• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Problems with our passing offense

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have speed?

And aside from being small, LMJ and Sproles have nothing in common. Just because you're small and quick doesn't mean you can be Darren Sproles.

i type so fast, ppl at work call me darren sproles

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Screens don't fit as part of 49ers' power game | CSN Bay Area

I get that the screen game is never going to be our bread and butter but I still feel they should still be part of our offense and we can do a waaaayy better job executing them.

Sure our offensive linemen are geared toward the power game but that doesn't mean they are so unathletic they can't handle screens. I mean we have them pull and try to get to the next level all the time so it's not like they are lumbering Oxes that can't move.

It seems to me is we just don't practice enough to be even functional at it. Screens require a certain timing and being in sync with the guys around you to be good at it.

When we run screens it just seems like the lineman run out there and aren't in sync with each other and unsure about what to do.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
staley is awesome blocking in space. on goal line stands imo he'd be great at full back

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I get that the screen game is never going to be our bread and butter but I still feel they should still be part of our offense and we can do a waaaayy better job executing them.

Sure our offensive linemen are geared toward the power game but that doesn't mean they are so unathletic they can't handle screens. I mean we have them pull and try to get to the next level all the time so it's not like they are lumbering Oxes that can't move.

It seems to me is we just don't practice enough to be even functional at it. Screens require a certain timing and being in sync with the guys around you to be good at it.

When we run screens it just seems like the lineman run out there and aren't in sync with each other and unsure about what to do.

Yeah, that article doesn't resonate with me at all. If anything, we should be more successful running screens as a power running team because other teams don't expect it. We need to show our OL some film of NO's OL running screens. Slow it down. It's not just about sprinting outside. Adding some short, outside passes with big play potential would really help this offense.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, that article doesn't resonate with me at all. If anything, we should be more successful running screens as a power running team because other teams don't expect it. We need to show our OL some film of NO's OL running screens. Slow it down. It's not just about sprinting outside. Adding some short, outside passes with big play potential would really help this offense.

And our power game is not all that powerful. I think we are one of the league leaders in 3 and outs because our power running game on first down often = 2nd and 9. We are way too vanilla at this point and Hunter/LMJ on screens sounds like a great change of pace.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree about not attempting to practice and get good at screen plays. I would think this would be a plus for Kap as well as he tends to throw quick darts....a fast play other teams will find hard to defend.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And our power game is not all that powerful. I think we are one of the league leaders in 3 and outs because our power running game on first down often = 2nd and 9. We are way too vanilla at this point and Hunter/LMJ on screens sounds like a great change of pace.

Currently 25th in 3-and-outs/drive.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Currently 25th in 3-and-outs/drive.

26th out of 32 = one of the worst. Not the worst but close. Does that correlate well with a great power running team? To me it does not: I would think a great power running team would generally get a lot of yards running on first and second down, setting up relatively easy conversions. What I see from us is a lot of 0, 1, and 2 yard runs on first down, a lot.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Passing game did look better today.

A lot of the credit goes to Kap as his accuracy was pretty dead on. If he can be that accurate and that dangerous with his legs we're going to be a very tough team to beat in the playoffs.

And some credit goes to Roman and staff as it's probably the most we've tried to mix it up all season. Empty sets, trying to get LMJ and Hunter the ball in their hands, and overall it just seemed like we opened up some unused chapter in the playbook today.

If I had some gripes I still feel we need some more 3 step drop and balls out kind of pass plays as most of our pass plays are slow to develop.

The variety was much better though and it did seem to keep the Bucs off balanced so I hope that trend continues.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
26th out of 32 = one of the worst. Not the worst but close. Does that correlate well with a great power running team? To me it does not: I would think a great power running team would generally get a lot of yards running on first and second down, setting up relatively easy conversions. What I see from us is a lot of 0, 1, and 2 yard runs on first down, a lot.

We're still a great power running team it's just the issue has been when defenses know it's coming and sell out to stop it they are going to be successful in stopping it more often than naught.

Like today when we were stuffed a couple of times on 3rd and 1 the defense knew exactly what was coming because we run it up the middle in nearly every 3 and short situations.

When we run all 22 personnel or bring in extra linemen we need to run other things than just hand the ball off to Gore to keep defenses honest. All it's doing is bring in extra bodies to clog up running lanes and the only reason why we get something out of those runs is because Gore has elite vision.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

if he's trying to disprove it, IMO not a good job? he needs to focus more on the screens that were run, why they failed and how it'll be fixed? then besides Hunter and LMJ, focus on why individual linemen CAN execute screens?

if we insert Hunter and LMJ to open up screens, aren't we still "telegraphing" our plays? aren't we then telling defenses we're not going to the "power run"? to combat this, are we then going to run Hunter between the tackles?

how many screens should we call in a game....typically?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if he's trying to disprove it, IMO not a good job? he needs to focus more on the screens that were run, why they failed and how it'll be fixed? then besides Hunter and LMJ, focus on why individual linemen CAN execute screens?

if we insert Hunter and LMJ to open up screens, aren't we still "telegraphing" our plays? aren't we then telling defenses we're not going to the "power run"? to combat this, are we then going to run Hunter between the tackles?

we 'telegraph' half of gore's runs up the middle.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
we 'telegraph' half of gore's runs up the middle.

those plays clearly show Gore isn't always going up the middle? it also shows the blocking schemes are varied, so knowing its a run, and knowing where the blockers are, are different matters. but again, most fans can't see the details so...........we call it 'running up the middle'........and 'telegraphing our runs'....

most run plays by ALL teams don't get 5 yards a pop, but running is necessary. we happen to be better at it than most, so we lean run.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
one more thing, earlier when we lost two in a row, what did we start to read here?

hey, why don't the 49ers go back to their staple.........power running? why did we get away from our identity? etc. etc.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I think we should run Hunter up the middle more. "Power running" isn't usually used to describe the RB, it's all about the blockers. Hunter is quite versatile, and can be effective running inside and outside. I'd like to see us make better use of him.

Focusing more on the screens we've run would only do so much, as we've run literally only five all year.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

It's exactly what I've been saying.

The only reason we're not good at it is because we don't run it enough to be good at it.

It's something we should have because of not only the homerun threat but because it keeps defenses off balance and prevents them from over committing to one thing which in our case is the running game.

Mixing it up and keeping defenses on their toes is just one area we've really struggled with this season.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's exactly what I've been saying.

The only reason we're not good at it is because we don't run it enough to be good at it.

It's something we should have because of not only the homerun threat but because it keeps defenses off balance and prevents them from over committing to one thing which in our case is the running game.

Mixing it up and keeping defenses on their toes is just one area we've really struggled with this season.

yup sometimes we've been so predictable i think knapp is calling the plays again

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yup sometimes we've been so predictable i think knapp is calling the plays again

How about the "rat" (coach Sing's regime)…not Jimmy Raye, the other guy that replaced Raye. What was his name again I forgot?