• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Quinn gone

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All reports are the Bears free up 18 mil in cap for next season which tells me they don't get hit with the dead cap money.

The Bears have something like 132 million for the 2023 offseason. Some of that would will obviously stay with players on the current roster as you have guys due a pay day.
The dead cap money is the money they restructured, so they are always on the hook for that, because it is money that should have been paid to him by now. There is also the restructuring bonus that the player is paid for accepting the deal to move the money. His number is 1.3 million just for the fee.

We have Mack on this year for 24 million dollars for the same reason, restructure.

Really dont care about space, want Monty to get taken care of, but you cant use up that cap when your quarterback is gonna cost 40-50 million in a couple years. Just want them to continue to draft well and build, not buy a playoff team.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The dead cap money is the money they restructured, so they are always on the hook for that, because it is money that should have been paid to him by now. There is also the restructuring bonus that the player is paid for accepting the deal to move the money. His number is 1.3 million just for the fee.

We have Mack on this year for 24 million dollars for the same reason, restructure.

Really dont care about space, want Monty to get taken care of, but you cant use up that cap when your quarterback is gonna cost 40-50 million in a couple years. Just want them to continue to draft well and build, not buy a playoff team.
Well, there going to have to fill some holes and retain at least, maybe, 2 high dollar players (Though Ebner & Herbert are solid). And if you do not re sign them, you STILL have to find and pay someone as there are not enough draft picks to, or generally, immediate starting quality draft picks, in this next draft to fill all the holes. There are multiple starters that are F/A next year, something like 9 on both sides of the ball currently. Both LB's, RB, OL, 2 DL, 3 Wr's (not sure who's starting as it varies), long snapper... Besides needing more OL help, at least a Center and possibly a RT to develop though Borom (by the numbers) hasn't been bad (Something like 2 sacks only, 5 hits, they were talking about it on the score yesterday). Seems like Borom has allowed more. The OLinman that has allowed 0 sacks so far, Jenkins, fyi.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I assume they take his salary completely off our books, yes? I agree with Jiddy, I would have liked to see us get a 3rd out of it, but if his salary is completely cleared, that's pretty important, as our cap space should go up that much higher.
Yeah, exactly. I wanted a 3rd, but expected that a 4th was most likely. He is 32, with 2.5 years left on a 5 year/70 million dollar contract.

Would have, perhaps, helped if he got off to a start that resembled his 2021 campaign.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why on Earth do you want a back end RB to be "taken care of"?

Why on Earth would the worst passer starting NFL football games be worth 40-50 mil in a couple of years?

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why on Earth do you want a back end RB to be "taken care of"?

Why on Earth would the worst passer starting NFL football games be worth 40-50 mil in a couple of years?
first off, I am a fan of angry runs, and Monty makes that elite list, won it once, would have won it with last weeks run if a center did not pick up Derrick Henry and carry him for 10 yards in a scrum. He is better than Matt Forte was in the pass game and I am not talking about a highest paid back in the NFL contract, just fair market and letting the guy feel appreciated. Teams need players, but every thing needs a heart, and Monty is the heart. If Justin Fields ever learns to be Jay Cutler and dump the ball off to the back he will see the worth in Monty.

As far as 40-50 million, sorry to break your bubble, but that is the going rate since a starter is considered a "franchise" quarterback. Nobody is worth it, but they get it.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, there going to have to fill some holes and retain at least, maybe, 2 high dollar players (Though Ebner & Herbert are solid). And if you do not re sign them, you STILL have to find and pay someone as there are not enough draft picks to, or generally, immediate starting quality draft picks, in this next draft to fill all the holes. There are multiple starters that are F/A next year, something like 9 on both sides of the ball currently. Both LB's, RB, OL, 2 DL, 3 Wr's (not sure who's starting as it varies), long snapper... Besides needing more OL help, at least a Center and possibly a RT to develop though Borom (by the numbers) hasn't been bad (Something like 2 sacks only, 5 hits, they were talking about it on the score yesterday). Seems like Borom has allowed more. The OLinman that has allowed 0 sacks so far, Jenkins, fyi.
I get it, but you paid Riley Reif 3 million dollars, apparently to be an extra lineman and player coach. So 10 more of those guys have to take the place of development or have a bench that might be better than the starters. I guess I just see posts that we have 110 million to spend, the NFL rules say we need to spend 92% of it, I just am not seeing where you add 4 25 million dollar players. Maybe paying Roquan is an answer, but the problem is his mindset, the "issues" of the past and no team is going to want to guarantee a big portion of the deal because of it. I guess you are making me understand that paying him makes sense with the cap.

