• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for the Old Timers

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only remember the black mother fuckers saying Bias killed himself when he found out the Celtics took him

:eek:

Monty gets weird when he's not getting enough attention. Holy smokes.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, we know Magic was, well, magic, but does that have anything to do with the post you quoted?
:scratch: What?? Look at your comment #12, you were talking about Magic Johnson right?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys end up as stars drafted at nearly every position in the draft . I'd rather have a really good player for sure than a remote shot at drafting a guy who ends up better . Sure you've got a slightly better chance to get an elite talent at 2 than you do at 12 or 22 but if you miss at 2 ( happens all the time ) it sets you back far more as well

Sure, there have been players drafted later who had great careers, but your chances of getting an impact player are much lower after pick 8 or so. I think I saw a chart about this before, but I can't find it right now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys end up as stars drafted at nearly every position in the draft . I'd rather have a really good player for sure than a remote shot at drafting a guy who ends up better . Sure you've got a slightly better chance to get an elite talent at 2 than you do at 12 or 22 but if you miss at 2 ( happens all the time ) it sets you back far more as well

No it doesn't.

As most here will tell you, the absolute worst position to be in is to have a 40-45 win roster with little future upside.

When you are picking at the top of the draft, the odds of drafting a star are not remote. They are actually pretty good. Every spot down the order you go, the odds fall dramatically. Picking outside the lottery you are highly unlikely to draft a star.

And you need stars to win in the NBA. Good players like Robert Covington and Malcom Brogdon are necessary role players on good teams, but you need the stars to contend. And the stars are really hard to find.

Are you really saying that Gerald Henderson was worth a #2 pick? Forget about the actual result in this case for a second. Bias was projected to be a real star.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only remember the black mother fuckers saying Bias killed himself when he found out the Celtics took him

And you wonder why people think you are racist?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch: What?? Look at your comment #12, you were talking about Magic Johnson right?
Yes, I said if the Lakers hadn't had the #1 pick he would have chosen to stay at MSU another year (or two). And then you listed his accomplishments with state and as a rookie with the Lakers.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually he would have been playing for Michigan State another year. He came out because LA had the #1 pick.

Ok - if that happened then the Lakers would have drafted some other mediocre player & things would still be dramatically different.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't.

As most here will tell you, the absolute worst position to be in is to have a 40-45 win roster with little future upside.

List of Washington Wizards seasons - Wikipedia

You are pretty much describing the Wizards - lots of win totals in the 40s in the recent past & they fit your description perfectly (of course their bungling FO moves don't help). Who knows - the Wall injury may ultimately prove to be a blessing in disguise as it forces them to get worse at this time & get some decent picks (which would likely involving suffering for a while).

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just finished watching NBA Finals Game 6 on You Tube. Celtics defeated the Rockets to win their 16th NBA title. Towards the end of the game, one of the announcers mentions that Danny Ainge's development was one of the reasons the Celtics felt they could trade away Gerald Henderson. They ended up getting Seattle's 1st round draft pick, which ended up being the number two pick.

We all know that didn't end up working out for the Celtics, as Len Bias tragically died, but I was wondering how the Celtics were able to get the Sonics' first round pick for Gerald Henderson. Was Gerald Henderson regarded as one of the best players in the league back then? Were the Sonics expected to do much better in the 1985-1986 season? They finished 31-51 in 1984-1985, and they wound up finishing 31-51 again in 1985-1986.

I didn't start following the NBA until the 1986-1987 season, and even then, I was only 7 years old, and I didn't even know who Gerald Henderson was.

That's slightly before my time, but I do know Henderson, and if that was the actual trade, it's one of the worst in NBA history.

Especially considering back then, top draft picks had 3-4 years of college under them and were ready to come in and be All-Stars right away.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you wonder why people think you are racist?
You don't remember that nonsense? The insane hatred for the Celtics because they were a "white" team? I couldn't believe people would be so stupid to believe such a thing about Bias.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it doesn't.

When you are picking at the top of the draft, the odds of drafting a star are not remote. They are actually pretty good. Every spot down the order you go, the odds fall dramatically. Picking outside the lottery you are highly unlikely to draft a star.

And you need stars to win in the NBA. Good players like Robert Covington and Malcom Brogdon are necessary role players on good teams, but you need the stars to contend. And the stars are really hard to find.

Are you really saying that Gerald Henderson was worth a #2 pick? Forget about the actual result in this case for a second. Bias was projected to be a real star.
The odds are ok picking at the top , I wouldn't say they're real good. Go back and look at the top 3 picks the past decade . It's less than 50/50 and you need more than 1 star anyway so most teams don't benefit even by having 1 real stud

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I said if the Lakers hadn't had the #1 pick he would have chosen to stay at MSU another year (or two). And then you listed his accomplishments with state and as a rookie with the Lakers.
Can you blame him? It was a one time chance to go to a championship caliber team rather than a doormat as the #1 pick.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:scratch: Yeah so? You don't like stats?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if I agree that the Gasol trade was that much of a steal since the Grizzlies did get Marc Gasol in return & he thrived on Memphis.

Yeah, it was a steal at the time it happened. But considering the career Marc had in Memphis, it actually ended up being a very good trade for both teams.

Plus, for some reason, Marc usually kicked Pau's ass when they played each other. For some reason, Pau always struggled against his brother.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it was a steal at the time it happened. But considering the career Marc had in Memphis, it actually ended up being a very good trade for both teams.

Plus, for some reason, Marc usually kicked Pau's ass when they played each other. For some reason, Pau always struggled against his brother.

Wrong! (Trump's voice)

The trade was even because of KwaMAY Brown. (Stephen A Smith's yelling voice and how he pronounced his name).

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't remember that nonsense? The insane hatred for the Celtics because they were a "white" team? I couldn't believe people would be so stupid to believe such a thing about Bias.

I do remember racial issues in the city of Boston surrounding the Celtics.

But you really should stop discussing racial issues.