• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB Competition

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kap looked good at times last night and had some bad throws. But it was against backups and he had mostly a clean pocket all day. Not going to get that during the season.
Yes but he was also playing with the back ups. We saw 2 drop passes by the receivers. Plus 2 Big time Penalties that he continued to drive down the field 2 out of 3 times. He also didnt let up a sack. I mean he was playing with martin in the game. I also agree he did have a throw almost picked up but u can see he runs the offense the best out of the 3 QBs. The decision for kelly will be either play it safe with Gabbert or go with the more talented QB that gives you some scary moments and has some off the field issues. That will come down to Kelly.

Sidenote: I really like what Kelly is doing. Compared to last year this offense is so much better. Defense scares me but like some people said it was the back ups. 2nd string D struggles a little. 3rd string was really bad.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the QB competition is over. I don't see anyway that Gabbert won't start on day 1. After those first 3 or 4 games, though, we could see Kap come in to try to spark the team.

It was an easy one for me. Kap should be able to easily beat out Gabbert for a QB job. He should be a clear winner. The results speak for themselves--he wasn't the clear winner.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the QB competition is over. I don't see anyway that Gabbert won't start on day 1. After those first 3 or 4 games, though, we could see Kap come in to try to spark the team.

It was an easy one for me. Kap should be able to easily beat out Gabbert for a QB job. He should be a clear winner. The results speak for themselves--he wasn't the clear winner.
I thought he was the winner but I agree it wasnt clear. Gabbert didnt play any good games had 1 ok game and kap had 1 good to great game (last night) and 1 bad game(his 1st start in almost a year). How I look at it who ran the offense better and that was Kap. But I agree with you that Gabbert will be named the starter. Also Kap missing 2 games hurt his chances. Gabbert overall had the advantage and i think start the season as the starter but Kap will become the starter with in the 1st 4 games once Kelly sees that we arent scoring with Gabbert in the game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there is a difference between QB competition and good QB play. the competition is settled going into the season, granted it may or may not change along the way?

we will not get good QB play no matter who the QB. i AM hoping it rises from 'no hope' to 'below average', maybe even 'average'? But Gabbert winning the competition doesn't equate to good QB play. Even if Kaep takes over during the season, the quality isn't going to jump up.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is a difference between QB competition and good QB play. the competition is settled going into the season, granted it may or may not change along the way?

we will not get good QB play no matter who the QB. i AM hoping it rises from 'no hope' to 'below average', maybe even 'average'? But Gabbert winning the competition doesn't equate to good QB play. Even if Kaep takes over during the season, the quality isn't going to jump up.
I agree, Doesn't matter who the QB is. The future Qb is not on this team.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why should Kaep 'easily beat out Gabbert?' If anything, I believe we are simply seeing another example of a one trick pony exposed for what they are.......and Colin himself has been in decline every year since the SB. I get it....Gabbert isn't the answer, but it doesn't surprise me in the least that Kaepernick has fallen below that level.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabbert named the starter. No surprise here. Kelly played it safe. We also traded for a WR from KC. Skeeter. Still shocked Rush didn't make this team.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driskel was picked up by the Bengals. We should have kept him and cut Kaepernick.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Driskel was picked up by the Bengals. We should have kept him and cut Kaepernick.

Yep, is awfully striking that sam fucking bradford is worth a 1st and a 4th but we could not get anything for kap. I think it shows how much he is valued through out the league. We should of kept driskel on the team, so we can begin grooming someone for chip's system because i only see him lasting two years here anyway before being fired.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, is awfully striking that sam fucking bradford is worth a 1st and a 4th but we could not get anything for kap. I think it shows how much he is valued through out the league. We should of kept driskel on the team, so we can begin grooming someone for chip's system because i only see him lasting two years here anyway before being fired.

I think we coulda got a 4th from Denver, but Kaepernick wouldn't redo his deal or SF wouldn't pay a big part of it after the trade or something like that....but yeah...

I would've went Gabbert/Ponder/Driskel just to be done with.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really doesn't matter as the future QB is not on this roster. It's a dire situation when Gabbert is your starting QB. I see the Niners winning no more than 5 games this season. Hopefully worse so Niners can get the 1st pick next year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

keeping Ponder is more looking ahead to next season. Gabbert's contract ends in March, and we likely won't re-sign him at 'starter money'. Kaep is on his way out too, before his next contract kicks in. So we keep Ponder as another bridge to the next QB.

