• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jacoby Brissett: Ya'll wanna talk about it now?

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am pretty sure that not one person here sees Howell as a game-changer, thus the need for an overwhelming support cast. Not harsh, real.
He might need most of that but not the best of everything imo lol

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gentlemen, if all that you saw was another player playing "meaningless minutes" in "garbage time" then you aren't serious about evaluating Howell. You're hopeful about the guy and that's your right, but to try to put the focus on Brissett and not Howell comparatively actually serves no purpose.
Sty, those two drives helped in the evaluation of Howell. Why could he avoid the pass rush Howell saw? Why could he throw the longest TD pass of the year? Why did McLaurin have his biggest day this year in just two drives? We all have ideas why, we all have ideas who we would like to see drafted. That's for the people not yet here to decide.

It's not as sexy but the FA or trade market is possible too. They could also wait and build in other areas.

Here's a stat I heard today that is interesting. The two best QBs in the league at keeping hurry/pressures from becoming sacks is Allen @ 9% and Mahomes @ 10%. Meanwhile Howell was in a three way tie for last @ 30%. Of even further interest is Howell had a high percentage of sacks to pressures in college too.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might need most of that but not the best of everything imo lol
The goal is winning a SB!
Right now, there's talk of rebuilding the offensive line based on how this team did so in its heyday! That's a once-in-a-lifetime O-line.
Right now there's debate over whether or not TM is a WR1 (he's not) therefore a need arises for a WR1.
Right now the TE of the future is not on the roster and Howell needs at minimum the best in the game.
Right now, a major complaint is the lack of a run game because EB is a pass-happy OC. Besides if you're going to have another version of the HOGs... they ran the ball, thus the top-five attack.
All because Baker... er, uh I mean Howell isn't a game-changer and has physical restrictions that cannot be changed.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, if Howell is going to be the guy, then there have to be massive upgrades everywhere else. In addition to a once-in-a-lifetime offensive line, he's going to need a top-three WR, a top 5 running attack and probably the best TE in the game in order to qualify for the playoffs. To win it all. The team, even with all of that won't win it all unless they come together in an "up" season for Howell.
Now that you mention it Sty, the team needs upgrades at those positions and more, clearly. Every QB in this league needs some talent around him to win. Howell has very little to none currently. Throw in a new coach since that stunk as well. I will say this, a reworked OL, possibly a MHJ and a capable TE, Howell gets this team in the playoffs next year. As for the defense, a complete reclamation needs to occur.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sty, those two drives helped in the evaluation of Howell. Why could he avoid the pass rush Howell saw? Why could he throw the longest TD pass of the year? Why did McLaurin have his biggest day this year in just two drives? We all have ideas why, we all have ideas who we would like to see drafted. That's for the people not yet here to decide.

It's not as sexy but the FA or trade market is possible too. They could also wait and build in other areas.

Here's a stat I heard today that is interesting. The two best QBs in the league at keeping hurry/pressures from becoming sacks is Allen @ 9% and Mahomes @ 10%. Meanwhile Howell was in a three way tie for last @ 30%. Of even further interest is Howell had a high percentage of sacks to pressures in college too.
PREVENT DEFENSE

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that you mention it Sty, the team needs upgrades at those positions and more, clearly. Every QB in this league needs some talent around him to win. Howell has very little to none currently. Throw in a new coach since that stunk as well. I will say this, a reworked OL, possibly a MHJ and a capable TE, Howell gets this team in the playoffs next year. As for the defense, a complete reclamation needs to occur.
They could squeeze into the playoff if they had all that you listed but Howell won't get them there... they will get him there! Big difference between those two things.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PREVENT DEFENSE
I heard this one all week long so let's operate on the premise that it was indeed a prevent defense, also garbage time, and that Jacoby played in meaningless minutes. How do you account for the things that your eyes told you? Jacoby actually manipulated the pocket to take pressure off of himself, made very quick decisions, and got the ball out of his hands. He threw receivers open, and his ball placement was pretty good. Your eyes weren't lying to you, the offense "looked" better because it was better. At this point, I wouldn't allow Brissett anywhere near the field in these last few games. There's simply too much at stake!

