• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Preseason Game #1

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I agree but it looks like Depth might be an issue. I understand that it wasn't really our 1st team D. We only had what like 3 starters on the field.

I hear you. It is one thing to have backups plugged in at a couple of places and another thing to have almost your entire D consist of backups. Also, it is only the first preseason game. There is time for things to get ironed out.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Hyde has a solid NFL career.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be wrong, but I don't think Dial played as the NT. I believe that was mostly Purcell. Dial looked like he was difficult to move, so maybe they would consider putting him in that spot? He's listed at 318, which is the biggest defensive lineman we have. I'd like to see if he can clog the middle. Purcell is definitely not the answer.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might be wrong, but I don't think Dial played as the NT. I believe that was mostly Purcell. Dial looked like he was difficult to move, so maybe they would consider putting him in that spot? He's listed at 318, which is the biggest defensive lineman we have. I'd like to see if he can clog the middle. Purcell is definitely not the answer.

I would guess the 49ers dont think so either. I wonder when Ian Williams is going to get cleared to play

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ellington also looked better then Patton. Im shocked ellington lasted so long in the draft. Cook looked ok, I wasn't a big fan of his but maybe he proves me wrong.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also Vance looked a lot better out there.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My Impressions

Hyde looked good, think him and Gore will form a nasty 1/2 punch.

Ellington is our return guy he was fast and decisive hit some holes and looked comfortable out there.

Borland has a ways to go in coverage but made some plays him and Whilhoite bit hard on all the PAF's

NT is a bit of a concern as Dial and Purcell didnt seem to hold there ground against the Ravens O Line very well.

Tank looked good and had a nice sack, he will definitely be in the D Line rotation.

We are soooo fucked if Kap goes down that's all I gotta say about the back up QB's.

Vance looked a lot more comfortable out there and caught the ball well, I expect a big improvement from him this season.

Not sure what you seen, Dial looked like an all pro.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellington is definitely our return guy. Looks very natural back there.

Still not sure if he's a better receiver than Patton though. The biggest reason we didn't see a lot of Patton was because Gabbert played terribly. There were at least two plays where Gabbert just completely missed an open Patton for a short gain. But from what I saw of Ellington, I really like the dimension he brings. He looks quick and he looks like he could be a slot receiver, and I don't think his skill-set is exclusive to the slot.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yes I agree but it looks like Depth might be an issue. I understand that it wasn't really our 1st team D. We only had what like 3 starters on the field.

We had a lot of guys that haven't had much if any NFL action before so I felt it took them some time to get settled in and get a feel for the game.

My only concern about our defense is I agree with most that they did get pushed around a bit too easily.

Other than that the other issues I feel will be cleaned up with just getting some reps and experience out there.

Tank and Dial look like they'll be very legit contributors to the team this season and being able to rotate guys in will be a huge boon to our defense.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I probably meant Dobbs and Purcell, Dial didn't actually play the NT spot IIRC.

He got a few snaps there but I just think he's more of a natural DE than NT.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The three guys that stood out to me were among those mentioned most: Ellington, Dial and Carradine. Those guys looked like they could play right away and contribute.

One guy I was looking for more was Borland. There was the one play he bit hard on the play action and the Ravens got a big completion out of it. I'm hoping this is something that can be helped with more experience. They need someone to step it up in the middle.

Also what do you guys think about Lemonier and how he played? With Aldon potentially being out is he going to be able to keep pace?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Just some random thoughts on the game:

-Hyde looks legit and is faster than he looks. I actually expect him to get a lot of carries if this game is any indication as he looks like a younger faster Gore.

-Ellington looks like a better option as a return man than LMJ. Being a return takes a certain amount of feel and instincts and Ellington just looks strong in that aspect than LMJ. He's could wind up being a steal in the 6th round.

-Okoye looks a lot better and I think he's worth keeping around and developing. He he continues to develop along with Tank and Dial the defensive line could be pretty beastly for the foreseeable future.

Overall I did like the flashes the young guys showed to me a lot of what I saw was just guys needing the reps, development, and experience.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
-Okoye looks a lot better and I think he's worth keeping around and developing. He he continues to develop along with Tank and Dial the defensive line could be pretty beastly for the

He does look 10x better, but he's still very, very horrible against the run. It looked like he was on roller skates on running plays. Dude needs to fix that like by the next preseason game if he has any chance of making the team (at least get a LOT better than yesterday).

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellington was drafted in the 4th not the 6th

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He does look 10x better, but he's still very, very horrible against the run. It looked like he was on roller skates on running plays. Dude needs to fix that like by the next preseason game if he has any chance of making the team (at least get a LOT better than yesterday).

yep, not that he can't ever do it, or isn't worth developing at all.......but there isn't enough time for him to make it this season. not surprising to anyone, just the lack of experience in run recognition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10x better for Okoye is about right. But, he was complete shit before, and he's still pretty bad. Just not as bad.

Still irritated by how much love he gets for being a being a "great athlete". I don't see much transferable between discus and playing on the defensive line in the NFL. I mean, just look at this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAh4jePtJSE]Discus Spin - YouTube[/ame]

Okoye being really good at that...means what exactly in terms of playing in the NFL? Might as well make an argument for putting Lebron James on the U.S. soccer team, you know, because he's a great athlete and all.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll tell you what I'd be impressed with. Get me a world champion sumo wrestler on the offensive line.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

He does still have a ton of work and if we get a payoff from him it probably won't be until 2016.

I just think the growth he's shown so far with such limited football action it's worth to continue to explore it and see how far he can grow.

If we can get Okoye to beast it we would have an extremely terrifying front 7 in 2016 with Carradine and Okoye manning the end spots with Aldon and Lemonier rushing from the edge and Pat and Bow handling the middle.