• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rams Current News & Events!

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember Mike Groh's name coming up a bit during our search for a replacement at OC and after a little research on my part, I was not a fan for him in that position.

It does look like he has done well in Chicago as the WR coach however.

Do you know if UVA ran the spread during Mike's tenure at UVA?

I believe that he did run a lot of plays with 4 WR sets. We did run tons of screen plays as well while he was there and used the running back quite a bit.

It was mainly the defense that was anchored by Chris Long that kept us in most games as the offense mostly useless.

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Shops, I appreciate your post. Outside of the Master Vent thread, I get tired of the constant disdain for Fisher that appears in almost every post, not that I don't understand it.

Sometimes it's good to just talk about Rams football and what other Rams fans think regarding the specifics of the story, not about what we already know regarding negative opinions about Fisher we see posted ad nauseam.

:suds:

constant distain? negative opinions?..Well then, why did you post the article? Were you trying to sucker us into speaking on what we have already been through? Why, I feel like I've just been bitched slapped!:trash:

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would just like him (Goff) to sit and hold a clipboard for a few games! Did Aaron Donald start right away? Did Greg Robinson start right away? You are wrong if you say yes! Hmmm I wonder why Fisher let them sit? So let me ask you this, what makes the rookie Qb any different? His job is much more complex than a d-lineman or an o-lineman. Fisher needs to break Goff in slowly and let him learn the speed of the game form the sidelines! Otherwise he WILL GET KILLED!.... BANK IT!!
I couldn't agree more zeke. I posted in the 'Case Kneenum to be dealt tonight' thread when I would like to see Goff start even if he is indeed ready Week 1.

And honestly, whether he is ready or not, looking at the schedule, I'm not sure if starting him on the road, vs a NFC rival on MNF is such a wise thing anyway.

Let a Vet like Case start, it wont be the same microscope or pressure and we probably come out with a win.

I already lined out the scenario I like in the prediction thread, let Goff sit the first 4 weeks, then give him his first start in W5 at home against vs the Bills.

This way he has only 2 real road games in 7 NFL Weeks before the back to back road games @NOR & @NWE. (W5@LAR vs BUF; W6@DET; W7@Lon vs NYG; W8BYE; W9@LAR vs CAR; W10@NYJ; W11@LAR vs MIA) Then he goes into the back to back NOR & NWE road games with multiple starts behind him.

Also we have a Vet, in Case, starting in those early critical NFC West contests in the first 4 weeks of the season.

I wont be surprised at all if Fisher starts out the season this way.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know, I just like the out of box thinking here, and it seems to come with a plan. Fisherball will only take us so far so now that we have a few weapons and a new specific coach to bring in spread options, which can fit our personnel very well, and may compliment Fisherball, is well, encouraging.

I don't know how it will work. Mike Groh at this point is a mixed bag but the up and comers almost always are otherwise they would be in an OC, DC or HC spot. I do like that Groh comes from the Mike Martz tree though. (I think that's right) And that is was involved with the Bama Championship teams too.

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not as stupid as signing a QB, leave him on the practice squad, let him go sign somewhere else and then trade a draft pick to get the guy back.

Then paying him more to give him a higher RFA protection when if they did a round 2 it'd cost less and maybe the Brocnos or someone would've signed him. Oh and then draft the replacement....

The Keenum thing drives me crazy too. That's why I can't support the notion that Snisher makes good moves

icefreeze57

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the MG hire at WR coach, OC is a different story. I know it won't happen, but hopefully Snisher is fired and we have a new coach who brings in a new staff

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't expect the Rams to stop running the ball and try to spread it around like they started out in the 2014 season. They are installing the spread, with the help of Mike Groh, to have better options and a better fit with their personnel, when teams are stacking the box and keying on TG, so continue to expect large doses of Gurley early and often this coming season.

This installation should give us more options, so I have no problem with this. The maturation of Tavon Austin in the Pros as a WR (Former spread guy) may provide better use of the West Virginia star, as well as Kneenum and Goff (Also former spread guys who excelled in spread offenses). And least we forget about these Offensive lineman who too mostly came from spread offenses.

It will be interesting to see what Groh can do with Quick but we should all be keeping an eye on Alshon Jeffery. If he and the Bears don't sign an extension by July 1st, then Jeffery will be a URFA next year and Mike Groh has been partially attributed to Jeffery's success. If Alshon isn't signed to a multiyear deal and has a subpar year in Chicago, then Jeffery's may decide to reunite with his former WR coach here in Los Angeles.

Your article states facts! An offensive "Genious" Fisher is NOT! That Fisher knew nothing about or has never ran a spread type offense! Also 3 years ago, Shotty was the guy running the system. We learned real fast that this was a over complicated train wreck! Shotty's system was just too hard to learn! :gaah:

So fast forward 3 years........ here we are with basically the same coach trying to do the same thing but now with a rookie qb. So what did we learn from the prior disaster? Anything?? Will Fisher dump the same complicated system on the rookie and start him on day 1? :L I sure as hell hope not! Or will Fisher simplify the system and sit the kid a while so that he can become more comfortable?

Before you go ballistic on me, I don't think I am being negative in this post, a lot of this is facts from your article, that in a way baffle me. In order to give the kid a fighting chance, I just hope that our coaches give the rookie a more simpler system to learn. I just want the kid to feel comfortable with his new offense over all. :2cents:

Ok now you can let loose!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your article states facts! An offensive "Genious" Fisher is NOT! That Fisher knew nothing about or has never ran a spread type offense! Also 3 years ago, Shotty was the guy running the system. We learned real fast that this was a over complicated train wreck! Shotty's system was just too hard to learn! :gaah:

So fast forward 3 years........ here we are with basically the same coach trying to do the same thing but now with a rookie qb. So what did we learn from the prior disaster? Anything?? Will Fisher dump the same complicated system on the rookie and start him on day 1? :L I sure as hell hope not! Or will Fisher simplify the system and sit the kid a while so that he can become more comfortable?

Before you go ballistic on me, I don't think I am being negative in this post, a lot of this is facts from your article, that in a way baffle me. In order to give the kid a fighting chance, I just hope that our coaches give the rookie a more simpler system to learn. I just want the kid to feel comfortable with his new offense over all. :2cents:

Ok now you can let loose!
When Fisher tried this last, the plan was to try and throw the ball all over the place.

I think the lesson learned was the 2013 Rams were not built or prepared properly to run the spread and even though they wont be running the spread this coming year, they will be prepared to do so when the game situation calls for it by hiring Mike Groh to implement the spread systems when teams line up to stop the run.

Also I do think our personnel now is a better fit. No. 8 hadn't run the spread in 4 years, Tavon was a rookie, Shotzie didn't know what he was doing and complicated things up as well and the OLine was patch work.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

zeke2829

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Fisher tried this last, the plan was to try and throw the ball all over the place.

I think the lesson learned was the 2013 Rams were not built or prepared properly to run the spread and even though they wont running the spread this coming year, they will be prepared to do so when the game situation calls for it by hiring Mike Groh to implement the spread systems when teams line up to stop the run.

Also I do think our personnel is a better fit. No. 8 hadn't run the spread in 4 years, Tavon was a rookie, Shotzie didn't know what he was doing and complicated things up as well and the OLine was patch work.

:hope: Who knows maybe Goff will come in week 1 and tear it up! I sure as hell hope so. I agree our personnel is a little more experienced. I've got my fingers crossed!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:hope: Who knows maybe Goff will come in week 1 and tear it up! I sure as hell hope so. I agree our personnel is a little more experienced. I've got my fingers crossed!
Like I said earlier, I hope we don't start Goff until Week 5 vs the Bills.

This scenario gives Goff....
  • More time before he takes the field as the Rams starter.
  • Provides his first start at home vs a team traveling coast to coast.
  • Lets the Rams play the early schedule of NFC West games with a veteran QB (Case).
  • Allows Goff to only start 2 Weeks of true road games (Wk 6 @DET & WK 10 @NYJ) in his first 7 Weeks of NFL Football as the Rams starter.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what if Case plays well, and we are winning? You can't make a change than can you? Then we do something dumb like sign him to a 2-3 year big money extension and Goff sits?
But seriously, if Goff is good enough to be drafted number 1 overall (and that was very questionable) then he "supposedly" is a franchise QB and should be starting day one! I say roll the dice, we have tried to many other options and QB's, damn the torpedoes, let's go for it!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what if Case plays well, and we are winning? You can't make a change than can you? Then we do something dumb like sign him to a 2-3 year big money extension and Goff sits?
But seriously, if Goff is good enough to be drafted number 1 overall (and that was very questionable) then he "supposedly" is a franchise QB and should be starting day one! I say roll the dice, we have tried to many other options and QB's, damn the torpedoes, let's go for it!
We probably will be favored when we face the 49ers Week 1 in Levi Stadium (We are now) but I just can't jump on board with starting the rookie on the road vs a divisional rival. Too boot, we really don't have much history with Chip coming on board this season and Jared will have a lot of eyes on him (Friends and Family, as Cal too is in the bay area)

Why put that kind of pressure on him Week 1? I thought you were the guy saying that rookie QB's should hold a clipboard their first year anyway?

Even if Goff is ready Week 1, let Case face the 49ers, Seahawks, Bucs & Cardinals, then start Goff.

Who cares if Case goes 4-0 (I don't expect even if he does, his performances in those 4 starts to be overwhelmingly impressive) so start Goff anyway! It's the best time of the schedule to bring the rookie Goff in.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think (or I should say hope) it all depends on how Robinson progresses at LT. If he's still a liability, you can't put him back there to get crushed. It's one thing to take a lot of hits at the collegiate level, but it's another once he's in the pro's.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Frohnapfel fella is Mannion-like. 6'6 230lbs and has an arm. That also describes quite a few QB's. I suppose drama boy is hoping to find another Kurt Warner. If he wants to get bigger, why did the Rams mortgage their future for a shorter, thinner version? Another example of just schizoid reasoning by Snisher.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just making sure to have enough bodies in camp is how I see it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just making sure to have enough bodies in camp is how I see it.

Yep, I'm sure they want 4 QBs at camp, and Foles is a "mutual" no-show. Frohnapfel was considered a borderline chance to be drafted, but I agree that he's a poor man's Mannion, for whatever that's worth. Was stuck behind Cato at Marshall, transferred to UMass for the past two years. Good 1st season (all-MAC first team), mediocre 2nd season (16 TD, 13 INT) at best.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anybody can turn around a trashed career, it is Bruce Arians (BA) of the Cardinals whose specialty is QBs. If the rumors are true, Foles could end up here in Phoenix. Of course, BA would rip-off the Rams because Snisher is just too stupid and the move would be ridiculous because BA will transform Foles into a pretty darn QB just like BA did with Carson Palmer. Foles would then make it his mission to make the Rams pay twice a year especially if Fisher is still the coach.

Could Nick Foles end up with Arizona Cardinals?