• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Postgame Locker Room

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave up on the WP a few years ago when they hired, and kept, the likes of mike wise.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to go before the press because that's a rule.

I wish they would pull a Bellicheck though and not say a word.

I see a bunch of you saying the next guy needs to be a communicator...screw that. Treat the press with disdain and keep everything in house...the Bellicheck way.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have to go before the press because that's a rule.

I wish they would pull a Bellicheck though and not say a word.

I see a bunch of you saying the next guy needs to be a communicator...screw that. Treat the press with disdain and keep everything in house...the Bellicheck way.

Very good pts. I realize that this is a rule - just didn't know the penalty. If it is a relatively small fine I say pay it. Otherwise - I like your idea. I think that the real problem is that RG3 enjoys the attention too much. However - as he starts to see the downside he probably is reconsidering his approach (or at least hope so).

As he matures (hopefully) he should go your route & keep the questions & comments to a minimum. It appears that a lot of other QBs attend these press conferences but don't stay up there for what appears to be forever. I believe that the worst example was during the preseason when RG3 voluntarily addressed the press to try and discount rumors about Shanahan & himself - huge mistake IMO.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW gke - I like your idea about the next coach keeping his distance from the press or even being somewhat hostile towards them. I would have no problem having a coach like Belichick or Popovich who are considered by many to be poor communicators yet have numerous titles between them.

Sooner or later this franchise will realize that it is only about winning - not being the most loved or the sexiest franchise.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's what we have now and how has that worked? Let's see, every issue is blown up in the press with interpretations of nefarious implications. Because this regime has treated the press with such disdain, the press makes up/reports stories in such a way that result in the team unity being undermined.

I'm not saying we need our coach to divulge state secrets, but there are plenty of coaches out there that understand how to use the press. They can be an ally, but they can also make your life hell. Joe Gibbs had a great relationship with the press without giving them much but respect and an understanding that they have a job to do. Think of the stories that have swirled under Shanahan's regime that have had no kernel of truth. Many of those type of stories under Gibbs would have been squashed because he was approachable and had a relationship with many of these guys. It just makes sense you want these guys on your side and not trying t undermine you with every issue that comes up.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how NE does things:

So Bill, Tom threw two picks today. What happened on those plays?
I have to check the film. I dont' really know.

So Tom, you threw two picks today. What happened on those plays?
I have to check the film. I'm not really sure. (See how subtely he changed his answer)

So Rob, Tom threw two picks today. What happened on those plays?
I have to check the film. I have no idea.

So defense, you gave up 48 points today. What happened?
I'm not really sure so I have to check the film.

They are all generic and boring...the media doesn't even bother.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how NE does things:

So Bill, Tom threw two picks today. What happened on those plays?
I have to check the film. I dont' really know.

So Tom, you threw two picks today. What happened on those plays?
I have to check the film. I'm not really sure. (See how subtely he changed his answer)

So Rob, Tom threw two picks today. What happened on those plays?
I have to check the film. I have no idea.

So defense, you gave up 48 points today. What happened?
I'm not really sure so I have to check the film.

They are all generic and boring...the media doesn't even bother.

And all that works when you are winning and you have a press corp that are fans of the team. But as soon as things turn south, the press will look for thing to write. You can either mold the message you want them to report or you can let them do it. If they don't like you, you can bet that message will cause you headaches.

Some of the press issues are they Just don't like mike. Some of it is they just don't like dan. Some of it is anything associated with RG3 gets them a national headline. My point is you don't have to alienate the press, you can use them to your benefit without giving away your game plan, personnel secrets, or the combination to your locker.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's what we have now and how has that worked? Let's see, every issue is blown up in the press with interpretations of nefarious implications. Because this regime has treated the press with such disdain, the press makes up/reports stories in such a way that result in the team unity being undermined.

Team unity? Hmm. Instead of worrying about the press - how about having coaches who actually develop their players & in the process develop an actual team. With that type of concept at worst it would be "Us against them" & as long as they have each other they won't care.

Also - continually remind people like RG3 to keep their answers to a minimum (as suggested by gke) & remind him that they are not his friends. As he has seen - they will turn on him in a second. I think it is pretty safe to assume that he is learning that lesson this season & will be much quieter next season (ala Newton).

One other thing - if I were the Redskins organization I would continue to find ways to undermine the WP since their sole objective appears to be ruin the Redskins & anyone associated with the team. If possible - I would limit access wherever possible to anyone associated with that rag.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And all that works when you are winning and you have a press corp that are fans of the team. But as soon as things turn south, the press will look for thing to write. You can either mold the message you want them to report or you can let them do it. If they don't like you, you can bet that message will cause you headaches.

Some of the press issues are they Just don't like mike. Some of it is they just don't like dan. Some of it is anything associated with RG3 gets them a national headline. My point is you don't have to alienate the press, you can use them to your benefit without giving away your game plan, personnel secrets, or the combination to your locker.

And some of it is that they are lazy scumbags who want the easy way out (e.g. write yet another story about anything RG3 or why everyone hates the name "Redskins"). A lot of these people just appear to be failed writers who lucked into writing some crappy blog or running their mouth nonstop on some stupid TV show.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And some of it is that they are lazy scumbags who want the easy way out (e.g. write yet another story about anything RG3 or why everyone hates the name "Redskins"). A lot of these people just appear to be failed writers who lucked into writing some crappy blog or running their mouth nonstop on some stupid TV show.

Can't argue with that. No one reports anymore, they all blog. No one verifies stories, checks out sources, etc. it's all about getting the rumor out first. They basically are glorified forum posters.

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Krusheasy

Still Not a Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 474.55