Not declaring he'll start next season, but be that veteran presence should we not retain both Gabbert and Kaep.

Had Driskell flashed anything, then he would've stayed. But he didn't show enough passing skills to warrant keeping him. I'd think he would've made the PS had he not be claimed. anyway, next draft i'm sure they will be other '6th round' prospects

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything, you would think they'd try and retain Driskel simply for developmental purposes, cause as it stands now, SF has nobody.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really doesn't matter as the future QB is not on this roster. It's a dire situation when Gabbert is your starting QB. I see the Niners winning no more than 5 games this season. Hopefully worse so Niners can get the 1st pick next year.
Gotta agree here. Next draft pick a fuckin' QB damnit! :gaah: I'm sick a this castoff QB picks approach. Time to invest in the future and this team needs a true leader on the offense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotta agree here. Next draft pick a fuckin' QB damnit! :gaah: I'm sick a this castoff QB picks approach. Time to invest in the future and this team needs a true leader on the offense.

but its not just drafting a QB, it has to be the right QB. we all wanted Goff not long ago, but where is he now?

i would even trade up for a QB, but it needs to be the right choice.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If anything, you would think they'd try and retain Driskel simply for developmental purposes, cause as it stands now, SF has nobody.

it makes sense to keep Ponder, cause he outplayed Driskell despite being way behind the curve. Planning ahead to next season, having this veteran presence is important. Similar to having Gabbert around when Kaep went SOUTH.

Driskel is a 6th round pick, would've been nice but he didn't flash anything? Can't force it if its not there, or will take years to pan out.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it makes sense to keep Ponder, cause he outplayed Driskell despite being way behind the curve. Planning ahead to next season, having this veteran presence is important. Similar to having Gabbert around when Kaep went SOUTH.

Driskel is a 6th round pick, would've been nice but he didn't flash anything? Can't force it if its not there, or will take years to pan out.

Driskel was showing improvement until his outing with SD where he stunk up the joint. They took him in the 6th round, so as the position itself is one of the more difficult ones to master, I think he deserved at least a full years worth of work with the team. I have no problem with going with Gabbert/Ponder and leaving Driskel as the third, and if something happened to both 1/2, they simply sign a vet to finish out the year.

I just don't like the notion that SF has nobody that they are working with towards the future unless Kelly truly believes someone already on the roster is that guy. Like I said....I believe one way or another, Kaepernick will be starting sometime this year.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but its not just drafting a QB, it has to be the right QB. we all wanted Goff not long ago, but where is he now?

i would even trade up for a QB, but it needs to be the right choice.

Goff is third string. I would not have minded taking Goff in the first round had he fallen to us. When the Rams and Philly traded up to the 1st and 2nd picks, they threw everything out of whack with the QBs. Goff was seen during draft time as the most polished of a group of projects and a weak QB draft class. He was not projected to be a high first round pick, and it was thought that he needs work and time to develop so it is not surprising he has struggled thus far. Way too early to say he won't pan out.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
keeping Ponder is more looking ahead to next season. Gabbert's contract ends in March, and we likely won't re-sign him at 'starter money'. Kaep is on his way out too, before his next contract kicks in. So we keep Ponder as another bridge to the next QB.

Not declaring he'll start next season, but be that veteran presence should we not retain both Gabbert and Kaep.

Had Driskell flashed anything, then he would've stayed. But he didn't show enough passing skills to warrant keeping him. I'd think he would've made the PS had he not be claimed. anyway, next draft i'm sure they will be other '6th round' prospects

I could see keeping Gabbert for a longer period. Unless he has some sort of a breakout season, he isn't going to command a huge salary and the 49ers don't currently have someone to develop on the roster. Plus the 49ers have a ton of cap room.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I could see keeping Gabbert for a longer period. Unless he has some sort of a breakout season, he isn't going to command a huge salary and the 49ers don't currently have someone to develop on the roster. Plus the 49ers have a ton of cap room.

Yeah, not to say Gabbert is gone for sure, but having Ponder doesn't put Baalke in a "NY Jet" situation.

Say Gabbert does play about NFL average, wouldn't he seek at least a two year contract around $12M/year? So my questions is......would we want to give him a contract like this?