• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacoby Brissett: Ya'll wanna talk about it now?

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Based upon what? He's a Colt McCoy, Baker Mayfield type! Can you see either of them being better?
OK, let me be fairer to you... who do you see as his NFL comps?

SN: Hurts is nursing some sort of knee issue and it will probably require a bit of cleanup/ correction when their season is done.
Very hard to do nfl comps because they’re their own selves. I’ll go with stafford, maybe even a Prescott with a better arm

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is he became the starter again after struggling and played some good football here. The fact the dumbasses tried to low ball him and he didn't resign is secondary.
You are correct. More than a few in here were down on Cousins. He did have struggles in his first few years.

Once he because the full time starter he did not lose that position.

One person who posts here said he was average, couldn't get better, had hit his ceiling could be replaced by AJ McCarron etc. That same person is now saying the same thing about Howell. He might be right, we know he has been wrong before. He also blamed Haskins failures on coaching and not on Haskins where the blame belonged. I'll let you do the math.

They did give up on .... another comical claim. He got low balled and then they traded for Alex Smith before Cousins every left. It was pointed out the other day that they could have got a 1st for KC from San Fran except for Snyder and Allen being petty.

I liked Howell coming out of college ... kbso had a post today of an NFL Scout that said he did not like Howell coming out but thinks he is high end backup or average starter. Up to the new regime to figure out what they want to do. It was actually a good listen.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very hard to do nfl comps because they’re their own selves. I’ll go with stafford, maybe even a Prescott with a better arm
I apologize, perhaps I didn't make myself clear, but I wanted your NFL comps for Sam Howell.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, that’s my comps.
Ok, well in that case what are you basing that on? I know that you find them hard to do as stated and I won't drag this on, but I am curious as to how you got to those two.

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I don’t get is Howell is putting up numbers that are amongst the best of a lot of all time greats and is right there with Mahomes , burrow , hurts etc . And yet he is baker mayfield ? After 16 starts ? With his dysfunctional team and that has quit ?

Over and over again I ask what signature wins does Daniel’s have ? Or Williams I was told 2022 over Alabama 11-2 no playoff , and ole Miss 8-5 while going 8-4
In 2023 they are 9-3,with a loss to FSU and losses to ole miss and Alabama

Now let’s check Williams 2022 2 losses to Utah one a huge blowout , and a loss to Tulane

7-5 , losses to blowout loss to ND , another loss to Utah , loss to Washington, the crying game , loss to Oregon blowout loss to UCLA

So these guys , no real signature wins In college are now world beaters in the NFL ? Because of a few highlight reel plays ?

These guys play well vs patsies and come down to earth when they are tested vs the best college football has to offer while San Howell is baker mayfield because his o/ line sucks . His defense is CFL , and his coaches are JV ?

This is all I really found on Howells college career. Could the same be said about Howell in college? I don't know much about howells unc days. We all know his production dropped his senior year. Various reasons have been given for that.

Combing through that article, he seemed to put up big numbers against weaker teams as well.

I agree on daniels and Williams and the inability to beat better teams. Those are valid concerns I have as well.

Williams is almost off my draft board. His dad is apparently Levar ball 2.0 and Williams hasn't denied or addressed the numerous rumors about potential ownership and only accepting a pick from 1 of 5 teams.

I don't know if Howell is the franchise qb, and I don't think anyone here does. He has done some good things, but he has also done some poor things as well. Same can be said about most rookie qbs. Red flags i see is an absolute lack of charisma. He seems almost too emotionless to me. He throws a pick, he just waltzes off the field with no frustration. He throws a game tying TD and shows little to no emotion in my opinion.

That can be a good or bad thing. Do troops follow an emotionless leader into battle? Probably not. He is almost robotic in his press interviews.

That being said, I like how he is calm under pressure and doesn't get shaken. Nerves of steel.He throws a sweet deep.ball as well. He just floats it.

The bottom line is that the GM has to decide if a qb in the draft is possibly better than howell or not.

They will have to make a perfect decision on this with imperfect information. Howellnhas 1 year of starting nfl experience. The GM will be known for this decision.

Did they give up on an elite qb without knowing it in Sam howell?

Or, did they stay with what they knew in Howell and pass on an elite qb in the draft?

Biggest offseason decision in years in my opinion. Will shape the next 5 years for us.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, well in that case what are you basing that on? I know that you find them hard to do as stated and I won't drag this on, but I am curious as to how you got to those two.
Staffords big arm, tendency to throw some bad picks now and then, don’t get flustered. Prescott good quick game needs a good OL to protect him and like I said Howell has the better arm. I’ll also add if the GM they hire likes one in the draft better then get him. I leave this stuff to the professionals. Like I always said if we knew what we thought we knew we’d probably be a GM, not on a message board

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Staffords big arm, tendency to throw some bad picks now and then, don’t get flustered. Prescott good quick game needs a good OL to protect him and like I said Howell has the better arm. I’ll also add if the GM they hire likes one in the draft better then get him. I leave this stuff to the professionals. Like I always said if we knew what we thought we knew we’d probably be a GM, not on a message board
Thanks!

