• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Qb Mariota

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't count the Jurgensen for Snead trade in1964, Washington has never traded for a top notch signal caller. Their trademark efforts in this regards have always been about getting second tier or players entering the downside of their careers. Honestly, I cannot think of another trade for a QB in that mold. Perhaps I'm missing one, so, in order to stand correct on this, if you can think of another I'll stipulate to your memory/ research. As I recall, when great or young great players become available, Washington almost always pass. See: Albert Haynesworth for the exception in modern times.

BTW: when was the last time a young, top 5 ranked, 2nd best QB in the game has ever been available or subject to trade? Hint: DW is the first!
Watson is not available. The new GM came out again last night and affirmed they are not trading him. IF that is what you are waiting for, then you are going to be disappointed.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what is this different way? We've tried drafting them. We have signed them as FAs. We have traded for them. None have worked out. What's next, grow them at home?
Just to add a few thing specifically about these methods:

1. "We've tried drafting them."... I cannot disagree with this but in context, drafting them means building the team in a manner that enhances their
strengths not as Washington has done with their plug and play efforts.

2. "We have signed them as FA's"... Again agree, but who were they and how did they fit into what was here? Most were fading veterans and
journeymen, the rest second tier guys.

3. "We have traded for them." ... Answered in my first response, so, no we really haven't.

4. "Grow them at home." ... This should please a friend, so, outside of Kirk Cousins, when did this team ever attempt to either draft a home grown
QB AND patiently develop him, Or, draft a guy and patiently develop him? I'm sure that you've been reading these posts
and like me, can recall the impatience to play them way too soon, despite numerous HC's stating that this one or that
one "isn't ready." I still feel bad for Patrick Ramsey and what Spurrier and Gibbs did to him but hey that's our history!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson is not available. The new GM came out again last night and affirmed they are not trading him. IF that is what you are waiting for, then you are going to be disappointed.
Not waiting for anyone in particular, I mentioned these guys because they are the upgraded types from Heinicke that make this offense truly dynamic. Heinicke proved how dynamic this offense can be, those guys would take it to another level. The team is looking at MM because he is a "type." I do not understand why anyone can't get with that perspective.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we traded for both McNabb and Smith. Unfortunately these are the types of QBs that are usually available for trade. Ones that usually carry a big contract that can't live up to the value anymore. No one is trading away a franchise QB in their prime.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MM should go to Minnesota...
Interesting!! So what does Minnesota do with Kirk Cousins? This feels like you're suggesting that the first round of musical QB's is about to start

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota's contract is a nightmare. He has a 60% snap clause for everythiung. Plus he gets huge bonuses for every win. If he had been the Patriots Quarterback last year and they finished at 7-9 like they did, MM would have gotten $22.7M. If the team finishes at say 10-6 in 2021, you'll be on the hook for almost $27M. The Pats let Brady go because they couldn't pay him $25M, you think they'll bring in Mariota and finish like they did in 2020 and be able to ever justify paying him that kind of money to lose??

That and he's won 8 games in the last 3 years? jeeezzzuuzzzz. The WFT can have him. I'll take Cam for another year.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the WFT had added Tom Brady at the beginning of the season, then I would bet that they would have at the very least, won more games than they lost.

Adding Brady would have also added Gronk, and added a demanding, relentless perfectionist to the qb room.

It also would have added any number of free agents who would have signed with the WFT sImply bc Tom was here - fournette, antonio brown, etc.

Tom Brady by himself would have netted the WFT two games, and the extra players might have netted more.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse me but where are the multiple SB's that these guys played in? One and done is for losers! Good to get there and all of that but the trick is getting back or at worse close year in and year out.

Of course the owner is a lil' shit, but that doesn't excuse the men who are hired to do a job but won't stand up to the asshole preventing them from doing just that. Think about that for a moment, If he meddles you're going to be fired for losing, if you stand up to him you're going to be fired, it's a lose-lose situation so you might as well do it your way.

