• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question to Seahawk fans

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extremely grim is an overstatement.
Moves will have to be made this year to get under, but the Seahawks will be able to keep most of or all of their elite players with some creative cap management.
See my breakdown of the 2014 scenerio on the Hawks board for specific details.

It is not an overstatement at all. It will be extremely difficult to fit Thomas, Sherman and Wilson into the cap.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not an overstatement at all. It will be extremely difficult to fit Thomas, Sherman and Wilson into the cap.

They will need to be creative with the distribution of these contracts with exactly when the bonuses are paid out but I have no doubt that those 3 will get contracts here.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If and WHEN that happens, (not next year) we would probably lose Sherman.

It would be a tough loss, but it is the nature of the beast. The team won't collapse soley based on that. The Seahawks can still be more than competative with or without any single player and additional depth can be found at CB.

Let's worry about that eventuality when it arrives. It still might be possible to keep everyone via creative accounting.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If and WHEN that happens, (not next year) we would probably lose Sherman.

It would be a tough loss, but it is the nature of the beast. The team won't collapse soley based on that. The Seahawks can still be more than competative with or without any single player and additional depth can be found at CB.

Let's worry about that eventuality when it arrives. It still might be possible to keep everyone via creative accounting.

See my post on your thread.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will need to be creative with the distribution of these contracts with exactly when the bonuses are paid out but I have no doubt that those 3 will get contracts here.

Sherman believes he is better than Revis and rightfully so. Therefore using that logic he will want to be paid higher than Revis. Darrelle Revis received a 6 year $96m contract from the Buccs which is $16m per season. As much as I would love to believe every Seahawk player would take a huge discount to stay in Seattle I don't see it happening. If the Seahawks want to retain Sherman that is how much it will cost annually at least. I think Sherman may take a 5 year contract but I have to imagine he will want to be paid more annually than Revis, even if it just by 1 dollar. If the Seahawks don't give it to him someone will. He is as good as Revis in coverage but much better at creating turnovers.

I wish the NFL did not have a cap. When you're talking about this much money it is really difficult to get creative with the contracts and there is a strong possibility one of them walks. I think that retaining Wilson, Sherman and Thomas is paramount to the Seahawks but it may come at a big cost to other spots on the roster. I would personally let most of the roster walk for those 3 guys. Thomas and Sherman are both the best at their given position and Wilson is the key to this team's success. It will cost a large portion of the team's salary cap and may come at the expense of quite a few guys on the roster but I think that those guys have to be retained.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sherman believes he is better than Revis and rightfully so. Therefore using that logic he will want to be paid higher than Revis. Darrelle Revis received a 6 year $96m contract from the Buccs which is $16m per season. As much as I would love to believe every Seahawk player would take a huge discount to stay in Seattle I don't see it happening. If the Seahawks want to retain Sherman that is how much it will cost annually at least. I think Sherman may take a 5 year contract but I have to imagine he will want to be paid more annually than Revis, even if it just by 1 dollar. If the Seahawks don't give it to him someone will. He is as good as Revis in coverage but much better at creating turnovers.

I wish the NFL did not have a cap. When you're talking about this much money it is really difficult to get creative with the contracts and there is a strong possibility one of them walks. I think that retaining Wilson, Sherman and Thomas is paramount to the Seahawks but it may come at a big cost to other spots on the roster. I would personally let most of the roster walk for those 3 guys. Thomas and Sherman are both the best at their given position and Wilson is the key to this team's success. It will cost a large portion of the team's salary cap and may come at the expense of quite a few guys on the roster but I think that those guys have to be retained.

He will want to be paid as the top corner in the game, but that doesn't mean that he necessarily needs to beat Revis's contract. Revis's contract is very simple, it's 13 mil a year, every year for 6 years with 3 mil in potential bonuses every year. Revis's signing bonus was essentially his 13 mil-2013 guaranteed contract. It was a great deal for TB and I hardly doubt that he will be there in a couple years. He's basically a year to year deal like Peyton Manning with no dead money after this year so there is no handcuff or huge future investment by TB.

Up front money is not only important to players, but it's important to teams too as they can prorate how the bonuses affect the cap for up to five years. Now this is where having an owner with deep pockets can come in useful even with the cap. The Seahawks can give Sherm something like 5 years-70 mil with a 35 mil signing bonus. Now that 35 mil will need to go against the cap sometime over the next five years but he's happy because he's now filthy rich and the Hawks are happy because they're paying 14 mil a year as opposed to 18 or so if they were not able to give him the bonus up front.. Sherman doesn't need to beat "6 years-96 mil" to make more money than Revis, just ask Tom Brady...... A huge amount upfront and job security can be worth a lot more than what Revis got.

