• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Problems with our passing offense

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm not sure why anyone would have thought that about him. He throws darts with no air under them. His ability was and still is to get out of a jam and run the ball. If the 9ers want a pocket passer then they picked wrong guy.

Then they need to pick a new one. An NFL QB needs to be a pocket passer first and foremost. If he can't do that, he won't last as a starting QB in the league.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Incidentally, I disagree that he can't throw with touch. He is at his best throwing darts, but he has shown a fair bit of improvement putting some air under his balls when the situation calls for it.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kaepernick should be captain cant check down cause that is the problem with the offense right now. The guy responsible for defending the RB is leaving him to spy on Kaepernick. Once he figures out how to throw to the open RB that will open up running lanes and passing down the field. Plus get rid of negative yards on those plays.

I honestly don't think it makes much sense that Colin Kaepernick doesn't want to check it down. It's a high percentage pass that gives us a chance to move the chains and I think he'll gladly take that. I think it's a combination of him 1) missing the safety valve and 2) the coaches not calling/designing enough short passes.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree on our running game. Gore held to 31 yards on 13 carries ,total rushing net of 76 yards. Pathetic for 9ers football. Teams just stack the box and will always know that the 9ers will run on the first down. This was against the 'Skins. Imagine when we face a top ten defense. I say Kap needs to do what he does best and stop thinking he can be a pocket passer. Unleash the fury!

I agree with Crimson. If we don't think Kaep can be a consistent pocket passer, we should starting looking at QBs yesterday.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He is being told to hold off on running I'm sure. What I am not sure of is how good a passing QB he can be. The bottom line for this year is just let him do his thing. No more time for training.

yeah, they've eliminated read option plays but knowing who our back-up QB's are, i'm ok with it. so you think we should implement more called running plays for Kaep, so he can 'unleash'?

regarding passing plays, still feel its mostly on him not unleashing? he did better on Monday so we'll see if that's the upward trend, or just how Washington aligned their D?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
One issue to add is I believe we use the Jumbo formation way too much.

There is a reason why teams mainly use it for short yardage and that's because the formation invites the defense to crowd the LOS and cripples your ability to pass.

It also limits what you can change the play into because even if the defense screams "pass on us" you don't have the right personnel to really effectively do it.

I love Miller but he should not be our 3rd leading receiver and he shouldn't even be in position too. I would much rather see LMJ catching a check down or quick pass because you at least have some chance for a big play that you won't have with Miller.

In general if you watch the Saints and how they operate on offense it's woefully obvious the vast difference in pass play design, execution, and call. Sure having Brees helps but the design of the plays gets guys open and gives Brees quite a few easy throws and they do a way better job of using their talents. I seriously doubt LMJ would be running up the guy on 3rd and 2 in the Saint's offense.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to remember he did really well as a pocket passer at times last year.

Same here. Actually thought that part was vastly overlooked because how good running he was. I still think he is and will get better with some more experience. It's never a bad idea to always be looking for the next best quarterback. But I believe kap is the guy.

Part of me wonders how baalke views him tho. I'm pretty sure kap is Harbs guy.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm definitely not saying Kaepernick can't be a pocket passer. I think he can be. Hell, earlier in the year, I argued that's an area where he was already better than Wilson and had more upside - though I'm no longer so sure of that.... But if the FO and coaching staff agrees with Darken that he isn't/can't be a pocket passer, they need to move on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm definitely not saying Kaepernick can't be a pocket passer. I think he can be. Hell, earlier in the year, I argued that's an area where he was already better than Wilson and had more upside - though I'm no longer so sure of that.... But if the FO and coaching staff agrees with Darken that he isn't/can't be a pocket passer, they need to move on.

at the end of this season they should have more than enough insight to make a decision. for now, all we can do is hope its a Sophomore Slump, hasn't Cam Newton SORT OF gone thru the same thing? unfortunately, doesn't look like Kaep is getting out of this funk in one fell swoop?

think they should look hard at drafting a QB anyway? not force one, but don't have to wait for an 'ultimate' prospect. maybe round 2 or 3?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was saying the same thing after the GB game.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at the end of this season they should have more than enough insight to make a decision. for now, all we can do is hope its a Sophomore Slump, hasn't Cam Newton SORT OF gone thru the same thing? unfortunately, doesn't look like Kaep is getting out of this funk in one fell swoop?

think they should look hard at drafting a QB anyway? not force one, but don't have to wait for an 'ultimate' prospect. maybe round 2 or 3?

It's a different situation than cam newton tho. Newton was a first rounder with a lot more invested in him.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they need to pick a new one. An NFL QB needs to be a pocket passer first and foremost. If he can't do that, he won't last as a starting QB in the league.
I just don't see him as a true pocket passer. Maybe he will surpise and become one..in time. My point really is about this season. He has not progressed much as a passing QB. I really wouldn't pull the plug just yet. I'm just saying if the 9ers want to win games they need to use his abilities.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think that the FO and coaching staff are a bit to blame here as well. He wasn't ready to take on the playbook. IMO Roman, Mangini and Chryst should all be fired today. Still I say let him play his best game and work on his skills when someone who can get the best out of him comes on the 9ers coaching staff.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what you expected from a passing game without Crabtree, without Manningham, and with Davis at less than 100%. Defenses have had an off-season to figure out Kaepernick who's having a sophomore dip in his 3rd season. Cam Newton went though this last season. Kaepernick will adjust but it'll probably take a few weeks with all the starters back.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's a different situation than cam newton tho. Newton was a first rounder with a lot more invested in him.

not sure what you mean?

true, more was invested to Newton, so are you saying his 'rebound' was more likely, more expected? that if Kaep doesn't rebound, then we didn't invest a 1st rounder?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I just don't see him as a true pocket passer. Maybe he will surpise and become one..in time. My point really is about this season. He has not progressed much as a passing QB. I really wouldn't pull the plug just yet. I'm just saying if the 9ers want to win games they need to use his abilities.

if you believe he isn't a true pocket passer, then he doesn't have enough abilities. enough abilities for us to think he's the guy for the next 7 years (or however long his extension would be?).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know what you expected from a passing game without Crabtree, without Manningham, and with Davis at less than 100%. Defenses have had an off-season to figure out Kaepernick who's having a sophomore dip in his 3rd season. Cam Newton went though this last season. Kaepernick will adjust but it'll probably take a few weeks with all the starters back.

yes, there are more factors than just Kaep, and everyone has already been pointed at. Maraathe and Donahue included. haaa

didn't expect the #1 passing offense, but didn't expect #32 either? even with these guys out, I expect an average passing offense. we have the run game to bring Safeties down, and our O-line is better than average in pass protect.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yes, there are more factors than just Kaep, and everyone has already been pointed at. Maraathe and Donahue included. haaa

didn't expect the #1 passing offense, but didn't expect #32 either? even with these guys out, I expect an average passing offense. we have the run game to bring Safeties down, and our O-line is better than average in pass protect.

The #32 passing offense is a little misleading. We're 32nd in total yards passing, but we're 9th in yards per attempt. We have thrown the ball 276 times, Seattle has thrown it 286 (31st in attempts). The Jets are next with 334. We have such a low ranked passing offense in part due to not throwing the ball as much as others. Cleveland leads the league in attempts with 477.