• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Preseason Game Thread: 2016-17 Season

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I cannot wait to see what the Golden State Warrior's and Durant prove for us against Sacramento in the preseason tonight---instead of going to the Tribe game i justm ight stay home and watch it- If Durant has a good game I DEFINITELY think that means the Warriors will be able to share the ball under adversity in the playoffs a few months from now. :L
I think we got it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we got it.
its just mind boggling to me. We have one warriors fan who actually made a thread- WEEKS AGO- saying "can we put to bed the question of whether there may be chemistry issues" before ONE game was even played- before even the TIP of the season, and another one declaring they should excel sharing the ball and citing as evidence Game 2 of the preseason. I mean- just mindbogglingly stupid.

My Contention is you wont know anything until they face some adversity. I think last year one of the very best things that happened to the Cavs was all the adversity they faced through the regular season and it hardened them for the playoffs. You dont learn much about y our team when things are going right and you are front-running etc. You learn more when your team is knocked down a little bit and how they respond- thats what I think anyway.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its just mind boggling to me. We have one warriors fan who actually made a thread- WEEKS AGO- saying "can we put to bed the question of whether there may be chemistry issues" before ONE game was even played- before even the TIP of the season, and another one declaring they should excel sharing the ball and citing as evidence Game 2 of the preseason. I mean- just mindbogglingly stupid.

My Contention is you wont know anything until they face some adversity. I think last year one of the very best things that happened to the Cavs was all the adversity they faced through the regular season and it hardened them for the playoffs. You dont learn much about y our team when things are going right and you are front-running etc. You learn more when your team is knocked down a little bit and how they respond- thats what I think anyway.

We've all seen your opinion about the pre-season. If you have an issue with it, stay out of the thread.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've all seen your opinion about the pre-season. If you have an issue with it, stay out of the thread.
shit- i loved hearing about how Jordan McRae has carried over his great play from the summer league to excelling yesterday in the preseason game against ORlando---- him and Kay Felder.--- however I harbor no delusions that it means anything once the regular season starts.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shit- i loved hearing about how Jordan McRae has carried over his great play from the summer league to excelling yesterday in the preseason game against ORlando---- him and Kay Felder.--- however I harbor no delusions that it means anything once the regular season starts.

As I said before, how much the pre-season means depends entirely upon the situation an individual team is in.

For example, for a young team, like the Lakers, with a new head coach and staff learning a new system and trying to integrate a couple of solid vets to help the learning process, the pre-season is very important. They need time on the floor together to learn the system, to play together and to basically learn how to play NBA basketball.

For a team like the Warriors, it is also somewhat important because it gives them an opportunity to get their team on the floor with KD so they can start figuring out how it's going to work and keep everyone happy.

For teams like the Cavs, Spurs to an extent, Clippers, etc. it's not nearly as important because they are already set as far as rotations, etc. The only thing the pre-season does for teams like that is break up the tedium of practice.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ma
As I said before, how much the pre-season means depends entirely upon the situation an individual team is in.

For example, for a young team, like the Lakers, with a new head coach and staff learning a new system and trying to integrate a couple of solid vets to help the learning process, the pre-season is very important. They need time on the floor together to learn the system, to play together and to basically learn how to play NBA basketball.

For a team like the Warriors, it is also somewhat important because it gives them an opportunity to get their team on the floor with KD so they can start figuring out how it's going to work and keep everyone happy.

For teams like the Cavs, Spurs to an extent, Clippers, etc. it's not nearly as important because they are already set as far as rotations, etc. The only thing the pre-season does for teams like that is break up the tedium of practice.
maybe a more precise way to put it instead of doesn't "mean" anything would be to say doesn't "prove" anything. I mean (heh), i guess it would MEAN something if Love broke his leg in a preseason game. I guess it would MEAN something if 2 teammates brawled in the preseason.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ma

maybe a more precise way to put it instead of doesn't "mean" anything would be to say doesn't "prove" anything. I mean (heh), i guess it would MEAN something if Love broke his leg in a preseason game. I guess it would MEAN something if 2 teammates brawled in the preseason.

Definitely doesn't prove anything. The Lakers beat the Kings the other night, pretty handily too. Sure as heck doesn't prove they are going to be anything more than a lottery team. But it does show that maybe they can be pretty good once they have a little experience and learn to play together consistently.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-season is always good for watching the newcomers.

Love what I saw out of Felder and McRae last night. I have never been as high on McRae as others have been... but between the summer league and last night's game... he is starting to look like a legit shooter.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-season is always good for watching the newcomers.

