• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the plus side, if 5 Qbs go ahead of us somebody with value is dropping.
By someone with value I'd bet you mean a linemen. Your going to see some WRs go early this draft also, also some OT's ( as usual) so yeah there will be some good value at pick 16, course it could mean the Seahawks are stuck with Geno as their QB next two years as 2025 doesn't look promising for QBs. I find that depressing as hell.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By someone with value I'd bet you mean a linemen. Your going to see some WRs go early this draft also, also some OT's ( as usual) so yeah there will be some good value at pick 16, course it could mean the Seahawks are stuck with Geno as their QB next two years as 2025 doesn't look promising for QBs. I find that depressing as hell.

If the reason we don't take a QB at 16 is because they're all off the board, that means a ton of talent is falling to us and that's great for the team. It wouldn't be depressing at all to have a potential top 10 pick land in our laps because a desperate team reached.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the reason we don't take a QB at 16 is because they're all off the board, that means a ton of talent is falling to us and that's great for the team. It wouldn't be depressing at all to have a potential top 10 pick land in our laps because a desperate team reached.
It means one pick at some other position other than QB,WR or OT will fall to the Seahawks at pick 16 for some value(maybe), big deal. I'd prefer finding the QB of the future now rather then a couple of years or longer. Be a shame to waste the talent they all ready have, a lot of players we have now won't be on the roster a couple of years down the road.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard too 15 for Penix also from some folks, but it's all a guess especially this early. I've seen mocks where both Penix and Nix go ahead of the Seahawks pick.

I would be surprised if 5 QBs go in the top 15. Not shocked but surprised. If it happens, that means that there will be value at other positions.

The combine will have a big impact most likely as well.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if 5 QBs go in the top 15. Not shocked but surprised. If it happens, that means that there will be value at other positions.

The combine will have a big impact most likely as well.
I look at the draft board and it almost looks like a sure thing that at least 4 and maybe 5 QBs go in the top 15. 8 of the non play-off teams need a QB ( not including us here) and only 3 veteran FA signings possibly out there. Of course, some team could trade out of a high pick but I doubt it. Bears, Commies and Pats are almost forced into it right now with what is available. Broncos need to draft QB in all likelihood after they release Russ, which looks very likely. Then it gets muddy with the Raiders, Falcons either signing Russ or Cousins or trade for Fields but might draft QB too. Vikings, if they don't re-up Cousins almost have to draft a QB but I think they play it back with Kirk. Jets have to be thinking about a QB but maybe they try for Oline again. Can't see them taking a chance on a 40 year old Rodgers coming off an Achilles without a kid ready to step in or at least, learn watching A.R. Zack Wilson is done there, massive bust. So a slim chance maybe the 5th option drops to Seattle but that becomes who is that guy. Do we really want to draft a kid like McCarthy and pass up the better talent at other positions available? I don't know, just playing it out in my head but honestly, I trust J.S. to do the smart thing here. There may just be a kid in the mid rounds that none of us have seen. I just don't want the team wasting a pick just because of Geno's perceived shortcomings. In any case, any QB the Hawks draft is not starting day 1 and is learning behind Geno. I'm 99% sure of that

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I look at the draft board and it almost looks like a sure thing that at least 4 and maybe 5 QBs go in the top 15. 8 of the non play-off teams need a QB ( not including us here) and only 3 veteran FA signings possibly out there. Of course, some team could trade out of a high pick but I doubt it. Bears, Commies and Pats are almost forced into it right now with what is available. Broncos need to draft QB in all likelihood after they release Russ, which looks very likely. Then it gets muddy with the Raiders, Falcons either signing Russ or Cousins or trade for Fields but might draft QB too. Vikings, if they don't re-up Cousins almost have to draft a QB but I think they play it back with Kirk. Jets have to be thinking about a QB but maybe they try for Oline again. Can't see them taking a chance on a 40 year old Rodgers coming off an Achilles without a kid ready to step in or at least, learn watching A.R. Zack Wilson is done there, massive bust. So a slim chance maybe the 5th option drops to Seattle but that becomes who is that guy. Do we really want to draft a kid like McCarthy and pass up the better talent at other positions available? I don't know, just playing it out in my head but honestly, I trust J.S. to do the smart thing here. There may just be a kid in the mid rounds that none of us have seen. I just don't want the team wasting a pick just because of Geno's perceived shortcomings. In any case, any QB the Hawks draft is not starting day 1 and is learning behind Geno. I'm 99% sure of that

If the Bears draft Williams and the Broncos cut Wilson, that means there are 2 QBs out there that could fill a void.

Teams aren't going to draft a QB just to draft a QB. At least not with their 1st pick.

I would much rather take McCarthy over Nix.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

100%

I would also take him over Penix, too… I’m not that excited about Penix in general, which is why I hope he goes before our pick.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take mccarthy at 16 though? He is the biggest risk at qB in this class.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take mccarthy at 16 though? He is the biggest risk at qB in this class.

