• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pop is the Goat

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know PJ won 11 titles but Pop is again in the WCF. Fucking amazing coach. He destroyed Dantoni again and is undefeated against him (no surprise there). And i think hes got a legit shot at winning against the GSW.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a side note i recently heard Sinbad do an interview where he revealed that Pop tried to recruit him out of Air Force.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not Goat.

But, he's getting there.

If he overcomes the Warriors and Cavs....

Yeah, he's in the conversation.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know PJ won 11 titles but Pop is again in the WCF. Fucking amazing coach. He destroyed Dantoni again and is undefeated against him (no surprise there). And i think hes got a legit shot at winning against the GSW.
He is the GOAT in my opinion. I just wish he was coaching the Mavs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe not Goat.

But, he's getting there.

If he overcomes the Warriors and Cavs....

Yeah, he's in the conversation.

He is in the conversation now even if he never wins another game.

It is the same argument as when comparing players. SA was Probably the most talented team in the league a couple times, but they certainly won many series against teams with as much or more.

For just about every one of PJ's titles he had the best squad. Now, it isn't easy at all to coach talent, and PJ was the best at getting great players to put aside differences and work together. That said, I know he would not have 11 and I am not sure he would even have 5 if he had led the Spurs instead of the Bulls and Lakers.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is in the conversation now even if he never wins another game.

It is the same argument as when comparing players. SA was Probably the most talented team in the league a couple times, but they certainly won many series against teams with as much or more.

For just about every one of PJ's titles he had the best squad. Now, it isn't easy at all to coach talent, and PJ was the best at getting great players to put aside differences and work together. That said, I know he would not have 11 and I am not sure he would even have 5 if he had led the Spurs instead of the Bulls and Lakers.
No.

Like LeBron and Jordan, I'm not ready yet.

I'm not even a big PJ fan.

He's more of a psychologist than a Coach.

But, he took two franchises to the promise land, multiple times.

Pop has the longevity.

Consistent winning for over a Decade and several rings.

Can't go wrong, unless you hire Phil as your GM.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Doug Collins not been canned after losing, again, to the Pistons, Phil would just be some ex player that loved the Dead.

One of the most overrated figures in all of sports imo.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had Doug Collins not been canned after losing, again, to the Pistons, Phil would just be some ex player that loved the Dead.

One of the most overrated figures in all of sports imo.

No.

He deserves his rep because he was great at what he did. But, if we are talking purely about coaching I think there are a few as good or better. Phil was an amazing motivator and great at getting his guys to focus on a common goal.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

He deserves his rep because he was great at what he did. But, if we are talking purely about coaching I think there are a few as good or better. Phil was an amazing motivator and great at getting his guys to focus on a common goal.
Jordan, Shaq, Kobe.

In their primes.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan, Shaq, Kobe.

In their primes.

No argument he had great talent.

Have you ever coached a loaded team like that? I have. It isn't nearly as easy as you think. The better the player, the bigger the ego in most cases. Getting those egos on the same page is really hard to do.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No argument he had great talent.

Have you ever coached a loaded team like that? I have. It isn't nearly as easy as you think. The better the player, the bigger the ego in most cases. Getting those egos on the same page is really hard to do.
Unfortunately most of the teams I've coached are varsity, with JV talent. Lol. Or JV, with the "best" talent on Varsity. (My God is this season frustrating. I have six freshman. And one senior, who hasn't played since I had him as a freshman. We have some decent ERAs, since we commit so many errors.)

I do respect Phils ability to deal with egos.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pops brainfart of not putting rebounders in in the finals vs the heat on the last play and letting ray get that game winner off. And today's big time blown lead to steal game 1 on the road makes me question his greatness

Basically Spurs had no business blowing either game (even Leonard getting hurt today). No business

Fuck GS couldn't play any worse. If there was a game to steal it was this one

Last edited:

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfortunately most of the teams I've coached are varsity, with JV talent. Lol. Or JV, with the "best" talent on Varsity. (My God is this season frustrating. I have six freshman. And one senior, who hasn't played since I had him as a freshman. We have some decent ERAs, since we commit so many errors.)

I do respect Phils ability to deal with egos.

I have done both.

I coached for 7 years at a high school where just about every one of our guys went on to play in college at some level. We had about 4-5 D1 guys a year.

It was fun for awhile, but I actually prefer my current job working with an average team. I feel like the players are a lot more appreciative of the efforts of their coaches.

When the 5th and 6th guys off your bench come to your school because they think they are scholarship players, there is a ton of pressure on everyone. You end up spending most of your off court time dealing with parents who are pissed about playing time, or sometimes worse, the parent of the star who thinks every possession should go through their son.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pops brainfart of not putting rebounders in in the finals vs the heat on the last play and letting ray get that game winner off. And today's big time blown lead to steal game 1 on the road makes me question his greatness

He made a decision .

He opted to go small to better contest the 3. Rebounders are worthless if you give up a clean look and the shot goes in.

Anytime you have a last second defensive possession, the coach must make sure he doesn't have any mismatches on the floor. The Heat went small, and Pop opted to match. It was the right call, IMO.

Had he stayed big and given up an open shot, your criticism would be much more valid. Ray Allen made one of the best shots in Finals' history. Sometimes you just have to tip your cap.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree 100% that Pop is the GOAT. He built it, molded it, guided it for over 20 years, through 3 anchor superstars, 5 championships and has held a spot at or near the top of the game almost every year. I can't stand the Spurs but it's been amazing to watch. The only pro coach who impresses me as much, who has ever impressed me as much, is Bill Belichick. And let's be real here, Grep Popovich could have probably walked into Chicago or LA with those teams, those superstars, and won the same. A couple more, couple less maybe. But Phil Jackson is showing that he can't build like Pop has. I don't think there's any question in my lifetime Pop has been the best.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a side note i recently heard Sinbad do an interview where he revealed that Pop tried to recruit him out of Air Force.

yeah he played for Univ of Denver for 2 yrs but couldn't make the Air Force team

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of pure x's and o's coaching skill, knowing the game itself better than anyone, I'm partial to Larry Brown, only coach to win an NCAA and NBA championship, and his NBA one was with a team with ZERO big time stars on it. He also took a shit ton of teams to the playoffs.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, guys, but its clearly Lue.

All-time Playoff winning percentage
Lue 83%
Kerr 74%
Phil 69%
Pop 62%
Spo 62%

Case closed.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best coach or best front office executive? Or both?