• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for the board

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I agree on substance here, it's just the blanket bullshit of AG I was responding to.

Stanford does have a generally higher standard, but once they offer a kid their true advantage makes it hard as fuck for kids to go to other schools.

Most teams are competing against other schools based off of facilities, staff, how many kids have gone to the NFL from their position group lately, etc. Stanford has some of those elements to at least offer, but also give you a shot at a stanford degree as well.

Does their advantages in offering entirely overcome the smaller pool they offer from? That is likely debatable. I'm not sure how you would go about quantifying either impact in comparison to other P5 programs.
Seems that you and I are pretty much on the same page here :thumb:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you believe that Stanford has the same academic standard as Ohio State or most other schools, then you most have someone reminding you to take a breath. Stanford has gotten 6 5* players since 2011 but according to you they are raking them in hand over fist.
You've literally said nothing that makes sense, nor have you demonstrated an ability to rationally argue my points. Come on, man.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell you plenty of times but you don't listen. USC signs maybe three from out of the state most years . Stanford had only four players in it's last class from California. They are a well known school they are near a big city , they play big boy football in a state with the second or third most college level players but don't get many from Cali. It's not by choice. That's because there aren't that many who can qualify. Offered means they are on track to be able to get accepted . Many need certain scores to get the final approval. USC offers like 130 a season as do many schools. Doesn't mean they would all qualify.
Well schools obviously offer a shitload of kids because they know they won't get them all. I don't think you and I really disagree on much here.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've literally said nothing that makes sense, nor have you demonstrated an ability to rationally argue my points. Come on, man.
What part of 6 five star players in 8 years is too difficult for you to understand?

Or is it that you have to have better grades/test scores to get into Stanford than most other schools that I lose you?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What part of 6 five star players in 8 years is too difficult for you to understand?
The part where you're trying to tie it into our argument. It has nothing to do with anything.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The part where you're trying to tie it into our argument. It has nothing to do with anything.
So the number of actual players they get in have nothing to do with the argument?

So I guess passing yards and QB rating have nothing to do with the how good a QB is, right?

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've eaten duck and steak. Bevo wins by a mile!
I was leaning duck, but I eat way more steak than duck, so it might just be a want it cuz I don’t have it kind of thing.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the number of actual players they get in have nothing to do with the argument?

So I guess passing yards and QB rating have nothing to do with the how good a QB is, right?
Go back and tell me just how many schools have had six 5* commitments in the last 8 years. You're sitting here acting like that number is anemic compared to the college football world.

Obviously they're not pulling in more 5* kids than teams like Alabama and Ohio State. I never compared those two to Stanford. However, that number is more than teams like Oregon, michigan, Miami, Washington, TCU, Oklahoma State, etc. There are tons of teams out there that rarely get 5* kids. Look at your Spartans, for example. All of these teams are competitive, and each of them has had at least a couple top 10 finishes recently. So even with that mountain of academics, they're still bringing in more elite players than several high end programs.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and tell me just how many schools have had six 5* commitments in the last 8 years. You're sitting here acting like that number is anemic compared to the college football world.

Obviously they're not pulling in more 5* kids than teams like Alabama and Ohio State. I never compared those two to Stanford. However, that number is more than teams like Oregon, michigan, Miami, Washington, TCU, Oklahoma State, etc. There are tons of teams out there that rarely get 5* kids. Look at your Spartans, for example. All of these teams are competitive, and each of them has had at least a couple top 10 finishes recently. So even with that mountain of academics, they're still bringing in more elite players than several high end programs.
Auburn
Alabama
Florida
Ohio State
Georgia
Florida State
Clemson
Oklahoma
Texas
USC
Ole Miss
Notre Dame

have all had more than 6 5* players in the last 8 years. So they are barely in the top 15.

And none of those teams you listed are high end teams over the last 8 years.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn
Alabama
Florida
Ohio State
Georgia
Florida State
Clemson
Oklahoma
Texas
USC
Ole Miss
Notre Dame

have all had more than 6 5* players in the last 8 years. So they are barely in the top 15.