Definitely the highest ceiling/lowest floor option. IMO, his pro day is going to be a huge factor in where he gets drafted.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would also take him over Penix
ESPN has him as QB4 for whatever that is worth and Macdonald has a Michigan connection so I could see the Seahawks having some interest perhaps. He like some other QBs seems sort of polarizing some like him a lot and others see him as back up type in the NFL. He wasn't asked to do a lot in college which makes it harder to get a read on his abilities. Walterfootball scouting report on him:

1707150434766.png

Speaking for myself can not get excited about McCarthy from his body of work in college, for comparison Penix threw for 4903 yards and 36 TDs and 3 rushing TDs, those are stats I can get behind. He was leaned on by the Huskies unlike McCarthy who wasn't asked to do much perhaps because of issues mentioned above, his vision,late throwing down the middle (which is very dangerous), decision=making that can be careless and reckless. I realize Penix injury history makes him a risk, but he's been healthy while on the Huskies and has had outstanding success both team wise and his stats are obviously damn good.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN has him as QB4 for whatever that is worth and Macdonald has a Michigan connection so I could see the Seahawks having some interest perhaps. He like some other QBs seems sort of polarizing some like him a lot and others see him as back up type in the NFL. He wasn't asked to do a lot in college which makes it harder to get a read on his abilities. Walterfootball scouting report on him:

View attachment 353490

Speaking for myself can not get excited about McCarthy from his body of work in college, for comparison Penix threw for 4903 yards and 36 TDs and 3 rushing TDs, those are stats I can get behind. He was leaned on by the Huskies unlike McCarthy who wasn't asked to do much perhaps because of issues mentioned above, his vision,late throwing down the middle (which is very dangerous), decision=making that can be careless and reckless. I realize Penix injury history makes him a risk, but he's been healthy while on the Huskies and has had outstanding success both team wise and his stats are obviously damn good.

Michael Penix is 3 years older than McCarthy. His year 3 stats were 1645 yards on 56% completion percentage with 14 TDs and 4 picks.

It's fine if you think Penix is the better pick. He might be. But comparing their stats isn't useful given how much more experience one player has over the other.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Penix is 3 years older than McCarthy. His year 3 stats were 1645 yards on 56% completion percentage with 14 TDs and 4 picks.

It's fine if you think Penix is the better pick. He might be. But comparing their stats isn't useful given how much more experience one player has over the other.
McCarty should stay in college and get that experience then, because right now he doesn't look the part of a NFL starting QB and another year of college could help his draft stock, 2025 QB class being weak could elevate him.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McCarty should stay in college and get that experience then, because right now he doesn't look the part of a NFL starting QB and another year of college could help his draft stock, 2025 QB class being weak could elevate him.

While I agree that he should have stayed another year, the fact that he is being looked at as a potential 1st round pick kinda flies in the fact of your claim that he doesn't look the part of a starting QB. He won a national title as 20 year old and was 29-1 as a starter.

You are way too focused on stats.

Look at the following 5 stat lines

3608 yrds, 63% completion, 8.4 ypa, 24 TDs, 9 Ints
3517 yards, 71.3% completion, 8.7 ypa, 37 TDs, 10 ints
1812 yards, 56.3% completion, 6.7 ypa, 16 TDs, 6 Ints
2991 yards, 72% completion, 9.0 ypa, 22 TDs, 4 ints

2 of these lines are in this draft. The other is a former Pro Bowl QB and the other is a current Pro Bowl QB.

College offenses vary WILDLY based on the system they are in. If you put Patrick Mahomes into the Michigan offense, his stats would look downright pedestrian A) the Wolverines had an elite running game and B) the best defense in football.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree that he should have stayed another year, the fact that he is being looked at as a potential 1st round pick kinda flies in the fact of your claim that he doesn't look the part of a starting QB. He won a national title as 20 year old and was 29-1 as a starter.

2 of these lines are in this draft. The other is a former Pro Bowl QB and the other is a current Pro Bowl QB.

College offenses vary WILDLY based on the system they are in. If you put Patrick Mahomes into the Michigan offense, his stats would look downright pedestrian A) the Wolverines had an elite running game and B) the best defense in football.
Do you see him as a day 1 starter? I think he should sit a year or even two, but i have a hard time accepting that if he goes round 1. He should go round 2 or 3.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't think he'll go in round 1, in fact I could see the Seahawks hoping he falls to them in round 3 if they miss out on a QB round 1.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you see him as a day 1 starter? I think he should sit a year or even two, but i have a hard time accepting that if he goes round 1. He should go round 2 or 3.

Well I think Geno will be our day 1 starter barring something truly unexpected. Thus, we are actually a pretty good team for McCarthy because he is so young. It worked out ok for Mahomes.

If JS thinks that McCarthy is a 1st round talent then he should take him. Same is true of any other QB that falls to the Hawks.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he'll go in round 1, in fact I could see the Seahawks hoping he falls to them in round 3 if they miss out on a QB round 1.

I have no idea where he will go but 3rd round seems EXTREMELY optimistic.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea where he will go but 3rd round seems EXTREMELY optimistic.
Seahawks don't have a 2nd round pick so if they miss out on a QB round 1 then round 3 is their next chance if they choose to go that route. May be they just try to draft BPA since they have multiple needs this draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks don't have a 2nd round pick so if they miss out on a QB round 1 then round 3 is their next chance if they choose to go that route. May be they just try to draft BPA since they have multiple needs this draft.

Sure. They will have their own grade for McCarthy. Could be 1st round. Could be 2nd. Could be 3rd. Same is true of Penix and Nix. I'm cool with whatever they choose at QB.

As I said last year, and I think it is even more true this year, I trust JS to only pick a QB if he truly believes that the player is worth it. I have full faith in him doing the right thing at QB. Certainly moreso than other positions like interior lineman.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 353490

Penix injury has no factor on how I view him... He was hardly touched as a QB in college last year... I wanted to see a game where he had to go to 2nd and 3rd options because he really never had to do that yet up to the Michigan game this season... In the Michigan game, he was finally under consistent duress during a game and he struggle.. That was the one question I had for him and I don't feel like he answered it for me... Just one game but it was a big game where he didn't answer my question...