Love what I saw out of Felder and McRae last night. I have never been as high on McRae as others have been... but between the summer league and last night's game... he is starting to look like a legit shooter.
he has some decent size and a little bit of game.....if for some reason things get acrimonoius and JR does not get signed (which i dont anticipate- but you need to plan for every contingency), it seems like a combination of McRae and Dunleavy would absorb much of JRs' PT and you could definitely do worse.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ma

So if I would have just prefaced my post yesterday with "Yeah, it's only one pre-season game, but..." you would have been all good with it?

Bulletz

Smib
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,245.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely doesn't prove anything. The Lakers beat the Kings the other night, pretty handily too. Sure as heck doesn't prove they are going to be anything more than a lottery team. But it does show that maybe they can be pretty good once they have a little experience and learn to play together consistently.
Yea I wouldn't expect this crew to win a whole lot of games, but they are gonna be must-see tv for sure.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting to watch Bulls 1st team play some in the 2nd half. They had a good 1st showing. it was exciting to watch them play. Butler and wade were hitting 3's. Much better defensive team with Rondo, wade and lopez in the starting line up. 2nd team needs work.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if I would have just prefaced my post yesterday with "Yeah, it's only one pre-season game, but..." you would have been all good with it?
no because i think what i think what 1 preseason game is worth and what you framed what 1 preseason game was worth is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY different.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no because i think what i think what 1 preseason game is worth and what you framed what 1 preseason game was worth is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY different.

It was exactly the same. We both mentioned promise based off of one pre-season game. You're just assuming I value a preseason game differently than you did. I don't, but you blew up my shit like it was a proclamation of greatness.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was exactly the same. We both mentioned promise based off of one pre-season game. You're just assuming I value a preseason game differently than you did. I don't, but you blew up my shit like it was a proclamation of greatness.
where was your post on preseason game #1 then after Durant didnt look so great? Did that mean equal to preseason game #2? Or was preseason game #2 the only one worth mentioning?

i just dont see the relevance in the big picture- ESPECIALLY for vets.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
where was your post on preseason game #1 then after Durant didnt look so great? Did that mean equal to preseason game #2? Or was preseason game #2 the only one worth mentioning?

i just dont see the relevance in the big picture- ESPECIALLY for vets.

I didn't watch much of pre-season game 1. I ended up catching the last 3 or 4 minutes of the 1st half, and the starters sat the entire second half. This past game I watched up until the Warriors were up by 53 then I changed the channel.

I would think that you have known me to not cherry pick shit on the Warriors. When they play bad, I call it out. I just made an observation in game 2, which was promising. You for some reason treated it like I was hailing that Warriors have found greatness and we can all just go home. My observation was one small thing in the grand scheme of what the Warriors do. It had to do just simply with how Klay was being used and what his role was. I didn't say anything about any other player or even remotely about the Warriors in general.

Just like you can make an observation about how Felder looks good, I did the exact same thing with Klay. It doesn't mean Felder is going to win ROY or that Klay is going to be a 30 ppg scorer. It was just a small observation.

The difference between your perspective as a Cavs fan and mine as a Warriors fan is the dynamic of the upcoming season is completely different. While both teams are expected to be in the finals, the way they get there and the way each team finds its way through the season is on polar opposites of a spectrum. You're bringing back almost your entire rotation, with the addition of Dunleavy and trying to figure out a back up PG. Other than that the Cavs are set for the playoffs right now. If it started today, everyone would agree that they're most likely to be clicking on all cylinders.

The Warriors have had a ridiculous turnover with their roster. They have replaced 50% of their rotational roster. That's huge. It's going to take the Warriors much more time and effort to try and figure out how to incorporate players, to play to their strengths and to develop chemistry. If say the finals started today, the Cavs would be a significant favorite because of all I said above.

Making a casual observation about one preseason game is just that. A casual observation.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. The only thing I've heard is that the players are very excited to have him as coach. They love that there is music at practice and that he brings a modern NBA offense with him. They expecially like him compared to Gunnery Sargent Byron Scott's boot camp.

Practice is boring and no one goes 100% all of the time. I wouldn't read much into some video of training camp.
Yea I heard they're excited that he's a younger coach- has only been 4 years removed as a player. And I think that will help him bond with his guys. But it wasn't just a video- it was live so thought it was interesting that we were able to see them for long periods of time- to get a feel of the vibe.

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The more things change the more they stay the same. :rolleyes2: