• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raiders and Chargers propose Shared Stadium Plan in Carson

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand it is all about leverage to get deals done in their current cities. On the other hand it's clear that at least one team will finally be in LA soon, and with 3 teams interested and 2 teams max able to go, it's clear that there is some panic setting in. If Oakland or San Diego no longer have the LA threat, how on earth will they every get a new stadium in their current cities?

The major issue in California is that voters have to approve any tax increases to pay for projects like this with 2/3 of the vote - very difficult even for a popular ballot measure. Both the Raiders and Chargers claim that they cannot build a stadium in their current cities without taxpayer funding. So the only guaranteed way to do it in California is to partner up and avoid public money. I'll be interested to see how Kroenke reacts to this news - since there definitely will not be 3 teams in LA.

Hopefully this will have the desired affect on the city of San Diego and they'll give it the proper focus. If not, I can kind of understand the Chargers leaving, but likely would be much less interested when they leave. For me it's more about pride in my city, not the team. Hey at least the Padres are coming back from the dead!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't like this idea. The Raiders belong in Oakland. I think this is all about leverage to get the deals done in the current cities. I think that the Raiders are more likely to get a deal than the Chargers. But I could be wrong.

Ironic they can come up with private financing for a venue in LA but not in OAK or SD.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes no sense to have two division foes sharing a stadium.
My understanding is the Raiders have already offered to move to the NFC, which could put Seattle back in the AFC West. I'm not sure the NFL would be too excited about those moves. That will definitely be an argument in favor of the Rams.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic they can come up with private financing for a venue in LA but not in OAK or SD.
Makes sense since there are two teams. They can also sell PSLs in LA that likely wouldn't fly in SD or Oakland.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On one hand it is all about leverage to get deals done in their current cities. On the other hand it's clear that at least one team will finally be in LA soon, and with 3 teams interested and 2 teams max able to go, it's clear that there is some panic setting in. If Oakland or San Diego no longer have the LA threat, how on earth will they every get a new stadium in their current cities?

The major issue in California is that voters have to approve any tax increases to pay for projects like this with 2/3 of the vote - very difficult even for a popular ballot measure. Both the Raiders and Chargers claim that they cannot build a stadium in their current cities without taxpayer funding. So the only guaranteed way to do it in California is to partner up and avoid public money. I'll be interested to see how Kroenke reacts to this news - since there definitely will not be 3 teams in LA.

Hopefully this will have the desired affect on the city of San Diego and they'll give it the proper focus. If not, I can kind of understand the Chargers leaving, but likely would be much less interested when they leave. For me it's more about pride in my city, not the team. Hey at least the Padres are coming back from the dead!

BS...I can see a mix public/private funding passing in SD for certain...ATL's new stadium has a public component (roughly 30%) and local tax payers are not funding it...the travel tax is. There's enough tourist traffic in SD to do the same thing...OAK...probably not.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have to move one to the NFC no matter what if this happened. I'm pretty sure San Diego would be the one to go to the NFC and either Seattle comes back to the AFC West or St. Louis decides to join us (which honestly would make me laugh a bit that the AFC West would only have one team that actually was West of the Rockies yet call themselves the West).
As far as geographic location and maintaining current rivalries go, the Rams definitely make the most sense, but the NFL is driven by money, not rivalries or fan loyalty.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS...I can see a mix public/private funding passing in SD for certain...ATL's new stadium has a public component (roughly 30%) and local tax payers are not funding it...the travel tax is. There's enough tourist traffic in SD to do the same thing...OAK...probably not.
That's why I put "claim" in bold italics. There's resistance to additional tourist taxes as they are already high. A better solution is one that the Chargers support. The city is trying to get approval to expand the convention center and the latest proposal was shot down in court. The Chargers support a plan of combining the stadium as part of a convention center expansion which could reduce the bill to get both projects done significantly. With this latest news and their failures on the convention center perhaps the city will get on board with that plan.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why I put "claim" in bold italics. There's resistance to additional tourist taxes as they are already high. A better solution is one that the Chargers support. The city is trying to get approval to expand the convention center and the latest proposal was shot down in court. The Chargers support a plan of combining the stadium as part of a convention center expansion which could reduce the bill to get both projects done significantly. With this latest news and their failures on the convention center perhaps the city will get on board with that plan.

Yeah...I noted that on the claim.

Then re-direct where these taxes go for a period, but only if the owner is willing to carry the lionshare.

Convention business...yeah, at least here, that all ties into the travel tax...hotel, vehicle rentals, etc.

