• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Question for the board

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some posters on here are under the false assumption that you need to be an exceptional student in order to be recruited by Stanford football. I'm going to copy & paste a link on here from Stanford's website and please read it before making a reply.

@jjc2009 you seem like one of the more intelligent posters on here. Could you please explain to these posters what this link says and means. Thank you in advance.

@WizardHawk @socaljim242 @trojanfan12 @SUBuddha @Olyduck <--- seeing how you five posters have difficulty with the English language including links from Stanford's own website, I've asked someone else to help explain it to you.

From Stanford's own website:

NCAA Academic Eligibility Requirements | Stanford Undergrad

To be eligible to represent Stanford University in intercollegiate athletics competition, Stanford student-athletes must meet NCAA academic requirements and maintain satisfactory progress towards degrees as detailed below.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE REQUIREMENTS AS A PDF

ALL STUDENTS - AT ALL TIMES*
*Requirements for Coterm Student-Athletes and Baseball/Football/Basketball Student-Athletes Below

• You must be enrolled in at least 12 units at all times – be sure to add classes before you drop
  • Do not withdraw from a class or change the grading option without checking with your AARC advisor first
  • Check with your AARC advisor when planning to repeat a class
  • EACH quarter: you must pass 6 degree-applicable units
  • CUMULATIVELY during the Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters: you must pass 27 degree-applicable units
What are degree-applicable units?

• Frosh & Sophomores: All units are degree-applicable
  • Juniors & Seniors: degree-applicable units are a combination of GER, major, and elective classes. Contact your AARC advisor if you are not registered for at least 6 GER and major units. For other exceptions, please contact your AARC advisor.
REQUIRED PROGRESS BY YEAR
Note: Unit totals outlined below are "degree-applicable" units:

By the START of Sophomore Year you must:

• have a cumulative GPA of 1.8
  • have completed 36 units
By the END of Sophomore Year you must:

• declare a major
By the START of Junior Year you must:

• have a cumulative GPA of 1.9
  • have completed 72 units (40% of your total degree requirements)
By the START of Senior Year you must:

• have a cumulative GPA of 2.0
  • have completed 108 units (60% of your degree requirements)
By the START of a 5th Year you must:

• have completed 144 units (80% of your degree requirements)
COTERMS - REQUIRED PROGRESS BY YEAR
In addition to the standard Sophomore year requirements listed above:

• have completed 33% of your degree requirements

• have completed 50% of your degree requirements
By the START of your Coterm year you must:

• have completed 67% of your degree requirements
SPORT-SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
BASEBALL
Must be eligible in the Fall Quarter in order to be eligible in the Winter and Spring Quarters

FOOTBALL
Must pass 8 degree-applicable units in the Fall Quarter to be eligible for the next season (Fall Quarter of the following year)

MEN & WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
In order to participate in summer practices, must be enrolled in summer courses at Stanford or be on 4-year academic plan (25% of total degree requirements by the start of sophomore year, 50% total degree requirements by the start of junior year, 75% of total degree requirements by the start of senior year)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @being so desperate to be wrong that you created a thread to show off how wrong you are.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word I have usually heard about Stanford is that it is very difficult to get your foot in the door, even if you’re an athlete. Some have said their admissions standards are even more stringent than Notre Dame’s.

That said, I have also heard that once you’re in, you’re mollycoddled, the coursework for jocks isn’t that rigorous.

In reading what you have attached they must take at least 12 credit hours. But you don’t need to carry a 2.0 until your senior year? That suggests mollycoddling to me. I was a D3 athlete and having less than a 2.0 at any time was not permitted.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @being so desperate to be wrong that you created a thread to show off how wrong you are.
How can I be wrong when it states in the English language what the requirements are for a Stanford student athlete recruit on Stanford's own website. It clearly states 'NCAA requirements'. It's in English, not Chinese, not Russian, not Spanish, German, French, etc ... but in fvcking English.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The word I have usually heard about Stanford is that it is very difficult to get your foot in the door, even if you’re an athlete. Some have said their admissions standards are even more stringent than Notre Dame’s.

That said, I have also heard that once you’re in, you’re mollycoddled, the coursework for jocks isn’t that rigorous.

In reading what you have attached they must take at least 12 credit hours. But you don’t need to carry a 2.0 until your senior year? That suggests mollycoddling to me. I was a D3 athlete and having less than a 2.0 at any time was not permitted.
What's it say on the link from Stanford's website jjc? I'm pretty sure it says NCAA academic requirements.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's it say on the link from Stanford's website jjc? I'm pretty sure it says NCAA academic requirements.
Can’t deny that’s what it says, but it doesn’t link to the NCAA. It just brings you back to Stanford’s page.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can I be wrong when it states in the English language what the requirements are for a Stanford student athlete recruit on Stanford's own website. It clearly states 'NCAA requirements'. It's in English, not Chinese, not Russian, not Spanish, German, French, etc ... but in fvcking English.

