• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

:POST GAME THOUGHTS: 49ers vs Cowboys

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off what a great win!! Harbs is now 4-0 on opening day ^_^

The good:

Defense was opportunistic: We couldn't get a hand on Romo in the first quarter and it showed but we capitalized on the mistakes they made and turned them into points for us.

Kaep looked good: While I wasn't blown away by Kaep he played pretty damn good and made a couple incredible passes, the best thing I saw was he went through his reads and seemed more decisive with where he was going with the ball.

Running Game and Oline: Now the Dallas D is nothing to write home about, but the O Line opened up some nice running lanes for Gore and Hyde and really helped us put the game away. I thought they were good in pass protection for the most part but again this Dallas D is seriously devoid of pass rushers.

Justin Smith!!!: This guy I just cant say enough about, he set the tone with the sack on Romo when the Boys were driving it down the field on us. He really is the motor that makes this D run.

49ers fans representing: Wow what a turn out by 49er fans in Dallas, No home field advantage at all for the Cowboys.

I'm sure there are a lot more great things but those are the ones that stick out right now.

The Bad:

The Run D: Dallas was gouging us big time, hopefully this is sorted out next week we will see Matt Forte

Phil Dawson: I'm worried he is slipping and we might have an issue with him, hopefully he works through it but this is a concern when you shank a 34 yard FG in a dome.

The Refs: Yes they were awful and the score should probably have been closer to 40-14 but inspite of horrible officiating we still won so suck it Refs.

LMJ: Nothing good ever happens when the ball is in his hands, how can the coaching staff not see this ??

Last edited by a moderator:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off what a great win!! Harbs is now 4-0 on opening day ^_^

The good:

Defense was opportunistic: We couldn't get a hand on Romo in the first quarter and it showed but we capitalized on the mistakes they made and turned them into points for us.

Kaep looked good: While I wasn't blown away by Kaep he played pretty damn good and made a couple incredible passes, the best thing I saw was he went through his reads and seemed more decisive with where he was going with the ball.

Running Game and Oline: Now the Dallas D is nothing to write home about, but the O Line opened up some nice running lanes for Gore and Hyde and really helped us put the game away. I thought they were good in pass protection for the most part but again this Dallas D is seriously devoid of pass rushers.

Justin Smith!!!: This guy I just cant say enough about, he set the tone with the sack on Romo when the Boys were driving it down the field on us. He really is the motor that makes this D run.

49ers fans representing: Wow what a turn out by 49er fans in Dallas, No home field advantage at all for the Cowboys.

I'm sure there are a lot more great things but those are the ones that stick out right now.

The Bad:

The Run D: Dallas was gouging us big time, hopefully this is sorted out next week we will see Matt Forte

Phil Dawson: I'm worried he is slipping and we might have an issue with him, hopefully he works through it but this is a concern when you shank a 34 yard FG in a dome.

The Refs: Yes they were awful and the score should probably have been closer to 40-14 but inspite of horrible officiating we still won so suck it Refs.

LMJ: Nothing good ever happens when the ball is in his hands, how can the coaching staff not see this ??
I agree with most of this. I think the OL played lousy...pushed off the line often and running lanes were stuffed often. The Cowboy still provides! Kap looked better at his reads.Dawson missing FGs isn't acceptable in real games....period. Ellington calling a fair catch when he had room to run concerns me. I'm curious how the NFL will review the Refs' calls on this game...it was horrid.

ida one

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Both teams need to sharpen thier pencils and work out some kind of stratagies to overcome thier woes. Niether team looked exceptionaly well, but it is only the first game. The best team won the game today. The Cowboys need some players around Romo for them to get much better.

Good game Kaep. A win is a win

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I thought that that was a gift victory, thank you Tony Romo. They gave us that game with turnovers,, and we did not do a lot otherwise to win. Guys who looked good include Kap, Vernon, Cowboy, Anquan, and especially Hyde. I think that he and Gore should share the load 50/50, he is really explosive. As to LMJ, you cannot judge by those two plays, they were poorly blocked and totally defended.

The overall poor play of the d-line is a huge issue: they got killed on the runs. Terrible tackling too. If Romo was not so generous, coulda been an ugly loss.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mixed feelings... Considering the off season drama and off the field garbage of late, great win.

And Carlos "Raw" Hyde is going to be fun to watch - wow is he explosive.

That said, this felt like the 5th preseason game as the Cowboys played their bench while the 49ers left their starters in. Essentially, Cowboys were awful and would have lost to anybody today, maybe even Alabama.

After watching Seattle, the 49ers have a ways to go. Certainly getting personnel back is a key, but I didn't learn anything and imagine we will know more after the Bears game.

The officiating was clearly trying to keep an out gunned Dallas team in the game. That was corrupt and the NFL should publicly apologize to the York family and San Francisco 49ers organization.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that that was a gift victory, thank you Tony Romo. They gave us that game with turnovers,, and we did not do a lot otherwise to win. Guys who looked good include Kap, Vernon, Cowboy, Anquan, and especially Hyde. I think that he and Gore should share the load 50/50, he is really explosive. As to LMJ, you cannot judge by those two plays, they were poorly blocked and totally defended.