And none of those teams you listed are high end teams over the last 8 years.
...so, you're telling me that this proves your point how? Stanford, a prestigious academic university that we're supposed to believe has an impossible task of being able to qualify elite talent, has the 13th most 5* players over the last 8 years - out of 129 FBS schools?? This proves that point in your mind??

Also, in what world are those teams not high end? 3 of them have made the playoff, 2 of them just barely missed out, and the other 2 (Okie State and Miami) have averaged 10 and 8 wins per year, respectively, over the last 8 years.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...so, you're telling me that this proves your point how? Stanford, a prestigious academic university that we're supposed to believe has an impossible task of being able to qualify elite talent, has the 13th most 5* players over the last 8 years - out of 129 FBS schools?? This proves that point in your mind??

Also, in what world are those teams not high end? 3 of them have made the playoff, 2 of them just barely missed out, and the other 2 (Okie State and Miami) have averaged 10 and 8 wins per year, respectively, over the last 8 years.
You realized I named off 20% of the P5 teams, right? 20% have had more 5* recruits than them and they have been consistently better than like half of those teams.

And consistently winning 8 games is not a high end team, barely being bowl eligible isn’t that tough.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realized I named off 20% of the P5 teams, right? 20% have had more 5* recruits than them and they have been consistently better than like half of those teams.

And consistently winning 8 games is not a high end team, barely being bowl eligible isn’t that tough.
Fine, so Miami falls out. Add in Wisconsin, who has been elite over the last 8 years and has gotten exactly 0 kids that ranked as a 5*.

Again, you aren't proving a point. Seriously, I have no idea what you are even trying to get at by saying because 12 teams have more 5* ahead of them, that can only mean Stanford's academic standards make it such an insurmountable task for them to get talent. I've already proven you wrong in so many ways, stop being a fag.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine, so Miami falls out. Add in Wisconsin, who has been elite over the last 8 years and has gotten exactly 0 kids that ranked as a 5*.

Again, you aren't proving a point. Seriously, I have no idea what you are even trying to get at by saying because 12 teams have more 5* ahead of them, that can only mean Stanford's academic standards make it such an insurmountable task for them to get talent. I've already proven you wrong in so many ways, stop being a fag.
I’m showing you it’s not some slam dunk, easy thing for them to just land five stars like you want to pretend it is. But you are to dumb to figure that out.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m showing you it’s not some slam dunk, easy thing for them to just land five stars like you want to pretend it is. But you are to dumb to figure that out.
Show me where I've said anything remotely close to this. There is a midpoint between "raking in elite talent" and "can't get elite talent because of insurmountable academic standards" that you do not seem to grasp.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me where I've said anything remotely close to this. There is a midpoint between "raking in elite talent" and "can't get elite talent because of insurmountable academic standards" that you do not seem to grasp.
Where have I said it was an insurmountable academic standard? I said they have a tougher time recruiting top end talent because they have a higher academic standard than most universities.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where have I said it was an insurmountable academic standard? I said they have a tougher time recruiting top end talent because they have a higher academic standard than most universities.
I've also never once argued that point.

Now again, you said that my point was that "they are raking them in hand over fist." Where did I say anything remotely close to that?

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not forget that the 4-5* athletes themselves also make calculations regarding where they're going to be successful both athletically and academically. Some of these athletes are interested in their sports and going to the NFL or NBA. They don't really care about getting a degree. They've put all their eggs in monetizing their "talents" and will likely leave college as soon as they can. So, they choose schools that make their ultimate goal easier. It's not easy to play football (or basketball) and also perform at a high level academically.

Some are interested in both a degree (and not just in basket weaving) and the chance to play at the next level. Depending on whether or not they think they can realize the benefits of their talents, they choose schools that are academically superior with a different kind of professional goal in mind as well. They see their scholarships as a means to that end, and they "know" they can do the work required at, say, a Michigan, Wisconsin, USC, Stanford or Notre Dame. So, why not get the prestigious degree, too? It's the smart thing to do.

So, athletes make their own calculations just as schools do.