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct. More than a few in here were down on Cousins. He did have struggles in his first few years.

Once he because the full time starter he did not lose that position.

One person who posts here said he was average, couldn't get better, had hit his ceiling could be replaced by AJ McCarron etc. That same person is now saying the same thing about Howell. He might be right, we know he has been wrong before. He also blamed Haskins failures on coaching and not on Haskins where the blame belonged. I'll let you do the math.

They did give up on .... another comical claim. He got low balled and then they traded for Alex Smith before Cousins every left. It was pointed out the other day that they could have got a 1st for KC from San Fran except for Snyder and Allen being petty.

I liked Howell coming out of college ... kbso had a post today of an NFL Scout that said he did not like Howell coming out but thinks he is high end backup or average starter. Up to the new regime to figure out what they want to do. It was actually a good listen.
I think Howell is a starter in this league. I'm willing to say I'm pretty sure of that. I'm just not sure of he will ever be elite. It seems as the Skins have played better defenses, his play has dipped dramatically.

Jets, 49ers, and Cowboys are about as good as it gets if you want to see where your young QB stands.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if Howell is a franchise qb or not, but if you think that there are a lot of first year qb’s that put up the numbers that howell did despite having no oline or running game, then you havent watched much football.

Yes, Howell has thrown more passes than a lot of qb’s. So what? He still has to complete them.

We all see that he has some escapability, can improvise a little bit, throws a good ball, and has made some great throws this year.

We all also see that he holds the ball too long, has made some terrible throws, runs himself into sacks, and seems to be playing worse down the stretch.

Is he gunshy? Does he hear footsteps? Nobody knows.

One thing is certain: no qb will be any good behind the current offensive line, and I dont think you can say that any current qb would do that much better than Howell has either.

That’s why he deserves another year.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont know if Howell is a franchise qb or not, but if you think that there are a lot of first year qb’s that put up the numbers that howell did despite having no oline or running game, then you havent watched much football.

Yes, Howell has thrown more passes than a lot of qb’s. So what? He still has to complete them.

We all see that he has some escapability, can improvise a little bit, throws a good ball, and has made some great throws this year.

We all also see that he holds the ball too long, has made some terrible throws, runs himself into sacks, and seems to be playing worse down the stretch.

Is he gunshy? Does he hear footsteps? Nobody knows.

One thing is certain: no qb will be any good behind the current offensive line, and I dont think you can say that any current qb would do that much better than Howell has either.

That’s why he deserves another year.
See that's why i need to see him over the next three weeks. Burrow was the most sacked QB in the league and took his team to a bowl.

Statically speaking this line is "supposedly" ranked in the middle. Not sure I buy that, but that narrative is out there.

Perfect scenario, Howell balls out in three close losses and we plug and play Harrison Jr.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long ad they upgrade the oline in free agency and the draft too, I’m good with getting MHJr first.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all I really found on Howells college career. Could the same be said about Howell in college? I don't know much about howells unc days. We all know his production dropped his senior year. Various reasons have been given for that.

Combing through that article, he seemed to put up big numbers against weaker teams as well.

I agree on daniels and Williams and the inability to beat better teams. Those are valid concerns I have as well.

Williams is almost off my draft board. His dad is apparently Levar ball 2.0 and Williams hasn't denied or addressed the numerous rumors about potential ownership and only accepting a pick from 1 of 5 teams.

I don't know if Howell is the franchise qb, and I don't think anyone here does. He has done some good things, but he has also done some poor things as well. Same can be said about most rookie qbs. Red flags i see is an absolute lack of charisma. He seems almost too emotionless to me. He throws a pick, he just waltzes off the field with no frustration. He throws a game tying TD and shows little to no emotion in my opinion.

That can be a good or bad thing. Do troops follow an emotionless leader into battle? Probably not. He is almost robotic in his press interviews.

That being said, I like how he is calm under pressure and doesn't get shaken. Nerves of steel.He throws a sweet deep.ball as well. He just floats it.

The bottom line is that the GM has to decide if a qb in the draft is possibly better than howell or not.

They will have to make a perfect decision on this with imperfect information. Howellnhas 1 year of starting nfl experience. The GM will be known for this decision.

Or, did they stay with what they knew in Howell and pass on an elite qb in the draft?

Biggest offseason decision in years in my opinion. Will shape the next 5 years for us.

Good post.

I think we don't know and have to trust the new FO to figure that out.

Gosknz pointed out earlier it took Cousins a few years .... maybe Howell is the same guy. kbso's post of Matt Miller earlier was insightful while sounding like every other draft person ever. The best pick for Washington is the 3rd best QB with the 4th pick. I am not saying he is wrong but it makes you say hmmmm ...

Having been in the military I rather have a steady eddie leader than a rah rah guy. Just my 2 cents.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post.

I think we don't know and have to trust the new FO to figure that out.

SGosknz pointed out earlier it took Cousins a few years .... maybe Howell is the same guy. kbso's post of Matt Miller earlier was insightful while sounding like every other draft person ever. The best pick for Washington is the 3rd best QB with the 4th pick. I am not saying he is wrong but it makes you say hmmmm ...

