• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Position Breakdown: Offensive Line

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-Line: Pro Bowl In La’el Collins’ Future?

What We Know
Travis Frederick's retirement is a major loss, just like 2018 when he spent a year on the sidelines battling GBS. But this is still a veteran group with as much experience and talent as any line in the league.

Last year, right guard Zack Martin made his sixth Pro Bowl/All-Pro team in six NFL seasons despite missing most of training camp with a back injury. Left tackle Tyron Smith has dealt with his share of injuries, too, but he reached his seventh career Pro Bowl last year, breaking Hall of Famer Rayfield Wright's franchise record for the most Pro Bowls by a Cowboys offensive tackle.

La'el Collins is also back for his third season as the starting right tackle, and he's comfortable playing on the edge again, just as he did in college. After getting a five-year, $50 million contract extension last September, Collins delivered his best season since joining the Cowboys in 2015. The club believes he's a Pro Bowl caliber player alongside Smith and Martin.

The center spot will be up for grabs in training camp, and maybe left guard, too. But the line's foundation is still clear.

What's New
Travis Frederick has apparently shaved his beard, but that's not the biggest change for the five-time Pro Bowl center.

Frederick is retiring after seven seasons with the Cowboys, including a successful, Pro Bowl return from Guillain-Barre syndrome in 2019. He decided it was time for the "next chapter of life" after a self-described "difficult" year trying to reach his high standard of play. The Cowboys have placed him on the Reserve/Retired list and will spread out his $11 million salary cap hit over two years.

Who replaces Frederick? That remains to be seen. The Cowboys have been in this situation before when Frederick spent the 2018 season recovering from GBS. Among the candidates this time around: fourth-round draft pick Tyler Biadasz, also a former Wisconsin standout, and veteran Joe Looney, who filled in for Frederick in 2018.

In 2018, the club also made an in-season switch at offensive line coach, promoting former starting right tackle Marc Colombo to replace Paul Alexander. But with head coach Mike McCarthy now in charge, the Cowboys have hired one of McCarthy's long-time assistants, Joe Philbin, to oversee the position.

Philbin is one of four new assistants with previous NFL head coaching experience. He has coached the offensive line in Indianapolis and most recently Green Bay, where he worked on McCarthy's staff for seven years.

My other question besides the obvious.
Is I think Marc Colombo was a good Line coach. Now that, that has changed with the regime. Will Joe Philbin be as good, better or worse of a coach for the Line? Another question mark for this O-line.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say that I am thrilled with most of the coaching changes. The one I am concerned about is Philbin. Is he really a good OL coach or is he just a confidant of McCarthy that he wants around him

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling Biadass will be our next long term center. I think he should have been drafted much higher.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a feeling Biadass will be our next long term center. I think he should have been drafted much higher.
I agree long term, but I still feel it will be a tough year for rookies to step in day one considering how much less practice time they will have. The best case scenario would be Biadasz is good enough day one to win the job but I just don't think is the most likely scenario. But there is of course no concern if he isn't starting right away. It often takes time in the NFL for a guy to be ready

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree long term, but I still feel it will be a tough year for rookies to step in day one considering how much less practice time they will have. The best case scenario would be Biadasz is good enough day one to win the job but I just don't think is the most likely scenario. But there is of course no concern if he isn't starting right away. It often takes time in the NFL for a guy to be ready

We have a really good center so Biadasz would have to really really good to start over Looney. I could see it happening down the road for sure.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
O-Line: Pro Bowl In La’el Collins’ Future?

What We Know
Travis Frederick's retirement is a major loss, just like 2018 when he spent a year on the sidelines battling GBS. But this is still a veteran group with as much experience and talent as any line in the league.

Last year, right guard Zack Martin made his sixth Pro Bowl/All-Pro team in six NFL seasons despite missing most of training camp with a back injury. Left tackle Tyron Smith has dealt with his share of injuries, too, but he reached his seventh career Pro Bowl last year, breaking Hall of Famer Rayfield Wright's franchise record for the most Pro Bowls by a Cowboys offensive tackle.

La'el Collins is also back for his third season as the starting right tackle, and he's comfortable playing on the edge again, just as he did in college. After getting a five-year, $50 million contract extension last September, Collins delivered his best season since joining the Cowboys in 2015. The club believes he's a Pro Bowl caliber player alongside Smith and Martin.

The center spot will be up for grabs in training camp, and maybe left guard, too. But the line's foundation is still clear.

What's New
Travis Frederick has apparently shaved his beard, but that's not the biggest change for the five-time Pro Bowl center.

Frederick is retiring after seven seasons with the Cowboys, including a successful, Pro Bowl return from Guillain-Barre syndrome in 2019. He decided it was time for the "next chapter of life" after a self-described "difficult" year trying to reach his high standard of play. The Cowboys have placed him on the Reserve/Retired list and will spread out his $11 million salary cap hit over two years.

Who replaces Frederick? That remains to be seen. The Cowboys have been in this situation before when Frederick spent the 2018 season recovering from GBS. Among the candidates this time around: fourth-round draft pick Tyler Biadasz, also a former Wisconsin standout, and veteran Joe Looney, who filled in for Frederick in 2018.

In 2018, the club also made an in-season switch at offensive line coach, promoting former starting right tackle Marc Colombo to replace Paul Alexander. But with head coach Mike McCarthy now in charge, the Cowboys have hired one of McCarthy's long-time assistants, Joe Philbin, to oversee the position.

Philbin is one of four new assistants with previous NFL head coaching experience. He has coached the offensive line in Indianapolis and most recently Green Bay, where he worked on McCarthy's staff for seven years.

My other question besides the obvious.
Is I think Marc Colombo was a good Line coach. Now that, that has changed with the regime. Will Joe Philbin be as good, better or worse of a coach for the Line? Another question mark for this O-line.
Philbin is a good addition as OL coach. He did a fine job in that role at Green Bay.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a really good center so Biadasz would have to really really good to start over Looney. I could see it happening down the road for sure.
Biadasz had an excellent senior season at Wisconsin. I would expect him to be a serious candidate at starting center.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys have better depth on OL than previous seasons.. hopefully the new coaching staff realizes that William's is better suited as a backup OT.. mcgovern and biadaz are the future inside..

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looney was decent in 2018 but not great. I dont think it far fetched for him to be beaten out at some point this season.