Herbert is solid if we get a line communicating where he is not responsible for picking up blitzers. You might have noticed they ran alot of 3 TE sets on Monday, so using herbert in the right way is good, but having Monty is also good. So if I can cave on Roquan getting 20, maybe some can cave on getting Monty 6 or 7 since we have to spend it anyway.

We just need answers. Can Kmet be that Kelce guy if he never gets the ball? We needed a number 1 receiver this year and went out and got retreads. You just get to the point Pace got into of buying more, redoing contracts, building dead cap, not having space or players. We learn Jenkins is that guy so for now we dont need a 9 million dollar replacement. I think these guys see that since we are not playing Reiff yet and the dead cap helped them do that this year. When that goes away, they have to spend money.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Kmet be that Kelce guy if he never gets the ball?

You can throw the ball to Kmet 35 times a game......he was never going to be Travis Kelce.

There's Travis Kelce.....and then theres some other good tight ends....and then theres a bunch of average ones....and then there's Cole Kmet.

I have no idea why Bears fans continue to think the guy is something he's not. He's a good blocker and okay pass catcher. He isn't a good route runner and isn't great catching passes downfield. He can't exploit defenses...he's a take what you give me type that gets decent YAC at times. That's it. That's who he is.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is interesting:

This article helps fill in some questions as to the details of the trade and it's implications for both teams beyond this year. While it's still a good deal for Philly, who for obvious reasons are going all out to bring home the trophy, it makes the trade by Poles ever more so in the Bears favor, at least as far as the offseason goes. The ONLY downside on our end is paying most of Quinn's remaining salary for this season, but just this season, which we would have had to do anyway had he still remained a Bear. And that's it as far as our obligations are concerned. Then he's off the books completely. In return, we get a 4th round pick in the next draft and a bunch of additional cap space for '23. Again, Philly benefits by getting a solid veteran, even if he is now a rental, who can help with their pass rush, and it's costing them very little in $$$. But I love how this ended up turning out for our boyz.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is interesting:

This article helps fill in some questions as to the details of the trade and it's implications for both teams beyond this year. While it's still a good deal for Philly, who for obvious reasons are going all out to bring home the trophy, it makes the trade by Poles ever more so in the Bears favor, at least as far as the offseason goes. The ONLY downside on our end is paying most of Quinn's remaining salary for this season, but just this season, which we would have had to do anyway had he still remained a Bear. And that's it as far as our obligations are concerned. Then he's off the books completely. In return, we get a 4th round pick in the next draft and a bunch of additional cap space for '23. Again, Philly benefits by getting a solid veteran, even if he is now a rental, who can help with their pass rush, and it's costing them very little in $$$. But I love how this ended up turning out for our boyz.
dont know why everybody keep saying we are not paying Quinn next year.

When a contract is restructured, it stays with the team because it was money owed to him over the first three years. That is why we paid Mack 24 million this year to play for the Chargers. Trading him was no different money wise than letting him play here. We are paying 24 million this year and 24 million next year. Yet, its a great move by poles. Does not matter if he is not producing as much in LA, whoever replaced him is not producing much either.

So completely off the books, no. We will still be paying Trevathan next year for christs sake.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont know why everybody keep saying we are not paying Quinn next year.

