• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Raiders and Chargers propose Shared Stadium Plan in Carson

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Real insightful, thanks.

The city has supported them for over 50 years. This is a football city. I don't fault anyone for not wanting to spend 500 bucks to take their family to a game in an absolutely terrible stadium. Most season ticket holders that don't renew sight the stadium, not the team. A new stadium will sellout every game. Hell they sold out every game this past season.
I'm sorry....How long have the Chargers been asking for a new stadium?

Sir, teams have left for that very reason. I don't claim to know the SD area but I've been told 20/25% of the season ticket holders are from LA anyways. The NFL is hot on putting a team back in LA. Why not the Chargers? The Rams or Chargers in LA makes much more sense to me ( not the Raiders...They should remain Oakland and get their own new stadium) than any two teams anywhere together in one stadium...much less driving conference and division changes

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I can't see the NFL breaking up the Seahawks/9ers rivalry so it would have to be the Rams or Cards to the AFC West.

--In the wake of the shocking announcement from the Raiders and Chargers that the teams currently are pursuing a joint stadium plan in Carson, California, some additional information is trickling out.

Per the same league source who told PFT in October that the NFL intends to return to L.A. within 12-24 months, a shared stadium by the Chargers and Raiders means that one of the teams likely would move to the NFC.

The current thinking is that the Raiders would be the most likely of the two to leave for the NFC West. The question then becomes which of the NFC West teams would move to the AFC West.

The Seahawks belonged to the AFC West from 1977 through 2001, but the early rumor/expectation is that the Rams or Cardinals would change conferences, with the Seahawks and 49ers staying put.

Of course, this all hinges on the Chargers-Raiders alliance securing the ability to move to Carson over the Rams, who apparently want to move to Inglewood.

Seahawks/49ers rivalry? Not sure I would say that is some classic rivalry at this time. They have had a good 2-3 year run here but beyond that really not much to speak of. Now the idea of moving the Raiders to the NFC West to me is what sounds ridiculous when you have years upon years of hated rivalry between the Broncos/Raiders and Chiefs/Raiders. Those go way back and that to me would be the more difficult idea of who is moving. Throw in Seattle has been a part of the AFC West before so it wouldn't be that big of a deal in my book to move them back.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the idea of moving the Raiders to the NFC West to me is what sounds ridiculous
That would be like moving the Redskins to the AFC. Chargers are the odd man out in the AFC West.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Charger players are likely thinking:

"A team that we've beaten 19 of the last 23 games is moving out of the division? WTF Dean?"

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic they can come up with private financing for a venue in LA but not in OAK or SD.

There is a reason Oakland has one of the oldest, most outdated stadiums, basically Oakland is the red headed stepchild of the Bay Area, and its sad to say, but the Raiders are the red headed stepchild of the NFL.

It didn't have to be that way, but we couldn't get the keys away from Grandpa soon enough. The Raiders thrived than suffered through the reign of Al Davis.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, division rivals shouldn't share a stadium.

I agree, it is kind of weird, and scary considering the well known level of animosity between the 2 teams fans.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it is kind of weird, and scary considering the well known level of animosity between the 2 teams fans.

This whole thing is sacrilegious when it comes to old AFL rivalries goes back to the 60's. Would be annoyed, as a fan, if the NFL realigned the divisions over two teams sharing a stadium.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What Charger players are likely thinking:

"A team that we've beaten 19 of the last 23 games is moving out of the division? WTF Dean?"

Got to admit that would be one hell of a kick to the gut to get moved out of the AFCW, no matter which team it happened to, but our luck in Ol Jack Murphy hasn't been the same since a really bad day in January 2002,

I say good riddance.

flaraider

The Real Deal
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole thing is sacrilegious when it comes to old AFL rivalries goes back to the 60's. Would be annoyed, as a fan, if the NFL realigned the divisions over two teams sharing a stadium.

Yeah man, it would be a trip if they both move to the same stadium in any case, much less realign over it.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL comes out with a win,win,win. Two teams that need new stadiums Oakland and San diego get a new stadium in LA. NFL now has two teams in LA.

Kroenke gets a new stadium in STL.

Rams will move to the AFC West. Creates in state Rams vs Chiefs Rivalry and makes travel sense.

Chargers switch to the NFC West Makes sense being close to the NFC West teams.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't even believe people even have the idea to move the Raiders to the NFC. Did people forget the work Al Davis did to merge the AFL with the NFL? It will be a disgrace to the history of this league. Al Davis will come back from the dead, like he done before, to kill his son for even thinking of that bullshit.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a strange twist both the San Diego Charges and Oakland Raiders are looking at a deal that with the use of private funding will build a new stadium in Carson City, Ca for both teams to use and share. This would be pretty huge since there are two other groups trying to build one in Los Angeles and the other out there in Industrial City. This could get interesting to watch

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry - I didn't see the other thread already started - so this one should be moved

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA will watch anything, there are a bunch of clients to buy seats for, pony up!