That's why I think these guys stay, because the Hawks will give them large bonuses and be able to design a 5-7 year cap situation. Safety is the cheaper of the three positions so I could see Thomas get a nice "traditional" type contract without the monster bonus, but the other two will get a fat check.

Ksfnslayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have been an avid Seahawks fan since the early eighties but I don't know as winning has really dominated how well I have enjoyed them over the years. The Largent years were exciting even though they were mostly scrapy as a team. So for me winning isn't everything just as long as there are few players I really like watching.

Tacoma_canuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You know what, as good as Sherman is right now, I don't see giving him some mega-deal. Now, let's see how this season plays out. We all want our SB at this point in time. Not sure if we will get it but it's what the team and it's fans want and this is our best chance to accomplish that. If that happens, Russell Wilson will be the guy to get the big deal. Okung, of course is important but honestly, defensively, CB's can and usually are replaced on most teams and none have been the key piece on a championship team, to my knowledge. Sherman is a great cover corner but almost every CB that signs a big FA contract seems to disappoint or gets hurt or something. Guys like Deion being the exception. You don't need to find a late round diamond to replace him, you can refit the defense and the other guys can develop. The other guys back there are pretty good too.

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think letting Sherman walk would be a mistake, I believe a lot of the defensive success the Seahawks have had is due to his leadership and competitiveness.

Am hoping we can make a deal where everyone is happy.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think letting Sherman walk would be a mistake, I believe a lot of the defensive success the Seahawks have had is due to his leadership and competitiveness.

Am hoping we can make a deal where everyone is happy.

Just remember the year after, the Seahawks have to pay Wilson and Harvin has a cap hit of 12,970,000 with 9,700,000 of dead money if cut in 2015. Just how much of the cap do you want to tie up among three players?

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myself? At this point I would let Harvin rip it up in the playoffs, see if we can foist him onto another team and not lose too much money.

I value Sherman well above Harvin as far as what he brings to this team.

We've been doing good without Harvin, i fail to see how gambling at this point makes sense. IOW, if it ain't broke......

That, is just one noobs opinion.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Myself? At this point I would let Harvin rip it up in the playoffs, see if we can foist him onto another team and not lose too much money.

I value Sherman well above Harvin as far as what he brings to this team.

We've been doing good without Harvin, i fail to see how gambling at this point makes sense. IOW, if it ain't broke......

That, is just one noobs opinion.

Mmmm..... hoping to trade Harvin is a pipe dream.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also trading Harvin does not get the Seahawks off the hook for his pro rated signing bonus. We have to cross our fingers and hope Harvin pays off next year. The Seahawks after this year still owe Harvin 9,600,000 in signing bonuses, trading or cutting him will just make the cap worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams can keep 2 maybe 3 top dollar players and still be able to handle the Cap. The Seahawks will definitely have some tough decisions of who those players are that are worth keeping for top dollar.

If it were me I would be looking at Wilson and Thomas as the two guys who cannot be lost. Thomas in my opinion is who allows all the rest of the secondary to be aggressive as they know he will be where he is supposed to be to help out. Sherman is a tough one but in today's NFL you need 3 quality corners with how teams try to spread teams out and putting all your eggs into one basket just isn't usually recommended. If I were the Seahawks I would rather see that $16-18 million contract spread over 3 players instead of just one.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most teams can keep 2 maybe 3 top dollar players and still be able to handle the Cap. The Seahawks will definitely have some tough decisions of who those players are that are worth keeping for top dollar.

If it were me I would be looking at Wilson and Thomas as the two guys who cannot be lost. Thomas in my opinion is who allows all the rest of the secondary to be aggressive as they know he will be where he is supposed to be to help out. Sherman is a tough one but in today's NFL you need 3 quality corners with how teams try to spread teams out and putting all your eggs into one basket just isn't usually recommended. If I were the Seahawks I would rather see that $16-18 million contract spread over 3 players instead of just one.

I am not even going to worry about it til after this season,but all those people who hate the Hawks will be wanting to pick over many of our guys that's for sure and be grinning if they get them.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not even going to worry about it til after this season,but all those people who hate the Hawks will be wanting to pick over many of our guys that's for sure and be grinning if they get them.

Oh I would love some of the Seattle secondary to come the broncos way! That is the gift and curse of being great is you have enough talent to lose some but it is always hard to watch talented players walk.

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I would love some of the Seattle secondary to come the broncos way! That is the gift and curse of being great is you have enough talent to lose some but it is always hard to watch talented players walk.

Yeah but many of us have faith in what the management has and will do,they were mocked for the picks for two years,some people scratching their heads on what the Hawks were doing,and hey i admit i was surprised as well.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This how I picture a lot of Seahawks fans.
3848532085_chip_on_shoulder_xlarge.jpeg

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hardly,,,that's my younger brother on the far left and my cousin on the far right.

1380622_545290315545016_1739802265_n.jpg