• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Proof NFC Championship Niners vs. Giants Rigged "Forward Progress" Call Warrants Cons

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you been taking lessons from TrueNiner on the definition of "proof"?

Evidence? Absolutely.

Compelling? Yup.

Proof? Nope.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I thought trueniner only irritated the guys on the hockey board :D Always a conspiracy against the sharks and some of the worst posts I've ever read :L

crash

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You can't change the outcome of the game cause it's already over but the ref's should of never blew the whistle so early and there is a enough proof it was a bad call. This is only a matter of opinion that is why i posted it...i wanted to see what people had to say!!

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Watching it again. I had thought it was a 50/50 call.

Now I see we got shafted. Goldson flies by after making some contact. 26 lets go of him before he is even down. You have seen some plays where a RB or Tebow will spin out of that and put a hand in the ground to keep balance and then run forward for more yards.
Bowman strips the ball while Bradshaw is almost completely free of 49er contact and just started falling down/back.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe people actually defended the call. It was not a forward progress stopping tackle. He broke the first tackle and was trying to break the second. He then goes down and fumbles the ball at the same time. While players are jumping on the loose ball the ref blows the whistle and calls forward progress. Of course his forward progress had stopped by that point because he no longer had the ball.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really nothing they could do at that point, non reviewable. But thanks for reminding me and making me even more mad, clearly a fumble.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really nothing they could do at that point, non reviewable. But thanks for reminding me and making me even more mad, clearly a fumble.

Yeah, after seeing it again, it happened a lot faster than I remember. It seemed like slow motion when it happened last weekend.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't watched the video yet, but the text at the beginning seems wrong. Forward progress, in my experience, is most often called when RBs have the ball. I don't know what inspired the rule, but I've always figured it was one of the earlier rules that arose when a defense might literally pick up an offensive player and carry him back several yards (can't you just picture that in some of the clips from the '20s?). And I don't think safety is the primary concern. I think forcing a late fumble is.

My recollection of this play was that Bowman ripped the ball out as Bradshaw was falling backward from a single hit. I think it's a close call, but blowing it dead and calling it unreviewable seemed kind of bogus. At the least, they should have had to review it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It really was a pretty bam-bam play. And Bradshaw is laying on top of Goldson the entire time. If he retained possession, he could have kept running.

I think it was a bad call, and just a huge one in the game, but despite that call, we had ample opportunity to win. That's part of what makes the loss so hard. We absolutely SHOULD have won this one.

AU_Fever

The secret of getting ahead is getting started.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was maddening to watch that play again. Everything fell for the Niners. A great comeback win against the Saints and playing at home for the NFC championship. Defense was outstanding, but the offense just couldn't sustain enough drives.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, although it sucks that the defense did more than enough to win this game. The offense and special teams did more to lose the game than the officials did to help the Giants win by being quick on the whistle with this play.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, although it sucks that the defense did more than enough to win this game. The offense and special teams did more to lose the game than the officials did to help the Giants win by being quick on the whistle with this play.

Quantity over quality, I guess. The refs blowing the whistle early had more of a qualitative, efficient but-for cause. If I shot someone falling off the Empire State building midfall, I caused the death, even if the fall would have done it. If I shoot an already dead man, I was not the cause. There's a difference between a cause and the but-for clause. Williams second fumble had more effect quality wise, too, but it was the but-for cause of their win, not our loss (because we might not have scored on the potential possession). First fumble we should have overcome based upon time left. The offense had more quantity of course. Since the offense did get two TD passes and a must score FG, they did a better job than special teams, even without the fumble. The offense is always going to have more opportunities than special teams, considering a lot of the time there are touchbacks. We will after every game say the offense could do more. We had 15 first downs, they had 20.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quantity over quality, I guess. The refs blowing the whistle early had more of a qualitative, efficient but-for cause. If I shot someone falling off the Empire State building midfall, I caused the death, even if the fall would have done it. If I shoot an already dead man, I was not the cause. There's a difference between a cause and the but-for clause. Williams second fumble had more effect quality wise, too, but it was the but-for cause of their win, not our loss (because we might not have scored on the potential possession). First fumble we should have overcome based upon time left. The offense had more quantity of course. Since the offense did get two TD passes and a must score FG, they did a better job than special teams, even without the fumble. The offense is always going to have more opportunities than special teams, considering a lot of the time there are touchbacks. We will after every game say the offense could do more. We had 15 first downs, they had 20.

Ran out of time to edit, so I quoted my own post.

But for means that the [harm] would not have happened but for (if not for) the xxxxx. We would have won, IMO, but for the early whistle. I think that was the wrong call. I wouldn't join the conspirators, as in rigging the game, I'd just say it was a blown call that had the biggest, most direct effect on the game, even more than special teams or offense. Akers could miss, Gore could fumble but my bet is a win there. Better offense would result in deeper risks that could pay off for the Giants. I've seen too many 6 yard passes turning into 80 yard TDs from them. They were aggressive but would be even more if they had to catch up. A known situation (17-17 withe 2:21 left) is preferable to what could have been a 36-32 game with 2:21 left.

The other "causes" are not but for causes. Without the first fumble our win would be more likely but not generally assured. Without the second fumble the Giants wouldn't won right then, but it wouldn't have given us the win. Bradshaw's fumble would have given us the game, IMO. If nothing else, would have made a greater difference, in which we could tell Skip Bayless that he was right, Bradshaw was the difference.

The missed Walker non-pass, the overthrown/underun Williams pass, and a potential Crabtree catch would be huge, but not a but-for cause. Yes, timing in the game effects this classification, naturally because you play until time runs out (or sudden death).

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously, I would love better offense, but it wouldn't have been more assured than having the ball around the 20 in a tie game with time to run the clock down and score a FG.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really was a pretty bam-bam play. And Bradshaw is laying on top of Goldson the entire time. If he retained possession, he could have kept running.

I think it was a bad call, and just a huge one in the game, but despite that call, we had ample opportunity to win. That's part of what makes the loss so hard. We absolutely SHOULD have won this one.

Man, listening to Herm Edwards this morning talk about how in his 30 years of football in the NFL (playing and coaching) he lost a Superbowl, lost an AFC and NFC Championship game and that was it. He made the playoffs other times, but it really goes to show you that when you are that close you really have to get it done. He said they had a really good Eagles team and he figured he would be back there, but got bounced in the first round the next year. Who knows.... this could be the only time a lot of these guys even sniff the Superbowl.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, listening to Herm Edwards this morning talk about how in his 30 years of football in the NFL (playing and coaching) he lost a Superbowl, lost an AFC and NFC Championship game and that was it. He made the playoffs other times, but it really goes to show you that when you are that close you really have to get it done. He said they had a really good Eagles team and he figured he would be back there, but got bounced in the first round the next year. Who knows.... this could be the only time a lot of these guys even sniff the Superbowl.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no whistle and all indications were that it was a fumble. then the refs were like, but the giants will lose, better rule forward progress ended the play.

it was bullshit like the saints timeout after the play.

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too close to call. Three Niners in contact with him and he was going backward when the ball came out. When watching the game, with a biased eye obviously, I thought it was a fumble but seeing it several times now, I'm OK with the call. It could have gone either way and unfortunately it didn't go ours.