When a contract is restructured, it stays with the team because it was money owed to him over the first three years. That is why we paid Mack 24 million this year to play for the Chargers. Trading him was no different money wise than letting him play here. We are paying 24 million this year and 24 million next year. Yet, its a great move by poles. Does not matter if he is not producing as much in LA, whoever replaced him is not producing much either.

So completely off the books, no. We will still be paying Trevathan next year for christs sake.
Eagles and Quinn both agreed to void his remaining contract after this season. He will be UFA going into 2023.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eagles and Quinn both agreed to void his remaining contract after this season. He will be UFA going into 2023.
this has nothing to do with us paying him on the dead cap. If he is out of football he is still getting over 8 million dollars from us since he should have gotten that money already before it got restructured. The dead cap was the signing bonus, you know, the 30 million dollars they gave him to sign his name that was spread out over the deal, there is 6.2 million left next year plus the fee to restructure his contract before last year of 2.275 million. Those are what the bears agreed to and still have to pay him. He basically signed a 3 year 45 million dollar contract since 2023 and 2024 were not guaranteed.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares? They got a 4th and moved and aging vet to a team where he has a chance to make a run. It was a good move. I’ll take the 8 mil on the cap next season versus what he would have been paid and I’ll gladly take the 4th round pick….which I believe puts us at 9 total picks.

The length people are going to try to make this move a negative is absurd.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who cares? They got a 4th and moved and aging vet to a team where he has a chance to make a run. It was a good move. I’ll take the 8 mil on the cap next season versus what he would have been paid and I’ll gladly take the 4th round pick….which I believe puts us at 9 total picks.

The length people are going to try to make this move a negative is absurd.
some of us just insist trying to bring information into the forum with things like facts, instead of putting their foot down and being a pouting know it all so they are not challenged.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
some of us just insist trying to bring information into the forum with things like facts

Roughly 90% of what you type is incoherent gibberish. So the one time you were right about something you decided to repeat it 10 times. Cool.

instead of putting their foot down and being a pouting know it all so they are not challenged.

Not sure who you're referring to but it's obviously not me. I'm not a know it all.....I'm wrong a lot. Like everyone here. And you're free to challenge whenever you want....when has anyone ever tried to stop you? More fucking word salad gibberish.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this has nothing to do with us paying him on the dead cap. If he is out of football he is still getting over 8 million dollars from us since he should have gotten that money already before it got restructured. The dead cap was the signing bonus, you know, the 30 million dollars they gave him to sign his name that was spread out over the deal, there is 6.2 million left next year plus the fee to restructure his contract before last year of 2.275 million. Those are what the bears agreed to and still have to pay him. He basically signed a 3 year 45 million dollar contract since 2023 and 2024 were not guaranteed.

Are you implying that we're not having cap savings from trading Quinn? He was set to make 14 million next year iirc. The savings are inherent there. If we cut him in the offseason wouldn't we be in the same boat cap-wise but without a 4th rounder?

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you implying that we're not having cap savings from trading Quinn? He was set to make 14 million next year iirc. The savings are inherent there. If we cut him in the offseason wouldn't we be in the same boat cap-wise but without a 4th rounder?
no, just seems like everyone is implying, because Quinn voided his contract with the eggles that we dont have to pay him anything anymore.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to give an update to the Quinn trade for a 4th rounder to Philly in which some Bears fan thought we "lost" this big time:

Still a lot of season left for the Eagles plus the playoffs for Quinn to turn it around, but so far one could argue that we're winning the trade.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wanted to give an update to the Quinn trade for a 4th rounder to Philly in which some Bears fan thought we "lost" this big time:

Still a lot of season left for the Eagles plus the playoffs for Quinn to turn it around, but so far one could argue that we're winning the trade.

We won either direction of how Quinns played out.....Dropped salary and gained a draft pick for a team that was not going anywheres anyways.....