• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Post-Game... First Impressions?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Washington Commanders showed some promising signs in their preseason opener against the New York Jets yesterday, despite the 20-17 loss. Here are my key impressions:

The Positives:

• Jayden Daniels’ performance: The rookie quarterback had an impressive debut for some here but to me, he didn’t do anything that I hadn’t witnessed before in his game. In fact, I’d say he was pretty conservative in his approach to his first NFL start and for those who aren’t as familiar with him, he is much better than what you saw yesterday. In his initial foray into the NFL, an 11-play 70-yard drive, he completed 2 of 3 passes for 45 yards, converted three third downs, and ended it with a TD run, his first. This drive showcased his potential and poise behind the center.
  • Offensive Highlights: The Commanders’ offense looked sharp in the opening series and for the most part, all game long. You’re not going to see a lot of their schemes or indicators of what this group can do in Kliff Kingsbury’s offense, but considering what we did see in terms of execution, and to a lesser degree, creativity, there are hints of a more dynamic and versatile offensive approach this season.
  • Defensive Efforts: The defense had some strong moments, including a sack by Benning Potoa’e. However, there were areas where improvements are needed, particularly in stopping the Jets’ running game. In the passing game it was refreshing to see Commanders’ defenders at least close to opposing receivers no matter how the play unfolded this is a great sign and one that leaves room for improvement and perhaps better outcomes in future games.
  • Special Teams: What do you call it when you miss a field goal and make another in your preseason opener with no settled starter on board? Mixed results?? I’m not impressed with the NFL’s new kick-off scheme, but it is far better than its predecessor whose main feature was kicking the ball out of the end zone. I’m going to have to see more of the new approach before giving any detailed assessments.

The Negatives:

The Washington Commanders overall, had a mixed performance in their preseason opener against the New York Jets, which they lost 20-17. I don’t take opening preseason games as indicators of much more than what they were at the moment. My negative impressions of that game are as follows:

Inconsistent Defense: The defense struggled at times, particularly in the second half. They allowed the Jets to come back and score crucial points, including a late field goal that provided the winning margin for the home team.

Special Team Issues: Biggest concern, is the kicking game, specifically, the misses in camp and thus far, one of two during live preseason action. Kick-offs are still fresh and a little weird to me but I’m intrigued by Davion Davis as a no-nonsense, straight-ahead punt returner. He totaled 10 yards but there were moments where you can see breaking long runs is well within his repertoire.

Depth Concerns: Some of today’s “starters” will be backups when the season begins, but despite that, the team still needs to bolster their second and third teams’ talent. During Rivera’s last season, the Commanders had second and third-string talent starting for him. There are at least 35 new faces on this squad and more needs to come in, but that takes time, and perhaps better coaching improves the leftovers' play until better reinforcements arrive. As the season progresses and injuries inevitably occur, maintaining the level of play will be a daunting task.

Penalties: The Commanders were flagged for several penalties, which stalled drives and gave the Jets more offensive opportunities. They were all correctable and possibly due to uncertainty in a new system, under new coaches, and in line with new players. Despite these issues, it’s important to remember that it’s just the first preseason game, and there’s plenty of time for the team to address these concerns before the regular season starts.

Overall, the Commanders’ new-look team showed potential, especially with their young quarterback. It’s just the beginning of the preseason, so there’s plenty of time to build on these positives and address any weaknesses.

Last edited:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need a half from Mariota next week to make sure he's not cheeks. Driskel from all accounts has been outperforming him all camp. The fact that Quinn gave him only one series means he's probably a lock, but I need to see some good football from him.
I would like to see Jayden play a half. Three passes is not much heading into a rookie NFL season.

There was a lot of meat on the bone considering guys that did not play. I'd love to see a Jordan Magee sighting. Did he even play? If h he did I missed it. Forbes should play a half as well. He has to break the habit especially in the red zone of looking into the backfield. Just run with the WR. He is allowing separation when he turns to look at the QB.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to see Jayden play a half. Three passes is not much heading into a rookie NFL season.

There was a lot of meat on the bone considering guys that did not play. I'd love to see a Jordan Magee sighting. Did he even play? If h he did I missed it. Forbes should play a half as well. He has to break the habit especially in the red zone of looking into the backfield. Just run with the WR. He is allowing separation when he turns to look at the QB.
I watched JJ and Penix get a lot of run. They both looked good. Caleb is going to be just fine. Good class.

I would like to see Jayden get the work they did, but with the o-line out, I get why Quinn didn't let Jayden get that type of run. Hell, he had to audible just to get that one deep shot off.

If Coleman, Lucas and Wylie aren't back, I expect more of the same. Saw enough of Driskel to know he can come in and maybe win a game or two. Need to see Mariota. I don't feel comfortable about him yet.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thinking that is probably the next game. The second game has supplanted the third (when you had four) as the game for the starters. I imagine that the third pre-season game, which is our only home game, is the 2nd team and focused on final position battles.