It's NOT that these named QB's weren't "sexy enough" but rather the dysfunction here, and its absence elsewhere gave them the opportunity to have that season of a lifetime. Kirk is, and has been a middle of the pack QB. He might still find himself on a SB team and exactly like the others mentioned his appearance will be because of the team around him and not because his agency made the difference. I cannot speak for others and I really don't care how some choose to characterize what I'm looking for at QB but when other teams can find their guy, is it really that foreign to this board that I want Washington to sack up and do the same thing here?

Finally you wrote the team's tagline "yes try for a QB, but if it doesn't happen this year then go to the next" when exactly does this merry-go-round stop in D.C.? This team, in its quest to get their QB hasn't hit on one because they ultimately settle for stinkweed or middle of the road guys thinking that limited stability is good enough without realizing that the slug they have needs a superior team around him to win. Failing that, the question is...since 1991-1992, how's that worked out for them?
brad johnson thiesman williams rypien won superbowls

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota's contract is a nightmare. He has a 60% snap clause for everythiung. Plus he gets huge bonuses for every win. If he had been the Patriots Quarterback last year and they finished at 7-9 like they did, MM would have gotten $22.7M. If the team finishes at say 10-6 in 2021, you'll be on the hook for almost $27M. The Pats let Brady go because they couldn't pay him $25M, you think they'll bring in Mariota and finish like they did in 2020 and be able to ever justify paying him that kind of money to lose??

That and he's won 8 games in the last 3 years? jeeezzzuuzzzz. The WFT can have him. I'll take Cam for another year.
Maybe I'm crazy because my mom is from Boston, but....really how cringe was Cam or would he have been better with a proper camp, and edelman and at least one more legit WR?
I think it was the bills year, but Pats woulda had a better record.
Oh BTW, if you don't want MM, we don't either lol

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, I'm completely missing your point.
i might very well be . my point is you dont need an elite qb to go to or win super bowls . what your point is i am not sure and i am not trying to be a dick .

i think you want a DW type or a RW type . a top tier qb . well your first option is to draft one and hope RR is allowed to train him properly .
the 2nd one is to trade for one and neither of them are available

the 3rd is to sign one and the guy is DAK . is he something you can get behind ?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i might very well be . my point is you dont need an elite qb to go to or win super bowls . what your point is i am not sure and i am not trying to be a dick .

i think you want a DW type or a RW type . a top tier qb . well your first option is to draft one and hope RR is allowed to train him properly .
the 2nd one is to trade for one and neither of them are available

the 3rd is to sign one and the guy is DAK . is he something you can get behind ?
Got it, Thanks!

My contention with the names that you mentioned is that they all were one and done when it came to the SB. A young top 5, top 9 gun gives you the opportunity to have multiple visits to the big game because you can retool rather than rebuild with a guy like that on hand. Theesman (yeah I know) was the only one amon g them that any chance at all of returning to the big dance but his career ended on that fateful play.

I do want a DW, RW type and judging who's now being targeted (Mariota) I believe that this is the type that Rivera and Co. are seeking as well. In fact, in a thread not so long ago, I outlined the coming shift towards mobile QB leaguewide.

Would love to have Dak, he might not be as dramatic as DW or to a lesser extent RW but he can certainly scoot when things break down. I can't say for certain but it seems to me that Ron Rivera looked at his offense with Taylor Heinicke at the helm and likely thought to himself, "we need that!" Imagine this offense with a top 5 -9 version of Heinicke!

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington needs a QB... :P
LOL..Been there, done that with KC. Washington needs to hit the QB lottery, those small 5 and ten dollar hits are nice but they usually represent less return than the original investment, metaphorically speaking.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i cant see KC coming back to DC . the ABCers would have a damn cow
Neither can I, that would be like going back to the wife who tried to kill you! (husband for the ladies):D

Last edited:

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minnesota is loaded and still sucks
C'mon now, Kirk's a good QB, but in today's NFL he lacks that added dimension that puts teams over the top. IT IS NOT his fault being who he is or living in a time where standard pocket QB's are becoming more and more rare. I like Kirk, but I'm a realist, he is who he is.