consistently making plays too.

----------

Not a Cushioned Landing

For some reason the Rams spent this entire game playing miles off the 49ers’ receivers. This was obviously a coaching point, so it is a little unfair to single out Jenkins (-3.7) for it, but he was victimized again and again by playing so far off his man. Jenkins was thrown at 11 times and gave up nine catches for 74 yards, seven of which went for first downs. Even on a 3rd-and-3 play late in the game, Jenkins gave Randy Moss a dozen yards to play with off the snap, and Moss just turned back to the ball after picking up the first down leaving Jenkins nowhere. Only some decent work in run support and his touchdown save this from being a truly ugly day at the office for Jenkins.

------------

– Colin Kaepernick’s passer rating under pressure was just 45.1 in this game, while it was 92.8 when he was kept clean. Luckily he was kept clean for the majority of the game.

------------

– Running was tough sledding in this game. Frank Gore earned 33 of his 58 yards after contact, and 36 of Steven Jackson’s 48 came that way as well.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sam Monson's OL breakdown:

LT Joe Staley - Clean game. 0 sacks. 0 hits. 0 hurries.
LG Mike Iupati - 0 sacks. 1 QB hit. 3 hurries.
C Jonathan Goodwin - 0 sacks. 0 hits. 1 hurry.
RG Alex Boone - 0 sacks. 0 hits. 0 hurries.
RT Anthony Davis - 1 sack. 0 hits. 2 hurries

RG Daniel Kilgore (7 plays, 1 pass play) - Clean.
RG Leonard Davis (6 plays, 1 pass play) - Clean.

Total - 7 QB hurries, 1 QB hit, 1 sack on the OL (2 on Kaepernick)

I have yet to see The Dallas Morning News' or The Washington Post's breakdown yet, but they're all usually pretty close. And for goodness sakes, the coaches' breakdown is the only one that matters. I wish I wouldn't feel the need to say that anymore, but that's not the case yet.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sam Monson's OL breakdown:

LT Joe Staley - Clean game. 0 sacks. 0 hits. 0 hurries.
LG Mike Iupati - 0 sacks. 1 QB hit. 3 hurries.
C Jonathan Goodwin - 0 sacks. 0 hits. 1 hurry.
RG Alex Boone - 0 sacks. 0 hits. 0 hurries.
RT Anthony Davis - 1 sack. 0 hits. 2 hurries

RG Daniel Kilgore (7 plays, 1 pass play) - Clean.
RG Leonard Davis (6 plays, 1 pass play) - Clean.

Total - 7 QB hurries, 1 QB hit, 1 sack on the OL (2 on Kaepernick)
I have yet to see The Dallas Morning News' or The Washington Post's breakdown yet, but they're all usually pretty close. And for goodness sakes, the coaches' breakdown is the only one that matters. I wish I wouldn't feel the need to say that anymore, but that's not the case yet.

i singled out the O-line in another thread, so on one hand these stats show it wasn't so bad?

but my reason was.........felt too many of those hurries occured in a HURRY!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Were those some mistakes that Kaepernick made specifically or would you just say that, offensively, there were mistakes, in those two situations, the safety and the touchdown?

“Well, tough loss. We’ve got to finish games. That’s our job to finish those games. We all take responsibility for that. And the responsibility taking starts with me on that option play that resulted in the nightmare scenario. And it’s a position in the game where I should have not let that play be called. So, I take responsibility for that.”

So, I saw some calls from people saying that for whatever reason, Harbaugh needed to do a better job of owning up to the fumble play after just briefly touching on it last night. Is this good enough? I would have to think so?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Another highlight:

You’ve gone out of your way to tell us that this is offensive coordinator Greg Roman’s offense. Did he call a good game yesterday?

“Yes. The other play that probably gets some scrutiny is the first down with two minutes to go, we through the ball to [TE] Delanie [Walker]. In terms of flipside of that is getting both of their timeouts, running the football and leaving them probably with 1:12 to a 1:20 on the clock. But, it was a well-designed play. A play that we had worked on and we felt would work. So, there’s been some, our guys have executed, our guys have called big plays before. And this one in particular didn’t work.”

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More on the decision to start him. Notice NO mention of a HOT HAND.

You resisted talking about long range, but was some of the decision to go with Colin, at least in these two games, that he’s growing and he’s going to be so much better maybe even by January? Was that part of this?

“I think the biggest thing is what helps us win now, these games that we’ve played and going forward.”