I’ve got season tickets so I’ll be there, if only to scope out the changes made to the stadium/concessions/etc during the off-season. I’ll probably only stay the first half, or as long as the wife wants to.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Washington Commanders showed some promising signs in their preseason opener against the New York Jets yesterday, despite the 20-17 loss. Here are my key impressions:

The Positives:

• Jayden Daniels’ performance: The rookie quarterback had an impressive debut for some here but to me, he didn’t do anything that I hadn’t witnessed before in his game. In fact, I’d say he was pretty conservative in his approach to his first NFL start and for those who aren’t as familiar with him, he is much better than what you saw yesterday. In his initial foray into the NFL, an 11-play 70-yard drive, he completed 2 of 3 passes for 45 yards, converted three third downs, and ended it with a TD run, his first. This drive showcased his potential and poise behind the center.
  • Offensive Highlights: The Commanders’ offense looked sharp in the opening series and for the most part, all game long. You’re not going to see a lot of their schemes or indicators of what this group can do in Kliff Kingsbury’s offense, but considering what we did see in terms of execution, and to a lesser degree, creativity, there are hints of a more dynamic and versatile offensive approach this season.
  • Defensive Efforts: The defense had some strong moments, including a sack by Benning Potoa’e. However, there were areas where improvements are needed, particularly in stopping the Jets’ running game. In the passing game it was refreshing to see Commanders’ defenders at least close to opposing receivers no matter how the play unfolded this is a great sign and one that leaves room for improvement and perhaps better outcomes in future games.
  • Special Teams: What do you call it when you miss a field goal and make another in your preseason opener with no settled starter on board? Mixed results?? I’m not impressed with the NFL’s new kick-off scheme, but it is far better than its predecessor whose main feature was kicking the ball out of the end zone. I’m going to have to see more of the new approach before giving any detailed assessments.

The Negatives:

The Washington Commanders overall, had a mixed performance in their preseason opener against the New York Jets, which they lost 20-17. I don’t take opening preseason games as indicators of much more than what they were at the moment. My negative impressions of that game are as follows:

Inconsistent Defense: The defense struggled at times, particularly in the second half. They allowed the Jets to come back and score crucial points, including a late field goal that provided the winning margin for the home team.

Special Team Issues: Biggest concern, is the kicking game, specifically, the misses in camp and thus far, one of two during live preseason action. Kick-offs are still fresh and a little weird to me but I’m intrigued by Davion Davis as a no-nonsense, straight-ahead punt returner. He totaled 10 yards but there were moments where you can see breaking long runs is well within his repertoire.

Depth Concerns: Some of today’s “starters” will be backups when the season begins, but despite that, the team still needs to bolster their second and third teams’ talent. During Rivera’s last season, the Commanders had second and third-string talent starting for him. There are at least 35 new faces on this squad and more needs to come in, but that takes time, and perhaps better coaching improves the leftovers' play until better reinforcements arrive. As the season progresses and injuries inevitably occur, maintaining the level of play will be a daunting task.

Penalties: The Commanders were flagged for several penalties, which stalled drives and gave the Jets more offensive opportunities. They were all correctable and possibly due to uncertainty in a new system, under new coaches, and in line with new players. Despite these issues, it’s important to remember that it’s just the first preseason game, and there’s plenty of time for the team to address these concerns before the regular season starts.

Overall, the Commanders’ new-look team showed potential, especially with their young quarterback. It’s just the beginning of the preseason, so there’s plenty of time to build on these positives and address any weaknesses.
The penalties were definitely noticeable. To be expected I guess. Balance on offense. Refreshing. To your point, from what I could tell, no blown assignments on defense. Also refreshing.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought yesterday was fairly typical for a first preseason game. It is apparent that the team is in better hands .... what that equates to in the regular season is hard to predict. Kliff ran a lot of spread sets but ran from them as well. Clearly he is better than EB.

I want to see some TOs and more sacks.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thinking that is probably the next game. The second game has supplanted the third (when you had four) as the game for the starters. I imagine that the third pre-season game, which is our only home game, is the 2nd team and focused on final position battles.

I’ve got season tickets so I’ll be there, if only to scope out the changes made to the stadium/concessions/etc during the off-season. I’ll probably only stay the first half, or as long as the wife wants to.
I am interested in what you think after you go to the game. They added club seats. I think they did improvements out on the concourse level. I appreciate Josh trying to improve that shitty stadium. Dan was just letting it rot away.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
next week vs the dolphins in the joint practice will be a nice watch
i should have finished my 14 hour drive by then

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he made this catch as well which in the past he didnt

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

McGee only played a series or two, but you can see his athleticism jump off the screen., there you go sportster