Because you think Stanfords admission requirements are the same thing as the NCAA's minimum requirements. That's how.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because you think Stanfords admission requirements are the same thing as the NCAA's minimum requirements. That's how.
From Stanford's own fvcking website:

NCAA Academic Eligibility Requirements | Stanford Undergrad

To be eligible to represent Stanford University in intercollegiate athletics competition, Stanford student-athletes must meet NCAA academic requirements and maintain satisfactory progress towards degrees as detailed below.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE REQUIREMENTS AS A PDF

ALL STUDENTS - AT ALL TIMES*
*Requirements for Coterm Student-Athletes and Baseball/Football/Basketball Student-Athletes Below

• You must be enrolled in at least 12 units at all times – be sure to add classes before you drop
  • Do not withdraw from a class or change the grading option without checking with your AARC advisor first
  • Check with your AARC advisor when planning to repeat a class
  • EACH quarter: you must pass 6 degree-applicable units
  • CUMULATIVELY during the Fall, Winter, and Spring quarters: you must pass 27 degree-applicable units
What are degree-applicable units?

• Frosh & Sophomores: All units are degree-applicable
  • Juniors & Seniors: degree-applicable units are a combination of GER, major, and elective classes. Contact your AARC advisor if you are not registered for at least 6 GER and major units. For other exceptions, please contact your AARC advisor.
REQUIRED PROGRESS BY YEAR
Note: Unit totals outlined below are "degree-applicable" units:

By the START of Sophomore Year you must:

• have a cumulative GPA of 1.8
  • have completed 36 units
By the END of Sophomore Year you must:

• declare a major

• have completed 72 units (40% of your total degree requirements)

• have completed 108 units (60% of your degree requirements)
By the START of a 5th Year you must:

• have completed 144 units (80% of your degree requirements)
COTERMS - REQUIRED PROGRESS BY YEAR
In addition to the standard Sophomore year requirements listed above:

• have completed 33% of your degree requirements

• have completed 50% of your degree requirements
By the START of your Coterm year you must:

• have completed 67% of your degree requirements
SPORT-SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS
BASEBALL
Must be eligible in the Fall Quarter in order to be eligible in the Winter and Spring Quarters

FOOTBALL
Must pass 8 degree-applicable units in the Fall Quarter to be eligible for the next season (Fall Quarter of the following year)

MEN & WOMEN'S BASKETBALL
In order to participate in summer practices, must be enrolled in summer courses at Stanford or be on 4-year academic plan (25% of total degree requirements by the start of sophomore year, 50% total degree requirements by the start of junior year, 75% of total degree requirements by the start of senior year)

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These look like minimum HS requirements. Nothing stops a school from having higher admission standards.
But Stanford doesn't do they. Stanford plainly states the requirements for its student athletes on the link I posted. Nothing tricky and/or hidden about it.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is what AG can't seem to grasp. The NCAA minimums and what is required to get into Stanford are not the same thing.

Perhaps the athletes have different standards once they get in, but getting in is the hard part. Every year, there are athletes that Stanford's coaches aren't even allowed to recruit because they can't meet Stanford's admission requirements.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what AG can't seem to grasp. The NCAA minimums and what is required to get into Stanford are not the same thing.

Perhaps the athletes have different standards once they get in, but getting in is the hard part. Every year, there are athletes that Stanford's coaches aren't even allowed to recruit because they can't meet Stanford's admission requirements.
It states right on Stanford's very own website what the requirements are for its student athletes. It's in ENGLISH.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This has always been my understanding. I have a feeling the admissions board has instructed the AD and coaches that do not even pass on an application unless there is a gpa of at least X and/or and SAT/ACT score of Y, irrespective of the stated minimums.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It states right on Stanford's very own website what the requirements are for its student athletes. It's in ENGLISH.

I think they’re putting out there what the minimums are to even apply. I think you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone that is pulling those minimums is going to get admitted.

I think most schools also aren’t going to take away their wiggle-room by putting their explicit requirements.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they’re putting out there what the minimums are to even apply. I think you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone that is pulling those minimums is going to get admitted.

I think most schools also aren’t going to take away their wiggle-room by putting their explicit requirements.
Stanford clearly stated in perfect English what the requirements are for their student athletes which includes their football recruits. There's nothing tricky about what they wrote on their own website.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Stanford doesn't do they. Stanford plainly states the requirements for its student athletes on the link I posted. Nothing tricky and/or hidden about it.
it does say for student athletes but does not say anything about recruits. getting in, it appears, is harder than staying in.
everything you have posted, which really is the same thing over and over, is after admission. admission standards to get in to Stanford are different than other schools.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford clearly stated in perfect English what the requirements are for their student athletes which includes their football recruits. There's nothing tricky about what they wrote on their own website.
a recruit is not a Stanford student athlete. those measures do not apply until after admission.