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The goal is winning a SB!
Right now, there's talk of rebuilding the offensive line based on how this team did so in its heyday! That's a once-in-a-lifetime O-line.
Right now there's debate over whether or not TM is a WR1 (he's not) therefore a need arises for a WR1.
Right now the TE of the future is not on the roster and Howell needs at minimum the best in the game.
Right now, a major complaint is the lack of a run game because EB is a pass-happy OC. Besides if you're going to have another version of the HOGs... they ran the ball, thus the top-five attack.
All because Baker... er, uh I mean Howell isn't a game-changer and has physical restrictions that cannot be changed.
I'm all in on Jayden or Harrison Jr. I've stated the line can be fixed in FA and the 2nd round. The Bengals took Chase over Sewell and haven't looked back. Got to a Superbowl.

I'm crossing my fingers they can land Sanders, the TE from Texas with one of their 2nds. When it comes to EB I don't know how to feel. I kinda like that he pushed the players in camp.

We're not seeing delay of games, false starts, guys lined up offsides. I've seen him chew out players on the sideline on occasion. Then I look at how the Chiefs are struggling and how Toney lined up offsides. Maybe the Chiefs are missing his discipline. Maybe not. It's hard to repeat.

The goal line sequence was brutal, but EB with a TE and an O-line probably works.

I carried a lot of water for Ron. I wanted him to succeed here because I respect Ron the man, but this roster is a complete mess. Holes at almost every position and not a top 5 player in sight.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm all in on Jayden or Harrison Jr. I've stated the line can be fixed in FA and the 2nd round. The Bengals took Chase over Sewell and haven't looked back. Got to a Superbowl.

I'm crossing my fingers they can land Sanders, the TE from Texas with one of their 2nds. When it comes to EB I don't know how to feel. I kinda like that he pushed the players in camp.

We're not seeing delay of games, false starts, guys lined up offsides. I've seen him chew out players on the sideline on occasion. Then I look at how the Chiefs are struggling and how Toney lined up offsides. Maybe the Chiefs are missing his discipline. Maybe not. It's hard to repeat.

The goal line sequence was brutal, but EB with a TE and an O-line probably works.

I carried a lot of water for Ron. I wanted him to succeed here because I respect Ron the man, but this roster is a complete mess. Holes at almost every position and not a top 5 player in sight.
Here's the thing and everybody knows it...

Let's say that the Harris group is intent on doing things right. They go about hiring a dedicated GM, who subsequently hires the HC, HC hires his staff etc. etc. We can all talk about OL and WR until we're blue in the face, but the fact is, when all of that is in place the very first thing that this new staff will deal with is QB!

I like that guy J. Sanders as a TE prospect. He has good size and decent speed, more of the possession/moves the chains type. Do you know anything about his blocking abilities?

I thought that the goal line sequences were purposeful after they realized that they could actually win the game.

I never liked Ron, after Haskins my disdain for him grew. Cam Newton is the only link to his desire to have a QB playing for him. I believe that he'd rather put a linebacker in at QB in the hope of replicating what he had in Carolina.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing and everybody knows it...

Let's say that the Harris group is intent on doing things right. They go about hiring a dedicated GM, who subsequently hires the HC, HC hires his staff etc. etc. We can all talk about OL and WR until we're blue in the face, but the fact is, when all of that is in place the very first thing that this new staff will deal with is QB!

I like that guy J. Sanders as a TE prospect. He has good size and decent speed, more of the possession/moves the chains type. Do you know anything about his blocking abilities?

I thought that the goal line sequences were purposeful after they realized that they could actually win the game.

I never liked Ron, after Haskins my disdain for him grew. Cam Newton is the only link to his desire to have a QB playing for him. I believe that he'd rather put a linebacker in at QB in the hope of replicating what he had in Carolina.
Listening to Mike Jones on Sheehan today he said based on Harris' track record in other sports he's less likely to go for a young unproven coach.

Doc Rivers and Nick Nurse were cited as examples. He was just speculating though. Said Harris likes "proven winners."

This put me in the mind of if Tomlin breaks loose with his ties to Pittsburgh, the dreaded Belichick rumors, or even Harbaugh.

Hopefully, Harris will give the new GM full autonomy. We have already seen him willing to somewhat step in and have a say so on where he's willing to spend his money. (Chase & Sweat).

Let's say the new GM does have full authority. How does that affect our coaching search?
What if the new GM likes Sam but the coach he wants doesn't? Gonna be a very interesting and exciting off-season.

Interesting observation about the goal line sequence. I dunno. Hard to see Ron and EB actively tank for the next regime's benifit.

I've heard Sanders in not an in-line blocker, but honestly we have one of those in Bates.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never liked Haskins .... he was lazy and undisciplined.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Mike Jones on Sheehan today he said based on Harris' track record in other sports he's less likely to go for a young unproven coach.