The overall poor play of the d-line is a huge issue: they got killed on the runs. Terrible tackling too. If Romo was not so generous, coulda been an ugly loss.

Totally agree on split carries, I just wonder if Gore is a guy who has to feel his way through a game. Remember at versus Seattle? Not much all day until he broke off the game clincher. We will see...

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From our side I saw a very poor pass rush, but the DB's were better than expected which made up for a lot of it.

Other than that, my God is this year going to suck with officiating. They were pretty bad both ways, but we had several big plays stripped away over some really dumb calls that should have never been called.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another thing I forgot yo mention, Hyde blocked well! As Gore always does...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with most of this.

I thought the pass game and Kaepernick looked good. He could have done even more had that big play to VD not called back on a penalty. VD also killed a drive by dropping a pass on 3rd down which should have easily been caught.

Oline was not very good. Hyde was real good. Gore got stuffed several times. Break down in pass protection and overall there wasn't push by either the Oline or Dline. Lack of pressure on Romo. I think the oline will get better with more time together when everyone is back.

Will take these wins any way we can get them early in the Season.

Joshua

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with most of this. I think the OL played lousy...pushed off the line often and running lanes were stuffed often. The Cowboy still provides! Kap looked better at his reads.Dawson missing FGs isn't acceptable in real games....period. Ellington calling a fair catch when he had room to run concerns me. I'm curious how the NFL will review the Refs' calls on this game...it was horrid.

Missing 3 of the 5 starers on the Oline didn't help.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I should add that I was ecstatic with our first drive, down the field in 3 plays. It was great to see us push it down the field and not start off trying to just establish the run. So, can we do more of that? Did we pull it in after that cuz we got the big lead?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought kap looked better going through progressions. this is the year i think he steps up. hyde is gonna keep gore fresh, i'm really impressed with hyde's pass protection. our corners held up well too, which is a huge concern for me.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overall very happy with this game. We came out fired up and showed players aren't giving up on harbaugh. This should shut the media for a little.

1 negative Harbaugh needs to keep foot on the pedal. Cant take the gas off. 2nd half he just ran the ball and chilled. Attack harbaugh.

Overall great win and very happy.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players to Watch:
Offense

Kap looked awesome
Boldin is still a beast
VD getting open
Oline so so but will be better this week with Boone and AD coming back
Hyde is going to be a beast
Defense
J. Smith still has something left in the Tank
A. Lynch played good min and looked very good
Losing our 2 starting CB the back ups did well
E. Reid is a ball hawk

Negatives: Wasn't happy with the LB's.
Dawson is turning into Akers 2.0
Harbaugh needs to continue to attack in the 2nd half.

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did they seem to line J. Smith on the outside more often then usual ?? This speaks volumes that a DT in his mid 30's is getting more pressure then our young OLB's, God Bless the Cowboy may he continue to ride for many many more games

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All fair assessments. Yes while Romo did you all much favors, had he played better there's no guarantee our defense plays as well as it did. As a Cowboy fan I do have some optimism our defense is better than last season but then again is that because of the lead you had and just played it safe. I'm sure our offense will not be that generous going forward. Good luck this season. Yes I mean that even though I hold a lot of hate ever since the Dwight Clark days.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All fair assessments. Yes while Romo did you all much favors, had he played better there's no guarantee our defense plays as well as it did. As a Cowboy fan I do have some optimism our defense is better than last season but then again is that because of the lead you had and just played it safe. I'm sure our offense will not be that generous going forward. Good luck this season. Yes I mean that even though I hold a lot of hate ever since the Dwight Clark days.

I think the 49ers D more vulernable early in the season as the team is missing key players and haven't all played together. Romo bailed them out. I thought he would play better than he did.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the 49ers D more vulernable early in the season as the team is missing key players and haven't all played together. Romo bailed them out. I thought he would play better than he did.

was a LITTLE surprised at how easily the front 3 were pushed back?

oh well....

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaep did great stepping up and all the receivers!! The Secondary did a great job on Romo and Bryant!! The Bears will be close to the same in offensive regard!! Go 49ers!!

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A win to kick off the season is always a good thing. The defense in general outplayed the offense. They gave up substantial yards with Murray, but that seemed to be the Cowboys plan even late into the game. Down a couple of superstars, then losing both corners, but they held together quite well. Justin Smith looked like he did a couple of years ago, which is essential for the time being. D Johnson looked pretty solid in his first outing. Romo made some of his traditional throws but it seemed that he lacked zip on the ball....I suspect he's still recovering from the back issue.

The bottom line is, Tony Romo and co. gave this game to us - fumble returned for a TD, an int setting SF up on the Dallas two yard line. Basically....the Niners offense totalled 14 points. When going up against a historically bad defense, which actually lost some of it's best players, that is a bit underwhelming. The first drive was pretty electric, but beside the other TD march....generally nothing. Yeah, a couple of drives were basically killed by penalties, (some legit and some bull) one ended on a missed FG, and SF took the foot off the pedal and went to the ground game to run out the clock.....I still wanted to see a bit more.

On to the home opener against a similar team to the Cowboys, in the Bears.