• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Price on Hamilton

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much here that inspires news, but it's hot stove stuff. Referring to Hamilton as "speedy" is sort of like saying 7-foot guys are tall. But never let an adjective go to waste.

Bryan Price says Billy Hamilton will have to prove himself in Spring Training

by Nando Di Fino | Senior Fantasy Writer
Doing a social media Q & A with Reds fans, new coach Bryan Price said that speedy outfielder Billy Hamilton isn't guaranteed a job in 2014.

"I think Billy's got to come and have a good Spring Training," Price said in response to a question asking if Hamilton is ready to start next season. "We're very optimistic this kid's going to be a great player. We also have to put him in the best position to succeed -- we want him here when he's ready and we'll help define that over the course of Spring Training."

Hamilton hit .368 and stole 13 bases over 13 games with the Reds in September. He stole 155 bases over two levels of the minors in 2012.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair assessment. He's proved he can steal bases. He hasn't proved he can steal 1b yet. If he's allowed up play his game- walk, bunt, chop, slap, etc. I like his chances. He doesn't have to hit much more than .250 if he can walk and reach on an occasional error- if the guy hits a 1 hop GB, he's no automatic out.

I'm sure he'll do fine if given a sensible role...much more likely since the village idiot is gone.

I am hoping that the Reds have more of a plan to replace Choo than just Hamilton, though.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Reds had better be considering more than just Choo.

1. There is no leadoff guy with a proven skill set. Some folks are pretending that Choo's numbers will automatically fill in this year and Votto will be up and running. Denial there.
2. If they move Votto up to the 2 hole and Bruce into 3rd, there still is the black hole at cleanup. Bruce is a .260 hitter who sometimes hits a lot of home runs. Some denial there.
3. If they trade Phillips, that's another matter. Not sure if the beanbrains are clear that Henry Rodriquez is not a good defensive infielder. More denial there. Maybe we can get 3 or 4 great prospects in a trade. Or maybe not. Dan Uggla is as good as it gets.
4. There's left field. Plenty of denial there. But we still have 5 guys who can platoon.
5. Some yokels think Mesoraco can hit cleanup. Why? Because they are as clueless as Dusty was. Actually Mesoraco is the only guy who's left to hit cleanup, unless we think Ludwick can do it ... so the SABR data makes Mesoraco a great hitter. Why? Because we have to have it that way. It just only works that way. Lots of denial.
6. That leaves the rest of the lineup. More denial. (Hanigan is NOT our second best hitter, by the way.)
7. There still is no idea who's gonna be a hitting coach and the beanbrains who insist a hitting coach can't help anyway ... I got news ... the hitting coach BETTER be doing something. Time to stop denying reality there.

8a. Of course we can always trade Homer Bailey.
8b. Or Mike Leake.
8c. Chapman can't win 30 games for the Reds.

This is not an easy fix and the advanced metrics are ... "Wow, here's what works, now all we have to do is find the players who can do that."

If we wish in one hand and crap in the other, we can applaud and get the best of both worlds.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were only 4 hitters in the Reds lineup lady year-Choo, Votto, Phillips and Bruce. There really aren't many teams with more than 4-5 hitters in the lineup, but the better teams didnt try to put as many outs as possible between them.

Cozart and Frazier are young enough to improve a little , but too old to expect them to. If the Reds have a left fielder capable of playing everyday and hitting above .275, he must be in AA. People that expect catchers to hit, have never played the position. Phillips is a .260 /18HR cleanup hitter or a .280/18HR 2 hitter...I'd take the 2 hitter stats. Choo lead MLB in HBP, hit the most leadoff homers, and was 1 or 2 all year in OBP- for anyone to say he can be replaced is foolish. Bruce is probably still getting better, and although Votto may gain done power back, 30 is by definition, the brink of decline. BP is 32.

This team needs some help by Walt Jocketty.