Having been in the military I rather have a steady eddie leader than a rah rah guy. Just my 2 cents.
It takes most QBs a few years. Going from college to the NFL is a huge leap at this position. I laugh at those that say he is what he will forever be. Or those that say they know what type player he is today. this kid was thrown into the fire, with no real support. And he is doing OK. He has had his struggles and his great plays. Most would have failed. We can all name names of players who did.

the realization is that no one knows where Sam‘s ceiling is yet. but we do know this. Any new QB we bring in here with this support cast will most likely fail. And in 5 years, we will still be bemoaning that we whiffed on another 1st round qb pick that bombed. But the truth is that they never had a chance.

my concern isn’t about taking a QB in the first round, it’s about reaching for a QB in the first round. from what I can tell, there isn’t a QB in this draft that doesn’t have flaws. this happens most years, as the draft nears, QBs get overvalued. And many are like a kid in a toy store, desiring that new shiny toy.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

good post duke., i have a question. Let's say we hire an offensive HC and that HC doesn't want Howell and wants to draft a QB like Daniels. But the GM wants to move forward with Howell. what happens? Or at the HC interview does the GM say that we are having Howell to be our starter here. or does the GM say you get to pick your QB in the draft if you want?

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The reason Bobby Beathard left the Redskins was because he and Joe Gibbs wanted different things. Bobby wanted to get younger is some positons and Joe wanted to hang onto the players that had helped him win.

What you hope for is a working unit between GM and HC .... Harris will set the decision making priority

duke1861

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good post duke., i have a question. Let's say we hire an offensive HC and that HC doesn't want Howell and wants to draft a QB like Daniels. But the GM wants to move forward with Howell. what happens? Or at the HC interview does the GM say that we are having Howell to be our starter here. or does the GM say you get to pick your QB in the draft if you want?
Appreciate it and happy holidays Dean!

Personal opinion here, I would hope or think that the GM somewhat puts his cards on the table during the interview and explains the situation during the final round of interviews once the GM has the guy or two that they want.

Two schools of thought.

1. Spill the beans to the top candidates and reveal we are either going with Howell or drafting a qb early. You then risk revealing to the nfl what we are doing with candidates not hired. The GM would then know what the serious HC candidates really believe.

2. Stay vague and attempt to gage what the candidates believe until the HC is hired.
In other words, one of my first questions as GM would be: What are your thoughts and solutions on our qb situation? Would you prefer the organization move forward and develop same Howell and build around him, or draft a qb in round 1. The GM can then see where the candidates fall and go from there.

I am rambling, but basically, the GM and HC need to be on the same page. In my opinion, the HC has a voice but the GM has final say. If the GM wants to move forward or move on from Howell, he needs to hire a HC who would support that direction. If there is a disagreement from the start between the HC and GM, that would not be good. To me, the qb issue must be settled before the rest of the roster can be rebuilt. The HC needs to have an opinion, but the GM has final authority here.

I would think that the qb question is a major topic during interviews and that the candidate answer will knock some out of contention.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Appreciate it and happy holidays Dean!

Personal opinion here, I would hope or think that the GM somewhat puts his cards on the table during the interview and explains the situation during the final round of interviews once the GM has the guy or two that they want.

Two schools of thought.

1. Spill the beans to the top candidates and reveal we are either going with Howell or drafting a qb early. You then risk revealing to the nfl what we are doing with candidates not hired. The GM would then know what the serious HC candidates really believe.

2. Stay vague and attempt to gage what the candidates believe until the HC is hired.
In other words, one of my first questions as GM would be: What are your thoughts and solutions on our qb situation? Would you prefer the organization move forward and develop same Howell and build around him, or draft a qb in round 1. The GM can then see where the candidates fall and go from there.

I am rambling, but basically, the GM and HC need to be on the same page. In my opinion, the HC has a voice but the GM has final say. If the GM wants to move forward or move on from Howell, he needs to hire a HC who would support that direction. If there is a disagreement from the start between the HC and GM, that would not be good. To me, the qb issue must be settled before the rest of the roster can be rebuilt. The HC needs to have an opinion, but the GM has final authority here.

I would think that the qb question is a major topic during interviews and that the candidate answer will knock some out of contention.

same to you. there should be complete honesty at the interviews. No need for a disagreement after the HC is hired.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whomever the GM is I would hope they hire an offensive HC.

Whether it's Daniels, Maye, or Howell, I would hate to hire a defensive HC, he brings in his OC, said QB takes off and now that OC is a hot HC candidate.

Howell most likely will be learning his third offensive system in three years. We need an Andy Reid type coach. Mahomes will never have to learn another offensive system no matter how much success the Chiefs have.

Look at Stroud. It's a matter of time before Slowik gets plucked. Sure, they will probably try to elevate someone, but it's not the same.

Goff is about to lose Ben Johnson.

If the goal is to develop Howell, or draft a QB in the top 5, you'd have to think any GM that values stability for his QB, would bring in an offensive coach to run things for at least the next five years.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To compare Howell to Colt McCoy rather than someone like Josh Allen in the early part of their careers is laughable.