No way Blank would've gotten the votes to build a new stadium here without stroking some large checks himself...the GA Dome is barely 20 yrs old, but he wanted a new venue so he's bucking up for $800 mil plus cost overruns and he won't even own it outright...The way the deal was structured, he will get a handsome share on concessions, parking, and rental income from ALL events...plus the SB again. He'll make his cash back fairly quickly if the projected events actually come here over the next decade.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'd imagine this makes the Raiders/Chargers the front runners. Surely LA would rather have 2 teams than 1.

Yet they haven't been able to support 1 team..so why not put 2 there? BRILLIANT!!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PSLs...supposedly priced considerably below NY, and DAL, but they're struggling here...it will likely pick up once the stadium gets a little closer to fruition...construction just started recently.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet they haven't been able to support 1 team..so why not put 2 there? BRILLIANT!!
Yeah...but it's not really about the gate...if so JAX and TB would've closed up shop a while ago.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure SD deserves a team.
Move um to LA and let's be done with it
Real insightful, thanks.

The city has supported them for over 50 years. This is a football city. I don't fault anyone for not wanting to spend 500 bucks to take their family to a game in an absolutely terrible stadium. Most season ticket holders that don't renew sight the stadium, not the team. A new stadium will sellout every game. Hell they sold out every game this past season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jax was 21st in the league in home attendance and Tampa was 29.

I think you'll be surprised at some of the rankings in this link.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/attendance

A little...MIN is playing in a college stadium right now I think...PIT is about right...Heinz Field has less than 70k seats...trying to get more added.

JAX...the trick there is they cover a large amount of their seat with a tarp...changing the seating capacity from 80k+ to maybe 65k.

But TV sets is why LA is still a coveted market.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure SD deserves a team.
Move um to LA and let's be done with it

Qualcomm is a dump. Cant blame fans for not wanting to spend a bunch of cash to go there.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little...MIN is playing in a college stadium right now I think...PIT is about right...Heinz Field has less than 70k seats...trying to get more added.

JAX...the trick there is they cover a large amount of their seat with a tarp...changing the seating capacity from 80k+ to maybe 65k.

But TV sets is why LA is still a coveted market.

You mentioned Pitt which was one that I was surprised at. NE at 17 also.

The league sends Jax to London to play. :L

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I can't see the NFL breaking up the Seahawks/9ers rivalry so it would have to be the Rams or Cards to the AFC West.

--In the wake of the shocking announcement from the Raiders and Chargers that the teams currently are pursuing a joint stadium plan in Carson, California, some additional information is trickling out.

Per the same league source who told PFT in October that the NFL intends to return to L.A. within 12-24 months, a shared stadium by the Chargers and Raiders means that one of the teams likely would move to the NFC.

The current thinking is that the Raiders would be the most likely of the two to leave for the NFC West. The question then becomes which of the NFC West teams would move to the AFC West.

The Seahawks belonged to the AFC West from 1977 through 2001, but the early rumor/expectation is that the Rams or Cardinals would change conferences, with the Seahawks and 49ers staying put.

Of course, this all hinges on the Chargers-Raiders alliance securing the ability to move to Carson over the Rams, who apparently want to move to Inglewood.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I can't see the NFL breaking up the Seahawks/9ers rivalry so it would have to be the Rams or Cards to the AFC West.

--In the wake of the shocking announcement from the Raiders and Chargers that the teams currently are pursuing a joint stadium plan in Carson, California, some additional information is trickling out.

Per the same league source who told PFT in October that the NFL intends to return to L.A. within 12-24 months, a shared stadium by the Chargers and Raiders means that one of the teams likely would move to the NFC.

The current thinking is that the Raiders would be the most likely of the two to leave for the NFC West. The question then becomes which of the NFC West teams would move to the AFC West.

The Seahawks belonged to the AFC West from 1977 through 2001, but the early rumor/expectation is that the Rams or Cardinals would change conferences, with the Seahawks and 49ers staying put.

Of course, this all hinges on the Chargers-Raiders alliance securing the ability to move to Carson over the Rams, who apparently want to move to Inglewood.

The Raiders moving to the NFC is analogous to the Old NFL Colts moving to the AFC back in the day. AFL rivalries would be broken up, that is a no-no in my book as the current AFCW and East are set up the way they are with AFL rivalries in mind.

To my knowledge, the Rams actually are past the EIR roadblock for the Inglewood plan while the Carson plan has not. Rams are a step ahead of the Raiders and Chargers; and I think Davis and Spanos know it- hence this desperate looking move. I would bet heavily on the Rams moving to LA before the Raiders and Chargers share a stadium in Carson.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait ...so you will have 2 coaches in the same stadium, and at the same time say:

"No one, and I mean no one, comes into our house and pushes us around"