• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB's to target in the 2015 Draft....

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen, whether you like Jay Cutler or not, he's getting up there in age and the Bears' Front Office should be looking for the heir apparent. Much in the way Green Bay has always had decent QB's sitting on the bench like Aaron Rodgers, Mark Brunell, etc., Chicago should be looking for THAT guy to be riding the pines and learning behind a starter. And since, as the season progresses, it is looking like the Bears will have a pick high in the first round....

Any badass collegiate QB's on the radar?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WB- A great example of that is not only Green Bay of the past decade or so, but the player we saw yesterday... Tom Brady. Drafting Brady wasn't some concession that Drew Bledsoe was bad. Of course, that was a late round pick and it's not like we haven't been drafting guys like David Fales, the dude from Western Michigan (Dan something?) or Kyle Orton. But I agree... no reason to ditch that strategy. You never know when the mid or low round pick becomes Brady, Wilson or Kaepernick.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah, I'm not talking about taking someone in the mid to late rounds. That rarely works. I'm looking to take someone in the first round just like Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers.

Even if Jay starts becoming more consistent down the stretch, I think he's at the age where we need to seriously think about getting his replacement that can sit the bench for he next couple years........or come in immediately if Jay continues to shit the bed with INT's and/or fumbles.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but they did bring up the point that New England kept 4 quarterbacks on the roster when Brady was drafted. Thats never gonna happen here. Bears keep looking for Fales types that slip thru to the late rounds, well Brady slipped to the 6th, but Brady might be that once in a lifetime player.

I really dont care if they use their first round pick on a QB, Green Bay got away with it when they had Favre. But then again, Green bay picks guys in the second and third round that are still on their team past training camp. The only common thing is Favre had and Cutler has no time for that QB on the sidelines there to take his job.

That QB Trestman had in Canada was a nobody. You are wasting his best quality not having a QB here to be training.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont care if they use their first round pick on a QB, Green Bay got away with it when they had Favre. But then again, Green bay picks guys in the second and third round that are still on their team past training camp. The only common thing is Favre had and Cutler has no time for that QB on the sidelines there to take his job.

True, the Packers probably do better job than any other football team at drafting and keeping their talent. As a matter of fact, I read an article last year where it said the Packers drafted something like 45-48 of the players on their 53 man roster. Truly unbelievable stuff. Very admirable.

My point is a football team starts with the QB (and then the offensive line, etc.), the one thing that Trestman and Emery could do for this team, whether they stay or go in upcoming years, is set the team up with a decent QB. They have already done a good job of putting together the beginnings of a decent offensive line, now let's get a young QB who Trestman can train.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, the Packers probably do better job than any other football team at drafting and keeping their talent. As a matter of fact, I read an article last year where it said the Packers drafted something like 45-48 of the players on their 53 man roster. Truly unbelievable stuff. Very admirable. (( They keep their talent because no one else wants it. Outside of AR they are a crap team. I'm not impressed at all with GBs front office. Same team with the exact same weaknesses year in and year out.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first round... I would prefer we find that guy who will be the captain of the defense for the next decade. I don't see a long term captain on that side of the ball and I think that is part of the problem. Full disclosure... I'm not a huge fan of Lance Briggs in that role. He's a great player (or was) but he has never been a good leader in my eyes. I would love for this team to find that guy early in the next draft.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the first round... I would prefer we find that guy who will be the captain of the defense for the next decade. I don't see a long term captain on that side of the ball and I think that is part of the problem. Full disclosure... I'm not a huge fan of Lance Briggs in that role. He's a great player (or was) but he has never been a good leader in my eyes. I would love for this team to find that guy early in the next draft.
We already did. His name is Fuller and he is the future.

DaSuperfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Marcus Mariota.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With this team- and with the "talent" that we have... we can't afford a first round Pick that sits. 2016...maybe. I would rather go the Dallas route and build up the Lines. Give me another Kyle Long or find a Suh type and that will help improve things.
They still have a window with the Offensive "stars". Drafting a QB... Best case he's "ready" in when? 2017. By then Forte isn't what he is now. Marshall is 2 years older/slower. Bushrod will be old... Briggs will be gone. Just more mediocrity 8-8.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would too, but this current staff wants to change our love for bears defense to an always sunny field or domed stadium offense that would rather keep up with the other team than stop the other team.

Briggs and Urlacher were both pains their entire career. Play good, cry for more money. Get a new deal, play good, want another new deal. Those are not the traits of a great leader, but when Urlacher delivered on the field, thats all it took. Thats part of the current problem, they are selling fans that if you pay these players enough they are elite.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at you guys for thinking picking up a QB that is going to be awesome in 4-5 years in the next draft is easy.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is saying its easy, just that its time to try to make more of an effort to get a quality player not hoping to find the next Brady in the 6th round.

C

cubzzzfanincali

With this team- and with the "talent" that we have... we can't afford a first round Pick that sits. 2016...maybe. I would rather go the Dallas route and build up the Lines. Give me another Kyle Long or find a Suh type and that will help improve things.
They still have a window with the Offensive "stars". Drafting a QB... Best case he's "ready" in when? 2017. By then Forte isn't what he is now. Marshall is 2 years older/slower. Bushrod will be old... Briggs will be gone. Just more mediocrity 8-8.

I'm actually going to agree with you for once Joey. If you can't trade Cutler, then we shouldn't spend a high pick in 2015 on a QB. Of course, if we can swing a trade of Cutler, that changes everything, but assuming we can't, then it would be foolish for us to spend a high pick on a QB in '15. 2016 might be a different story, but now would be too soon.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Mariota is still on the board, the Bears would be crazy to draft a QB when they have an average starting QB already (who they've paid) and so many glaring weaknesses.

Mariota is special. We won't be bad enough to draft him, but if he's there, he is too good to pass up. Frankly, he's the best QB prospect I can ever recall. He's basically Andrew Luck without the tendency of staring down receivers.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is saying its easy, just that its time to try to make more of an effort to get a quality player not hoping to find the next Brady in the 6th round.

It will be interesting to see how Emery approaches this. I believe, based on the 2012 draft, that Emery allows input from the Coaching staff. If Trestman is happy with Jay, then I don't see the Bears grabbing a high draft pick QB. Now, if Trestment isn't, you could see a move. This could prove to be real interesting draft. We should be able to gauge Trestmen's sentiment pretty quickly.

I'm actually going to agree with you for once Joey. If you can't trade Cutler, then we shouldn't spend a high pick in 2015 on a QB. Of course, if we can swing a trade of Cutler, that changes everything, but assuming we can't, then it would be foolish for us to spend a high pick on a QB in '15. 2016 might be a different story, but now would be too soon.

I believe it is all about the quality of a player, where it is you're picking. If a QB is THE highest rated player and you're team is in need of one, then you pull the trigger. But if you're thinking Cam Newton when Clowney is sitting there, you take Clowney.

Wounded Bear

Pilgrim on a Moutain Top
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL at you guys for thinking picking up a QB that is going to be awesome in 4-5 years in the next draft is easy.

:L (I don't like using this emoticon, but it seemed appropriate)

This.