• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Position by position breakdown NIners & Ravens

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who gives a shit if he is better - he is more dangerous in their offense than Gore is in ours.

Well, the good news is they've already used their get out of jail free card on the 4th and 29. I mean, seriously, who uses that in the regular season? They seemed to have some left for the win over the Broncos, though.

As much as I used to think Manning was ok to root for after the Niners were out, I was glad to see that we won't hear about him all the time this year. I was ok with Manning turning us down because I was an Alex supporter and thought we could squek on by because we had the better defense an running team. Now, I'm happy he turned us down because we have Kaepernick playing ready. Now one more win and no one can act like we'd have it any better with Manning. (BTW, happy > ok.) We don't win style points, a win is a win (and we might have lost with Manning, who knows? In other words I won't trade a win that happened for any hypothetical).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the good news is they've already used their get out of jail free card on the 4th and 29. I mean, seriously, who uses that in the regular season? They seemed to have some left for the win over the Broncos, though.

As much as I used to think Manning was ok to root for after the Niners were out, I was glad to see that we won't hear about him all the time this year. I was ok with Manning turning us down because I was an Alex supporter and thought we could squek on by because we had the better defense an running team. Now, I'm happy he turned us down because we have Kaepernick playing ready. Now one more win and no one can act like we'd have it any better with Manning. (BTW, happy > ok.) We don't win style points, a win is a win (and we might have lost with Manning, who knows? In other words I won't trade a win that happened for any hypothetical).

Haha, I don't think we need that one more win - I wouldn't trade Kap for "either" Manning - Regardless of what happens on the 2/3, we are more than good - for a long, long time.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haha, I don't think we need that one more win - I wouldn't trade Kap for "either" Manning - Regardless of what happens on the 2/3, we are more than good - for a long, long time.

If the Broncos beat the Ravens and Patriots, and then us, it would still be something people talk about. Idiots would talk about it if we lose to the Ravens. But even idiots can't say shit if Kaep wins it. There's nothing better than a SB win and a future (Manning's not that). If Smith won it, I wouldn't see the future, I'd see possibly gambling more next year.

Maybe I'm underestimating the idiots, I'm sure someone would say Manning would win now and mentor Kaep (when a non-idiot can see, he doesn't need mentoring from anyone else but Harbaugh - though Smith being helpful doesn't hurt). My bad, I forgot you were trying to refrain from talking about idiots. Let's just say the innumerous media, of which are some that are football challenged and hype-washed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Broncos beat the Ravens and Patriots, and then us, it would still be something people talk about. Idiots would talk about it if we lose to the Ravens. But even idiots can't say shit if Kaep wins it. There's nothing better than a SB win and a future (Manning's not that). If Smith won it, I wouldn't see the future, I'd see possibly gambling more next year.

Maybe I'm underestimating the idiots, I'm sure someone would say Manning would win now and mentor a Kaep that doesn't need mentoring from anyone else but Harbaugh - though Smith being helpful doesn't hurt.

I actually think Smith would make an excellent QB coach; I really hope we can somehow keep him. Yes, you're right, the I-dee-10-t's would have jumped all over that argument about Peyton - but then, that is why they are I-dee-10-t's ;)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Smith would make an excellent QB coach; I really hope we can somehow keep him. Yes, you're right, the I-dee-10-t's would have jumped all over that argument about Peyton - but then, that is why they are I-dee-10-t's ;)

If he does go to another team, would you accept him back when he retires as a QB coach? Or if he goes and becomes a bench player after years of being away, would you like him back (as a veteran backup, of course)? Or would you want someone else that could be the future/real insurance (for career injury) after Kaep? (Obviously, this depends on timing, Smith is just 2.5 years older.)

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
this game will come down to bowman vs rice and willis vs pitta. we'll contain torrey smith with double coverage and cully has the size to neutralize boldin. rice and pitta are the ravens' go-to guys on 3rd down - if we can shut them down in the passing game we will win by 2 scores.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he does go to another team, would you accept him back when he retires as a QB coach? Or if he goes and becomes a bench player after years of being away, would you like him back (as a veteran backup, of course)? Or would you want someone else that could be the future/real insurance (for career injury) after Kaep? (Obviously, this depends on timing, Smith is just 2.5 years older.)

QB coach - sure. Future back-up? Sure he fit our system.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco is far from a proven QB. He has played well in the playoffs but he has been a pretty inconsistent player for the most part. He isn't a game changer. Kaep may still be raw and "unknown" but he is certainly a game changer. And he made some really great throws in the last game. I would put him ahead of Flacco just for the fact that he can take over the entire game with his arm or legs (both even) and Flacco can't do that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
this game will come down to bowman vs rice and willis vs pitta. we'll contain torrey smith with double coverage and cully has the size to neutralize boldin. rice and pitta are the ravens' go-to guys on 3rd down - if we can shut them down in the passing game we will win by 2 scores.

yep, Rice first, Pitta second.