Doc Rivers and Nick Nurse were cited as examples. He was just speculating though. Said Harris likes "proven winners."

This put me in the mind of if Tomlin breaks loose with his ties to Pittsburgh, the dreaded Belichick rumors, or even Harbaugh.

Hopefully, Harris will give the new GM full autonomy. We have already seen him willing to somewhat step in and have a say so on where he's willing to spend his money. (Chase & Sweat).

Let's say the new GM does have full authority. How does that affect our coaching search?
What if the new GM likes Sam but the coach he wants doesn't? Gonna be a very interesting and exciting off-season.

Interesting observation about the goal line sequence. I dunno. Hard to see Ron and EB actively tank for the next regime's benifit.

I've heard Sanders in not an in-line blocker, but honestly we have one of those in Bates.
We'll see how it all shakes out and I agree, it's going to be interesting.

I have no idea who they select as GM or HC. My preference for HC is an offensive-minded one.

Easy fix if they disagree on anything, GM is the boss and chief architect of the team my dear HC, your job is to make it all work. I hold him accountable, he holds you accountable.

Btw; I don't think that they actively attempted to "tank," no sense of urgency was obvious and controlled.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see how it all shakes out and I agree, it's going to be interesting.

I have no idea who they select as GM or HC. My preference for HC is an offensive-minded one.

Easy fix if they disagree on anything, GM is the boss and chief architect of the team my dear HC, your job is to make it all work. I hold him accountable, he holds you accountable.

Btw; I don't think that they actively attempted to "tank," no sense of urgency was obvious and controlled.
I'm Slowik or Johnson, but I keep hearing this is a hot GM job but way down the list as a coaching destination.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm Slowik or Johnson, but I keep hearing this is a hot GM job but way down the list as a coaching destination.
I am probably wrong but I have watched two Detroit games and said .... what's the big deal about this Johnson guy.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am probably wrong but I have watched two Detroit games and said .... what's the big deal about this Johnson guy.
Yeah, I've said to myself that he has a really high ceiling but probably has a really low floor. I like what he's done with Goff though.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look if you think 1/2 a quarter of football in garbage time means anything i cant help you . putting brisset in to go 9-7 (doubtful ) doesnt do this team any good . finding out about howell in a transition year is more important then deciding to spend 20 mil plus on a journeyman qb
Seriously. first, jacoby played well and took advantage of the situation. Props to him. But he was playing against a rams defense at that point that was in prevent., and not very good. They were not bringing max pressure like they were earlier in the game. Jacoby is not the future of this franchise. The question is can Sam be the future. The jury is still out. He has shown he can play and he has shown he can bomb. but with this oline and with EB play calling that did not focus on getting the ball to our best play maker, TM, I’m not sure how you can really evaluate him.

Gosknz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look if you think 1/2 a quarter of football in garbage time means anything i cant help you . putting brisset in to go 9-7 (doubtful ) doesnt do this team any good . finding out about howell in a transition year is more important then deciding to spend 20 mil plus on a journeyman qb
I agree. There is a reason Brisset has been on 4 or 5 teams and not entrenched as a starter somewhere. To think that somehow he was going to lead this team to the playoffs is crazy. Howell has 3 weeks to get back to playing good football if here wants to remain the starter here. Everyone acts like drafting a guy high in the draft means he is automatically going to be better than Howell. If nothing else, Howell has proven he is physically tough. Young and Stroud have both missed time if I am not mistaken. Remember sometimes the best ability is availability.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 words , brock purdy , he certainly isnt carrying the 49ers team anywhere . he has a good defense , o/line and weapons . he distributes the ball and the 49ers are in fact super bowl contenders as they were last season with purdy . purdy is not an elite qb at this time

howells numbers stack up well vs any 1st year starter you want to name despite a crappy o/line a horrendous defense , underperforming weapons awful coaching and a team that has quit on the season .

who the hell has caleb williams beat ? has he played in the tournament ? Daniels ? some one trotted out number 6 bama and #7 ole miss in 22 but really ? pennix ? 6 yr sr with 2 acls ? he did have a big couple of wins vs oregon nix 5th yr sr no signature wins , maye ? really nothing but physical gifts and elevating teammates

so can these things be overcome ? yes , but do i throw a top 5 pick at it ?

i keep hearing abou FA and fixing the o/line there , possible but who are the targets ? you will get another version of leno at OT and do we really want op spend over 100 mil in cap spaces to go 9-8 ?

now sty is right , we will fall into the trap of new FO wanting their guy and we will overdraft a qb adding another yr to the rebuild