• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

question about michigan fg to send it to ot

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is offense subs thrown out the book? defense wasnt allowed to match subs.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't watching, but the highlights made Brady Hoke look like an idiot. Why not spike it and then kick and not worry about that problem?

haydav49

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I wasn't watching, but the highlights made Brady Hoke look like an idiot. Why not spike it and then kick and not worry about that problem?

It was 4th down. Spike it and you lose the ball. Hoke is an idiot, but the play was money.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It was 4th down.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 4th down. Spike it and you lose the ball. Hoke is an idiot, but the play was money.

Gotcha, I figured that had to be what it was.

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this under Help with Rules Interpretation. Some of the responses had to do with rule saying that if it is the last play the substation rules don't apply on the last play. But I pointed out why does the ref run to set the ball in such situations but not in others.

Watching games yesterday I came upon the Northwestern / Michigan game at the very end.
With 11 seconds left Michigan catches a pass but it is not a 1st down. They run the field goal team on to the field and kick a game tieing field goal with 1 second left:

First question, why to referees run to set the ball up for play only in the last minute of a game when on every other play they move at a regular pace. Three minutes early in the game it might take eight or nine seconds just to set the ball. They do not do this at the end of the first half. It seems a benefit to the offensive team. They also do it slowly if the offensive team is in victory formation.

Second, since there was change of players, why did they not give Northwestern the opportunity to make changes as they do with any fast paced offense that changes personnel. The explanation given to Northwestern was that they do not have to give the defense a chance to change if it is the last play of the half or of the game.

Seems strange. How does the referee know if any play is the last play of the half or game.
Simple possibility, what if there was a bad snap on the play, the kicker picks up the ball and throws a pass on which a pass interference call is made. The last play of the game (in the refs mind) turns out not to be.

In fact, theoretically a game could go on forever with continuous defensive penalties. I understand that is far fetched, but the point is that the ref never really knows what the last play of the half will be.

RGrabber

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this under Help with Rules Interpretation. Some of the responses had to do with rule saying that if it is the last play the substation rules don't apply on the last play. But I pointed out why does the ref run to set the ball in such situations but not in others.

Watching games yesterday I came upon the Northwestern / Michigan game at the very end.
With 11 seconds left Michigan catches a pass but it is not a 1st down. They run the field goal team on to the field and kick a game tieing field goal with 1 second left:

First question, why to referees run to set the ball up for play only in the last minute of a game when on every other play they move at a regular pace. Three minutes early in the game it might take eight or nine seconds just to set the ball. They do not do this at the end of the first half. It seems a benefit to the offensive team. They also do it slowly if the offensive team is in victory formation.

Second, since there was change of players, why did they not give Northwestern the opportunity to make changes as they do with any fast paced offense that changes personnel. The explanation given to Northwestern was that they do not have to give the defense a chance to change if it is the last play of the half or of the game.

Seems strange. How does the referee know if any play is the last play of the half or game.
Simple possibility, what if there was a bad snap on the play, the kicker picks up the ball and throws a pass on which a pass interference call is made. The last play of the game (in the refs mind) turns out not to be.

In fact, theoretically a game could go on forever with continuous defensive penalties. I understand that is far fetched, but the point is that the ref never really knows what the last play of the half will be.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of common sense. If you can't get the play off with the defense substituting you shouldn't have to wait for them.

Any other interpretation is mindnumbingly stupid.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of common sense. If you can't get the play off with the defense substituting you shouldn't have to wait for them.

Any other interpretation is mindnumbingly stupid.

The rule is the defense gets a reasonable amount of time to substitute, and according to the officials in the Miami/UNC game about three seconds should be given for the defense to make a substitution if the offense does. I'm not sure why the rule was not applied there but is applied when a team makes a substitution as the play clock is expiring.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The play clock expiring is within the offense's control. The game clock is not.