Rice by far because of his running AND catching. agree on Pitta, think they'll have to rely on him to move the chains.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Flacco is far from a proven QB. He has played well in the playoffs but he has been a pretty inconsistent player for the most part. He isn't a game changer. Kaep may still be raw and "unknown" but he is certainly a game changer. And he made some really great throws in the last game. I would put him ahead of Flacco just for the fact that he can take over the entire game with his arm or legs (both even) and Flacco can't do that.

IMO.....for passing only, it is about even as both QB's have passed effectively in the play-offs. i'd expect both to pass about the same as their last two games.

agree the difference is with Kap's running threat, BIG difference. doubt we'll run him more than three times (called runs), but the Ravens are forced to defend the threat. this should help a little with inside runs, and short passes.

so now, can our O-line move their D-line? we'll see?

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
IMO.....for passing only, it is about even as both QB's have passed effectively in the play-offs. i'd expect both to pass about the same as their last two games.

agree the difference is with Kap's running threat, BIG difference. doubt we'll run him more than three times (called runs), but the Ravens are forced to defend the threat. this should help a little with inside runs, and short passes.

so now, can our O-line move their D-line? we'll see?

We'll call up the run more than three times but whether he runs it or not is up to the defense.

If they give up the outside like GB then he'll keep it and take off and if they protect the outside like the Falcons did he'll give it to Gore up the middle.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We'll call up the run more than three times but whether he runs it or not is up to the defense.

If they give up the outside like GB then he'll keep it and take off and if they protect the outside like the Falcons did he'll give it to Gore up the middle.

oops, my bad. was only thinking of that run play in Atlanta, the 'sweep' that went nowhere. thanks for correcting me.

yes, we'll line up in the read option more than three times.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Torrey Smith over the top worries me (a la Julio Jones). He's no where near the overall receiver Jones is but he has the speed to go over the top.
Goldson can be caught staring at the WR run by him again.

Boldin is physical and will provide a good challenge against one of our CBs.

Ray Rice is a good back and has to be contained.

Pitta I am not worried about, nor anyone else on the Ravens skill positions.

I would say in order, Smith worries me the most, then Boldin. I think our LBs can contain Ray Rice but he'll still have a decent day, and our LBs can contain Pitta.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see our defense bracketing Boldin and doubling Smith. I see Willis spying Ray Rice out of the backfield and Bowman manning up on Pitta. This game will be about our front 4-5 getting to the QB. I don't see a scenario that has the Ravens beating us if we are getting to Flacco. Offensively, I just don't believe that Baltimore has the overall speed on defense to be able to A) defend VD B) defend Kaep and C) defend LMJ. I believe that if we make the mistake of running right at them with Gore, we turn this game into a slugfest, the only chance that their defense has of containing us. If we turn this game into a track meet, they don't have the horses with the kind of speed we do.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I see our defense bracketing Boldin and doubling Smith. I see Willis spying Ray Rice out of the backfield and Bowman manning up on Pitta. This game will be about our front 4-5 getting to the QB. I don't see a scenario that has the Ravens beating us if we are getting to Flacco. Offensively, I just don't believe that Baltimore has the overall speed on defense to be able to A) defend VD B) defend Kaep and C) defend LMJ. I believe that if we make the mistake of running right at them with Gore, we turn this game into a slugfest, the only chance that their defense has of containing us. If we turn this game into a track meet, they don't have the horses with the kind of speed we do.

yep, make the Ravens defend our run sideline to sideline. agree they won't keep up all game, and a few will break for good yardage. they'll have to decide between defending the middle, or outside? can Ray Lewis run sideline to sideline?

obviously, getting to Flacco will help a ton on passing plays. but to force more passing we have to contain Rice first. if Rice remains effective, they'll just continue leaning on him.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard on CSN Bay Area last night that Aldon was talking with Charles Haley before and after the NFC Championship game on things he could work on to improve his rush to the QB - it paid off because Aldon actually had a pretty solid game on Sunday.

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite the fact that he's been playing hurt for weeks now.

I think fatigue is playing a factor into this as well. He didn't play every snap last year so this is his first season ever playing close to a full season, and then some.

I'm interested in seeing what Cam J can do next season for us and if the Niners look into grabbing another DE/OLB to backup Brooks and Aldon, although DT is most likely the top priority